Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Continuous Rise Mash Schedule

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The-Wall

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Continuous Rise Mash Schedule Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have been using The Electric Brewery control panel in a way that I have not seen discussed here before, I have not read all of the discussions so set me straight if this is not new to any of you.
My idea was to save time on brew day, I thought if I could mash over night then I would be ready to sparge in the morning and save a few hours on the actual brewday. I have only Sundays to brew, I do shiftwork, so if I work Saturday night until 11pm, I get my water ready in the morning and have my wife turn on the control panel about an hour before I get home, when I get home the Mash water is at temp, I throw in the grain, check mash pH, turn on recirculation and go to sleep. in the morning mash is at mashout temp and I begin the sparge.

The PID recommended by Kal has a setting called OUTH, with this you can set the power level desired to the HLT element from 0-100% and still remain on auto, this means that I can adjust through trial and error the time it takes for the mash temp to rise from the protien rest of 132f to mashout temp of 170f , I find that on my system 37% power to the element raises the mash temp from 132f to 170f in about 2 hours, taking it slowly through the beta and alpha amylase steps and then holds it at 170f until I get up in the morning to sparge. Let me know if you have any Questions, Cheers!!
TheGecko

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea. Makes me think of the Duvel mash approach.
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea indeed! I missed this post the first time around... Keep in mind that the 37% value that works for one person may not work for others as it depends on heat loss, batch size, heating element wattage, etc. So some trial and error is required.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: