Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

way off topic ? for Kal and you other smart folks

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: way off topic ? for Kal and you other smart folks Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I rebuilt a generator (detroit 2-71) pulled from a refrigerator boxcar for back-up home use. Problem is it's three phase, and I want to tie it into the home box(es). No electrician here wants to touch it.

I'd like to pull each of the three hots into 3 separate mini versions of our brewer's box to show amps/current etc. from which I could go to 3 panel boxes that I would pull wires for various circuits in the house to provide power in outage situations. Manual switches for maximum safety...

I won't do it, as I am not learned in the field, but I would love to build the boxes (PIDs ?) and present a general plan to a licensed electrician to do the job.

Just tossing it out there in case someone might want to throw some ideas this way Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without more info as to what you're using (how the generator works exactly) and how you plan to integrate it into an existing house electric grid (and how the house grid is configured), it's hard to comment.

I don't doubt that most electricians don't want to touch it. Wink In many locations anything permanently attached to the electrical grid of your home needs to be inspected/validated/etc. I wouldn't try and jerry-rig something to work in a way it wasn't designed as far as the electrical grid in my house is concerned.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't try and jerry-rig something to work in a way it wasn't designed as far as the electrical grid in my house is concerned.

I couldn't agree more!!! Hence the frustration. I've told the folks that cost is not an issue... i just want someone certified to connect a to b....and whatever inspections need to be done, go for it!

Thanks fo the feedback Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is that most electricians that would do this sort of work want to use their equipment. You've got something they've never seen before so by them hooking it up, they become responsible. It's completely normal that they would not want to work with something they're not familiar with.

Normally you would go to them with the problem and they'd provide the solution. Instead here you're presenting them with a problem with the caveat that they must incorporate some equipment they've never used before. It's a giant can of worms for them.

If money's not the issue, why not ignore the equipment and just ask the electricians for a solution to what you want to do? They'll recommend equipment they're familiar with. At the end of the day it may cost you less too and you'd have a solution that is actually serviceable instead of this one which may rely on this specific equipment, though if you're a diesel mechanic you could probably just service it yourself.

Out of curiosity, I googled "Detroit 2-71 generator" and came up with some tidbits:

- These are ex-railroad reefer units.
- Extremely loud. (loud enough that they may not be allowed in normal residential settings - may only be allowed in places zoned industrial?). One person commented "Detroit Diesel was the most efficient means ever developed of turning Diesel into noise." Wink
- Very big and heavy (about 2200 pounds).
- Very thirsty. Around 1.25 to 1.75 gallons/hr for a 12.5Kw model. Can only be used with STRAIGHT 40w diesel oil (though I've seen some that say you can convert them to run on just about anything).
- Very reliable. One person commented "The last generator still running when the end of the world finally comes will probably be powered by a Detroit Diesel."
- Usually sold for scrap.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To really diagnose this you need to post a pic of the name plate on the unit.... you say three phase... three phase what? 480V?

Here is some intersting info:
http://www.possumliving.com/2007/12/2-71-detriot-diesel-eveready-bunny.html

Jeff
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The straight 40W is not what they burn (intentionally) but it's the lube oil.

As far as fuel, they will burn most any flammable liquid that can be easily pumped and has adequate lubricity.. Jet-A down to about #4 Diesel works fine.

For reference, #1 is Kerosene/Jet Fuel, #2 is normal, and #6 Diesel has to be heated to about 100F to flow.

The don't do well with multigrade oils.. From the smallest 2-53 to the larger 16V149s I used to run when I was working offshore oil. Lubes fine, but you lose a lot through the cylinder in 2 stroke diesels.

My house in WY was three phase and I had a 3-71 running off natural gas with a diesel pilot, but it was just a case of resetting voltage vs single to three phase.
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If money's not the issue, why not ignore the equipment and just ask the electricians for a solution to what you want to do?

I can't believe I've missed these responses!!

Kal, that is the frustrating part...I have done just that. I've said, "you have a white sheet to design whatever you want to do". No one has agreed to do the work.

Those images you posted are the exact model I have and rebuilt. Sound reduction is greatly enhanced with a "hospital" muffler and enclosure.

Quote:
To really diagnose this you need to post a pic of the name plate on the unit.... you say three phase... three phase what? 480V?

Will do so at lunch!
rickysa

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the placard...hard to read

[img]

225 volts

64 amps

60 Hz

1200 RPM

3 Phase

25 KW

Here is a vid of it running (very puffy coat... Wink )

https://youtu.be/e-4EGnCEZr0
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: