Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating elements drawing 20% less power in 1 bbl system

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flandre

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Heating elements drawing 20% less power in 1 bbl system Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

I have built a 1 bbl system with all the relevant parts purchased on this site:

50A Control Panel for 30+ gallons (Completely assembled and tested)
2 Heating Element Kits (Pre-Assembled) Wattage: 5500W
50A control panel power cord (no GFI)

My problem is that the heating elements are not drawing enough power, the worst part is that I am having a really hard time going from 207 to 212F right before the boil. the only way for me to get to 212 is to keep the lid on until it almost boils and hope that I take the lid of before a boil over happens. Not fun.

On the control panel I see 240V, however I am only getting around 36 amps when both heating elements are on (either in HLT or boil kettle, it does not make a difference).

When I calculate 36 Amps * 240 Volts I get around 8640W or 4320W per element instead of 5500W.

I already read the followng thread but it did not really help me with my issue.
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27819

Any ideas what I am missing.

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andre,

Sorry for the troubles.

Is this a new problem that's only recently surfaced? Did it used to work before? Did you used to see something different on the amp meter? Reason I ask is that the control panel and parts were purchased back in May 2014. Just want to understand if something has changed.

In the boil kettle are you running the PID at 100% in manual mode?

Quote:
On the control panel I see 240V, however I am only getting around 36 amps when both heating elements are on (either in HLT or boil kettle, it does not make a difference).

Is the 36 amps what you are seeing on the amp meter? Is it consistent and does not change? (within 0.1 or so).

With everything off and unplugged, can you pop the covers off the heating element boxes and confirm it says 5500W and not 4500W? It might also say the Camco model number. The more information you have the better. Looks more or less like this (you likely have older non-stainless base elements but the idea is the same):

Let us know what you find out.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Flandre

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this a new problem that's only recently surfaced? Did it used to work before? Did you used to see something different on the amp meter? Reason I ask is that the control panel and parts were purchased back in May 2014. Just want to understand if something has changed.

Honestly I am not sure if it has always been like this. Our boil volume in the past was around 40 gallons which we have reduced to 36 gallons but the issue raising it from 207 to 212 remained. I have never paid much attention to the numbers on the control panel since I am not really all that knowledgable when it comes to electricity. Embarassed

Quote:
In the boil kettle are you running the PID at 100% in manual mode?

Yes, the issue is the same when I run the HLT which is not run in manual mode

Quote:
Is the 36 amps what you are seeing on the amp meter? Is it consistent and does not change? (within 0.1 or so).

Yes.

Quote:
With everything off and unplugged, can you pop the covers off the heating element boxes and confirm it says 5500W and not 4500W? It might also say the Camco model number. The more information you have the better. Looks more or less like this (you likely have older non-stainless base elements but the idea is the same):

Need to check later at home. Will post update.
Flandre

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the cover and I eventually found that it it says 4500W on the heating elements Sad

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0MeuOyDUXY8a3ZmVjdndU1zUTQ/view?usp=sharing
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the mix-up Andre! Our mistake. Email us at sales@TheElectricBrewery.com and we'll get this sorted out at no cost to you.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: