Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Brewing #160 wit beer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFITZ

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Brewing #160 wit beer Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
With my brew components completed and water chemistry under tow I set out to brew a simple recipe #160; my favorite wheat Hoegarrden. All went very well. I received my grains rolled. I checked the I'll roll my own damn grain box but that's ok. I got my initial PH to 5.8 then into mash adjusted to find 5.6. I'll take that! Mash went well running wide open. I think I was a bit over ambitious attempting the full recipe using keggles but I pulled it off. Actuall my HLT is 20 gal. but mashing and sparging the 14 gal. in a 15 gal keggle, let's just say it was a challenge. Moving on to the boil. Ok the phrase challenge at the Sparge, that was understatement. A 14 gal boil in a 15 gal keggle CAN be done. Gracefully no, but it can be done. Living proof here!

All went very well. I even avoided any actual boil over. A little slosh here & there but hey,,,, thank all that I finally got low enough on the rim I could enjoy a full out rolling boil for 45 min. After reaching 50 min of boil time I crushed my coriander got my orange peel ready. Added right on time, I mean this was just too easy! Then came time to cool.. After about 10 minutes my chugger clogged on account of the orange peel, dammit!! It took me about 1/2 hour to figure out the full impact but I suspected. Finally I disconnected the "out" port on the pump and nothing, just bubbles.

I rushed a pump swap with a 12v diaphragm I had on hand to continue chilling. At least the counter flow chilled in spite of the food I chose to brew with. I chilled to 72f and sent it into the Ferm. Thank God!! It was all simple enough until the musical pumps. I pulled apart the chugger after I was finished finding orange peel in every inlet.

Bottom line, I suspect many use a false bottom in the boiler, that's a thought when using food bits in brew. Should the orange peels have beer minced a bit?
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFITZ, here's what mine looked like a few weeks ago! You defiantly need a filter. Did you try a whirlpool ?

Last edited by Tennessee on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
DFITZ

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did. I had to physically whirlpool though as it was after the pump issues were notice. Then after I resolved the issue with the diaphragm pump it didn't really matter any more. I'll just order some mesh and solder a filter for my intake.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: