Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

SS Brewtech 14 gallon vs 7 gallon concical

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: SS Brewtech 14 gallon vs 7 gallon concical Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm looking at upgrading my fermentation system. Currently, I have a Kal Clone (save using Keggle for MLT and a 10 gallon no name BK at the moment) system, I went with 50A BTB just to have future growth capability.

Fermentation wise, I'm currently on the 5 gallon bucket in the closet method.

Serving wise, I'm on a 5 gallon Corny Keg system.

I'm specifically looking at the Brew Master Editions, with the conical mounted cooling coil, and the FTSS, with both heat and cooling. Plan on using a Corny of glycol for my cool water source.

Kegerator and Fermenter would live in my detached, unheated unairconditioned garage in Virginia Beach, VA.

So I'm looking at up to 100F Ambient in the summer and down to about 30F in the winter.

Here is my conundrum: I'm out of the country 7 months a year, and honestly don't drink enough to justify making multiple keg batches of stuff.

The 7 gallon would work fine with my current batch size, but then I'm stuck with 5 gallon batches unless I run multiple fermenters.

The 14 gallon has the problem of the cooling coil being too high in the unit to do lagers. Part of the reason to go conical/temp controlled is to try out lagers and also move out of the closet with buckets to get some temperature stability.

SS Brewtech says with a 5g Batch (so 7g into fermenter) there is enough wort in contact with the cooling coils to keep ales happy up to 95-100, but it will only work for crash cooling and lagers with at least 10g in there to get enough of the coil in contact.

On one hand, I'm a fan of buying once, even if it's a little more money. On the other hand, I don't want to have $1k wrapped up in fermentation tanks that don't work like I want for the bulk of my batches.

They said winter, if you have to keep beer warm, batch size is no issue, as the heater is on the cone part.

Anyone have to make this decision and what did you do? I'm interested in hearing all sides.

Cost isn't really an issue, it's $650 for the 7 gallon and $775 for the 14. Temp control kit is same cost either way, as are the wheel and blowoff tube kits I would be buying.

One side thought is buying the non BME version, buying the FTSS kit, and mounting the coil in the cone, but I don't know if that would fit, or if it would cause problems when you start doing bigger batches.
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 14 gallon SS Fermenter. I bought before the BME, so I installed the Coil in the side. I haven't tried less that a 10 gallon (10.5-11.0 gallon), so I can't answer the question on 5 gallon batch in the 14 gallon fermenter. I can say that installing the coil in the cone is not possible, just not enough room. I can't open my fermenter and snap a photo, because it full at the moment. Personal I would go with the 14 gallon and brew 10 gallon batches. Drink one and store the other.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the 14, I figured a way to make the coil work low enough.. Pics to follow in a week or two.
Master

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Mod.. I have a document explaining it but the file size is too big.. So I'm going to cut/paste the text then put some of the pics in.

Modifying a 14 gallon BME to do 5 gallon batches.
Assumed you have:
14 gallon BME
FTSS Kit

Extra stuff you need:
2- 17mm Compression Plug Kit
17mm Greenlee Punch or METRIC step bit.
Tubing bender that fits ½” tube.

Extra stuff I installed:
Thermowell

So you want to modify your 14 gallon BME to do 5 gallon batches? Prepare to drill holes in your new shiny fermenter.

Okay, now that you are still with me, I’m going to assume you do this from the initial unpacking.
Unpack you Chronical and put all valves in, thermowells, etc.
Aim the racking arm “up”

Measuring you’ll note that every 1.5” you lower the coil, you gain another gallon of wort in contact with the FTSS coil.

Remove the FTSS coil by removing the nuts on the outside on the barb fittings.

Using a protractor, I measured the cone to be 30 degrees. You don’t really need to measure it, but I used it do establish that the tube should be bent about 60” down to fit the cone and still have the flange perpendicular to the surface.

Using the tubing bender, carefully bend the tube about 60 degrees downward, as close to the fitting end as possible.

With the Racking arm up, lower the coil into the cone, and locate how far down you can place it without the coils touching the racking arm, thermowell, or the side. Mark this location and center punch it. I recommend marking and starting your hole on the inside, to avoid errors with transferring the location to the outside.

Once the hole is drilled/punched, (BE EXACTLY 17mm) and debrurred, put the lower fitting through the hole, and mark where the new upper fitting hole needs to be.

Mount the coil and tighten up the nuts. Ensure you didn’t roll or pinch an o-ring.

sing the two 17mm compression plugs, plug the two holes from the original coil locations. They can also be used for other purposes, but I plugged mine.

I put a second thermowell in, so with 5 gallon batches the temperature probe would be closer to the middle of the batch. Find something about the same length as the part of the thermowell that goes in the inside.. Use this to find a good location. Mine was in line with the coil fittings.

After seeing no gross leaks, I then filled it to the brim, put the lid on, and used the barb fitting plumbed to my CO2 system and pressurized it to where the pressure relief valve was just starting to hiss.. No leaks. But it’s better to check with water than have a leak with wort.

5gallons.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.78 KB
 Viewed:  19172 Time(s)

5gallons.jpg

HoleLocating.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.43 KB

HoleLocating.jpg

BentCoil.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62 KB

BentCoil.jpg

Measurement.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.34 KB

Measurement.jpg

Master

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow up, I've been using this for both 10 and 5 gallon batches, and it has worked superbly.
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can say that installing the coil in the cone is not possible, just not enough room.

OK, I bow to the Master, ... pun intended ...
I will be looking for some sauce to make my words a bit more palatable. Very Happy

Great Job.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Master

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking I may have to get my welding involved, I was prepared to do some small diameter sanitary welding, but I didn't need it.

I've fermented 5 batches of beer, 2 of which were lagers in there, and it's worked great.

Master was my callsign in the Navy, not so much my brewing expertise.

Lets just say put callsign in front of my last name and it makes a lot more sense. Because pilots have the sense of humor of a 12 year old.
Diveralan

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS Brewtech now sells coil extensions that allow you to lower the coil in the Brewmaster editions so you can brew partial batches. I would think this should make it quite easy to ferment small batches in the 14 gal chronical.

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lets just say put callsign in front of my last name and it makes a lot more sense. Because pilots have the sense of humor of a 12 year old.

I resemble that remark.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: