Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Grain Bed Floats While Preparing for Sparge

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Brewer

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Grain Bed Floats While Preparing for Sparge Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Howdy everyone. I have been out of business for quite a while and just did a batch of Blond ale yesterday. This isn't the first time I've had this problem. I have a Kal clone with virtually no differences. 20 gallon Blichmann with their perforated mash bottom. Anyway, I mash out then stop the circulation by slowly closing the valve going into the mash tun then stopped the pump. I then change the hoses around in prepararation for sparging. During this time my grain bed floats to the top. Is this normal and does anyone have any suggestions; what I did wrong or didn't do right?

I used my foop scoop to gently press down on the grain bed during sparging to get the sparge water on top of the bed. It wasn't fun and I was pretty frustrated. I did ok on the batch and got a good pre-fermentation gravity of 1.052. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grain that floats is just grain thats dried out and lost its weight, its normal in small amounts and changes from bag to bag
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushing down on the grain bed is going to disturb the natural filter that has formed over time. I wouldn't do it.

What sort of mash efficiency do you get when you do nothing?
What sort of mash efficiency do you get when you do push down on the grain bed?

My point being is that the only possible downside to floating is that you're maybe not rinsing the grains properly so that mash efficiency suffers slightly. If there's no difference, then don't worry about it.

I've seen mine float sometimes. Not really sure why. I just leave it alone. It's never caused any issues or missed gravities (ie. lower mash efficiency).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you talking about the whole grain bed? In my opinion its not done if that happens

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I brewed Kal's Citra Double IPA and had the same thing happen. I only had about and inch of wort over the top of the grain bed when I was mashing. The grain bed is compressed while mashing because the pump is sucking it down. When you release the suction the grain bed expands, making it look like it is floating. In fact it is just a much looser grain bed.

I just sparged as usual, and got my normal 85% mash efficiency.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
Crazy Brewer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, y'all! I think 701pilot has a good point. My efficiency was normal so perhaps I worry too much.

Mug

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your efficiency wasn't affected then there's no need to worry! Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: