Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

240v power supply troubleshooting for noobie

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obeahsf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: 240v power supply troubleshooting for noobie Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey all,

I know there are several related threads, but I haven't found anything that addresses my questions exactly. Sorry for redundancy, if in fact this is a repeat.

I am putting together a 10gal system running 5500w heating elements. I am in a rental and have one 220v outlet that is being used by a dryer. I do not have the budget to install another 220, nor do I have permission. I also plan to move in a few years to a permanent location, and would like my expenditures to be more liquid than a $600 install I have to leave.

I saw that Kal mentioned it should be fine to used an appropriate gauged extension to run from dryer outlet. I wonder if there is a 2-outlet extension (splitter) that people might recommend, so that I don't have to pull the dryer out every time I brew. Obviously I would not use dryer and brewery at the same time. Is this even advisable?

Also, due to my supreme lack of understanding of electricity, is it possible to use a step up converter like one of the following instead of going into the dryer outlet?

http://www.220-electronics.com/diamond-series-voltage-converters-stabilizers.html

http://www.220converters.com/Step-Up-Down-Voltage-Converters.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQiAsf_BBRDMpoOHw4aSq4QBEiQAPm7DL1z8V3R0SnVJCWZmFyE6k8BKb4wXB0bWUaXor3ERc_gaAlb48P8HAQ

I assume if I use the latter, I can install GFCI inline? Do I also need to add something to bridge my main breaker?

Thank you for any assistance to a novice.

Michael
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 240v power supply troubleshooting for noobie Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

obeahsf wrote:
I saw that Kal mentioned it should be fine to used an appropriate gauged extension to run from dryer outlet. I wonder if there is a 2-outlet extension (splitter) that people might recommend, so that I don't have to pull the dryer out every time I brew. Obviously I would not use dryer and brewery at the same time. Is this even advisable?

No. It's not safe. I would advise against it. For safety reasons electrical wiring in a house doesn't allow more than one wall receptacle to installed on a 30A circuit, so for the same reasons you shouldn't use a splitter outside the wall as any time you run both devices at the same time, you're overdrawing on the circuit. The breaker should pop and protect the wiring before it melt or catches fire but it's not a situation you want to put yourself in.

Technically want you want to do with an external splitter is certainly safer than splitting in the walls since you're there and are paying attention and know not to use both devices at the same time, but accidents do happen, so best to not give a chance for this situation to happen. People do do what you propose but I don't feel it prudent to say it's "ok".

Quote:
Also, due to my supreme lack of understanding of electricity, is it possible to use a step up converter like one of the following instead of going into the dryer outlet?

http://www.220-electronics.com/diamond-series-voltage-converters-stabilizers.html

These are 110V to 220V converters and while they may work at doing that, they can't pull more power out of a regular 15A wall outlet. A standard 15A wall outlet can only output 120V x 15A = 1800 watts. A 30A output (like a dryer outlet) can output 7200W. A difference of about 5400W.

Unfortunately you can't make up that difference out of thin air. Physics is finicky that way. Smile

While that device can up the voltage, the max power output has to stay the same (or actually be a bit lower as there are losses in the conversion).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Builder

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a short extension cord, like 4 or 5 feet, that would remain plugged into the wall and then you use the female end to switch back and forth between the dryer and brew controller, so you don't have to pull the dryer out each time?

Or if you want to build another project, you could pick up a box, switch, and reversing motor starter to switch between the two outlets. The reversing motor starter is two relays connected by a lever that doesn't allow both relays to pull in at the same time, otherwise you'd have a phase to phase short.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extension cord is a temporary connection device.... you are not supposed to run your dryer on an extension cord. An extension cord is not a substitute for building wiring.

By code a dryer needs to be connected to a receptacle with a UL approved power cord since it is an appliance. A do-it-yourself cord doesn't fit that description.

(The electrical code requires the receptacle to be installed near the point of use to eliminate the need for an extension cord in the first place).

Kal

Builder

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then, one more idea you can't argue.

Plug in your control panel.

Leave it plugged in.

Get a clothesline.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work! Wink

P.S. Just to be clear, I don't want to argue or dissuade people from trying things, but the electrical code-following monkey / engineer in me has to point out what the rules are so that people are aware . What someone chooses to do at the end of the day is completely up to them. I just can't in good conscience go against code and say "yeah, that'll be fine" even though in 99.999% of the cases it will be perfectly fine. I probably say this a lot here, but if anyone has questions about what to do with things that involve the electrical system in their homes, it's always best to ask an electrician instead of asking random people on the internet, and that includes asking me. The problem with asking random people on the internet is that it never takes too long before you find someone that gives you an answer that suits your need (for better or for worse). An electrician is liable and should never recommend something against code (in theory).

Cheers!

Kal

rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
That would work! Wink

P.S. Just to be clear, I don't want to argue or dissuade people from trying things, but the electrical code-following monkey / engineer in me has to point out what the rules are so that people are aware . What someone chooses to do at the end of the day is completely up to them. I just can't in good conscience go against code and say "yeah, that'll be fine" even though in 99.999% of the cases it will be perfectly fine. I probably say this a lot here, but if anyone has questions about what to do with things that involve the electrical system in their homes, it's always best to ask an electrician instead of asking random people on the internet, and that includes asking me. The problem with asking random people on the internet is that it never takes too long before you find someone that gives you an answer that suits your need (for better or for worse). An electrician is liable and should never recommend something against code (in theory).

Cheers!

Kal

Exactly
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is... you are asking an Electrical Engineer... he resides in Canada ( all the love to Canada!)... to sway you from crossing NFPA 70... our National Electrical Code in the US... what US electricians use... for a guy in Thailand!

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: