Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

[WANTED] Half-Barrel kegs

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djosimd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: [WANTED] Half-Barrel kegs Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi there,

I am looking for 3 half-barrel kegs in the Ottawa Region (Ontario, Canada) to build my brewing system. Since theres
a deposit on those it seems distributors are not willing to let them go (trust me, I have been looking for those bad boys for a while now).

Idealy, I would like them not drilled.

Thank you brewing community !

Djosimd
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: [WANTED] Half-Barrel kegs Reply with quote

djosimd wrote:
Since theres a deposit on those it seems distributors are not willing to let them go...

It's not the deposit. It's because what you're asking is illegal.

Please do not steal from breweries by offering to purchase kegs from a distributor, even if you offer to pay the deposit. You're stealing from the brewery when you do this. They lose money.

The deposit the bar or distributor pays does not pay for the cost of the keg. The Distributors are not "buying" the kegs. They do not own them. They remain the property of the brewery. The deposit exists merely as an incentive for the bar or distributor to return them. Empty kegs cost considerably more than the $50 deposit. They're often more than x5 that price to buy.

Kijiji and Craigslist is full of unscrupulous people who try and sell off used kegs for the price of the deposit. Please do not support this by buying from them. You're hurting the brewery.

To legally acquire 15 gallon kegs, talk to the brewery directly. They may have old ones they are decommissioning. The other option is to purchase them new, but that will cost you as much a good kettle (which is much easier to brew with IMHO).

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
djosimd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Kal,

Don't worry I am full aware. I was in contact with numerous craft brewery in the region too and I was unsucessfull. It was never in my attention to hurt breweries, and this is why I contacted about a few dozen of them with a very few negative answers. I just felt I dindnt have eescribe to strangers my whole research process.

In my emails, I made it clear that i was looking for decommissionned kegs without any answers and this is why I am asking if maybe other homebrewers were more successful with their communications with breweries.w
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect then!

Remember that anyone who pays a deposit does not own them, so they're not theirs to sell or give away. So it doesn't make sense to contact anyone who's paid a deposit. That's why I mentioned what I did, since you brought up the concern about deposits. Quite often people think that paying the deposit means they own the keg.

I would imagine that breweries get dozens of calls every month from people looking for cheap/used kegs. Legit used kegs are most definitely hard to come by.

Some are available here, with or without fittings: http://www.homebrewing.org/Brew-Pots_c_79.html?AffId=95
This one's on sale: http://www.homebrewing.org/Used-155-Keggle-with-Coupling_p_4840.html?AffId=95

Good luck with your searches and your brewery setup.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: