Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Brewing Demo (Festival)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Brewing Demo (Festival) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was asked yesterday to give a demonstration at a beer festival that is coming up in October. The festival is a smaller one with only a couple hundred people and six breweries. I haven't said yes or no yet. I told her I would get back to her today. The event is only from 4pm to 7pm, so I would not be able to brew a beer. She just said she just wanted me to talk about the process and maybe show some of my equipment.

What are your guys thoughts? I could display a brew kit and talk about the process. Like most of the people on this site I have a electric brewery so I can't really pack all that up and put on display. I do still have my 8 gallon pot and could round up a few other things from local brewers.

What do you think I should talk about? Just keep it simple and see how the crowd interacts? Anyone want to join? lol
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it simple. You can have a kettle or two and some of the raw ingredients and talk about how you go from "grain to glass" at a high level. I usually explain it as something like this:

1. Steep cracked grain in warm water to turn starches into sugars
2. Boil the sugary water (called 'wort') with hops to offset the sweetness
3. Add yeast which turns the sugar into alcohol
4. Package and enjoy!

If you have a static display with some items that show each of these steps that's pretty high level / simple. After that point it can get as complex as you like, ending up with the setup featured at TheElectricBrewery.com. Wink

The average person is usually surprised when they hear how simple the overall process is and that pretty much anyone can do it.

I've had many friends do displays like this. Some do bring all of their equipment and try brewing that day (if it's an all-day event). Last time a bunch of them set up in front of Beaus brewery (a large-ish microbrewery near me, about 15-20 bbl I think?) and often the people watching them brew on their tiny 10-20 gallon pots thought that they were producing beer for the brewery. Wink

Good luck! When and where is the festival exactly?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done something similar so here's what I've done in the past. If you will have access to electricity, make an adapter that will plug into a standard 120V extension cord or power outlet (assuming you are U.S.). On the end that interfaces with the control panel, strip the insulation back and get some good quality INSULATED alligator clips. What I did was make my connections to power the 120 side of the panel (lights, PID's and Timer) and then STRAIN RELIEVE THE ADAPTER CORD! You don't want someone to bump the cord and pull an alligator clip off. So once it is hooked up, you can then plug the adapter into it's power supply and show off all the nifty lights and buttons.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents: If you want to demo the panel with the lights and switches I would make a permanent cable that goes from a 120V standard outlet to the control panel and not use something like alligator clips that could come loose. This cord would only have the 1 HOT line, NEUTRAL, and GROUND. By not having the second HOT line the heating elements would never work but everything else in the panel will light up and work fine.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
I've done something similar so here's what I've done in the past. If you will have access to electricity, make an adapter that will plug into a standard 120V extension cord or power outlet (assuming you are U.S.).

My control panel is wired directly to the wall. I didn't want it movable. Now, if it was movable I would def do as you and Kal are suggesting.
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Good luck! When and where is the festival exactly?

Kal

Kal,
As always thanks for the advice. The event is in New Franklin, MO on October 8th.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: