Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Volumes US and UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Volumes US and UK Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Im getting very close to finishing my brewing setup and have hit a headache when looking at ingredients for the first brew.

On Kals first brew guide it is based on 10 gallon brewing, i just need to check what gallons that works to are US or UK imperial, our common keg (firkin) is 9 gal 1/4 BBL which i work out to 40.9Ltr 72pints i think these volumes are classed as imperial gallons 1 gal 4.54Ltr if thats what Kals volumes are too 10 Gal is perfect to fill a firkin and a few bottles.

I have read that US gallon is 3.78 Ltr but cant see a Ltr volume mentioned in his guide to check which it is, I have also looked at beer pro website recipes too which i would like to use and have the same problem.

If everyone in the beer world uses one type of gallon thats great Very Happy

Hopefully someone can give me a definitive answer as im stuck.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I post on this site is in US gallons.

I think you'll find the same is true for most books and other websites too unless you specifically know it's a UK site or book. 95% of brewing material out there seems USA based so that's why I do everything in US gallons and use pounds and ounces for weight for recipes. (I'm in Canada so technically I should be using litres for volume and kilograms for weight)

1 US gallon = 3.785 litres
1 Imperial (UK) gallon = 4.546 litres
1 US gallon = 0.833 Imperial (UK) gallons

When in doubt, Google "unit converter" and you can convert anything.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tenchi

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Kal, were just a bit in both camps here.

The beer pro program has a nice conversion tool and multiplying tool that i can use now im confident on which gallon is been used.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why this would be confusing to someone who's paying attention as I'm in Canada (so they would assume Imperial gallons) - I've now gone through the recipes and indicated that they're for US gallons. Just to clear! Wink

Kal

Tenchi

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal your a great help as always, out of interest is your pale ale starter recipe posted on beer tools on-line im just getting my head around the software, have entered your recipe and cant get it to match exactly, shows 5.05% alcohol not your target, not a big difference and everything else matches but would like to know why it differers for peace of mind especially as im gonna be converting volumes and maybe multiplying it up a bit?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenchi wrote:
Thanks Kal your a great help as always, out of interest is your pale ale starter recipe posted on beer tools on-line im just getting my head around the software, have entered your recipe and cant get it to match exactly, shows 5.05% alcohol not your target, not a big difference and everything else matches but would like to know why it differers for peace of mind especially as im gonna be converting volumes and maybe multiplying it up a bit?

I'm not sure which recipe you mean when you say "pale ale starter". Do you mean the Electric Pale Ale at 6%? Or the Electric Pale Ale Sessionable version at 4.3%?

Every brewing setup will have a different mash efficiency, requiring different amounts of grain to hit the expected abv % listed in the recipe. So me having the recipe posted elsewhere or for different software isn't going to help you as your efficiency is going to be different anyway.

All my recipes are done at a 95% efficiency. Plug in the amounts or percentages for the fermentables used (grain, sugars, etc) and then play with the mash efficiency value in your specific software until it matches the ABV % you want. The software will automatically adjust the amounts to compensate. For example, I list a recipe requiring 10 lbs of grain to get 5% ABV and my efficiency is 100%, if your efficiency is 50% you would require 20 lbs of grain to get 5%.

Kal

Tenchi

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kal that was a poor description from me, I am talking about the one in the brew day guide you have you actually describe it as a blonde ale not pale, sorry for the confusion:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step

Im just punching the figures in as you explain to see if i am understanding the software correctly but come up with a different ABV, only slightly 5.05 not 5.08 but would hope to have got the same ABV as the figures are identical to yours that i can see? maybe its just a software version difference, the one i downloaded look newer than the one in the guide.

[/img]

blonde ale.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.43 KB
 Viewed:  10720 Time(s)

blonde ale.png

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenchi wrote:
Im just punching the figures in as you explain to see if i am understanding the software correctly but come up with a different ABV, only slightly 5.05 not 5.08 but would hope to have got the same ABV as the figures are identical to yours that i can see? maybe its just a software version difference, the one i downloaded look newer than the one in the guide.

Ah! Now I understand. Thanks for explaining and the screenshot.

I tried it with the version of Beer Tools Pro I'm using today (the newest version) and like you it also comes up as 5.05% instead of 5.08%. I would attribute that to changes in the software or changes to the diastatic power of the grain in the included database over the years. I wrote the guide years ago.

I wouldn't worry about it. A difference of 0.03% in alcohol content is completely unmeasurable and will not be noticed.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: