Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Understanding water chemistry when mashing/ sparging

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFITZ

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Understanding water chemistry when mashing/ sparging Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I'm planning a wit beer on this sites recipe section. Using softened R/O I'm finding my PH 6.24. Tested just learning to use my ph meter. Calibrated using buffers. So let's start there. Calibrated using buffer for 7.01 with a temp of 23. Checked my calibration using buffer for 4.01 and hit spot on so I'm confident the meter calibrated properly. I was expecting a lower reading on my RO but that's life. Living in a very large agriculture area it takes a lot to get good water. For my brewery I opted for a 100gpd portable 6 stage system and that works for me. A little slow but I have a couple 55 gal plastic drums to hold my water so life is good. I'll just have to brew hard before winter.

Anyway. I didn't see a ph requirement for mashing on this recipe only sparging. Is 6.24 too high? If so what can I do to lower my ph?
jimmiec

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do mean softened ro water? Are you adding water softener
? A lot of softeners are a lot of salt so be careful.

The biggest question is, what is your mash pH? I'm sure there is a calculator out there to estimate what it will be with your water pH and malts. If you need to lower it more to get it around 5.2 then you can use acid malt or phosphoric acid. There is not much acidic in light colored malts.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Understanding water chemistry when mashing/ sparging Reply with quote

DFITZ wrote:
Anyway. I didn't see a ph requirement for mashing on this recipe only sparging. Is 6.24 too high? If so what can I do to lower my ph?

Take a look at the MASHING step of my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP article. It includes complete details on mash ph targets:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step?page=6

6.24 is too high. I don't think it's even possible to have a mash pH that high once mashed in even with the lightest of grains so that's curious.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
DFITZ

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Understanding water chemistry when mashing/ sparging Reply with quote

kal wrote:
6.24 is too high. I don't think it's even possible to have a mash pH that high once mashed in even with the lightest of grains so that's curious.

Kal

That was a water ph reading not mash
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pH of the water used for mashing taken alone doesn't matter. Worry about the resulting mash pH once the water's mixed with the grist (and whatever else you've added such as salts). pH taken alone doesn't matter because it can often drop like a stone once any grain is added, especially if the residual alkalinity is low. For example, my city water has a very high pH (over 9) but it's very soft (has a low buffering capacity or residual alkalinity) so adding any grain makes the pH drop a lot. For sparging I do lower the water's pH however to below 6. You could treat all your water at the start to get to below 6 but there's no need as the grain will likely do that for you pretty well in the mash and as mentioned above, it's the end result of the mash pH that matters anyway so that's what you need to measure.

If your mash ph is too high after adding grain, salts and stirring, add some lactic or other acid. For complete details see the MASHING step of my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP article:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step?page=6

More info here too:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=4

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also consider that kilned grains like chocolate or black patent drop the ph quite a bit, especially if using ro water. i use ro water and even without the specialty grains, my ph is on the low end of the desired range. i often add baking sode to my mash to bring the ph up. as for the kilned malts, i'll hold those out of the mash until the last 15 minutes or so, just so i don't need to add an excessive amount of baking soda to the mash.
DFITZ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. After further reading (mostly from Bru'nwater) I've gained a better understanding in where I need to be with my water. I've come to realize precisely what Kal offered. Again, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: