Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

BJCP Judge

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: BJCP Judge Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just had to shout it out! The BJCP Tasting Exam I took on March, 26th was finally graded and returned.

I PASSED WITH A "CERTIFIED" RANK!!!!!!!!!!!

Any other Judges here? I'm F0983
This was a task almost a year in the making. I paid my class fee last July. Started classes in early September. Finished in mid-February. Passed the online exam in early March, then tested at the end of March. Whew... I'm glad that's done for a while.
If you are not in the judging pool, PLEASE consider doing this. There is a HUGE shortage of judges and it truly is a wonderful time every time I've judged up to this point.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news Huaco! Congrats!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, I'm pretty happy!
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Huaco! That's a great accomplishment!

John

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I would love to attempt to get certified but between where I live and my time constraints, I don't know if there is enough time.
How many hours per week did you have to put in? Also, did you find any prep materials/classes/etc worth while?
thanks,
-pg
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John!

pg, I would highly recommend a class. Although I'm not sure how any other instructors format their class, James LaLlande - Grand Master I judge, had us meeting every-other Thursday evening (except holidays). We met at a BYOB pizza joint. We would eat prior to class then cover several styles. We talked about the brewing process and off flavors at every class as well. There's PLENTY of content to keep a 2 hour class busy for 12 meetings. Also, we would practice judge some of the examples to give us more experience judging. I have judged a hand full of competitions so I at least had an idea of what to start with, but under a Grand Master judge, you REALLY learn to flesh out the judging sheets with descriptors. Other than the class, I'd say I crammed for a few hours prior to the online exam... (that one is a REAL BEAST!) I crammed again prior to the tasting exam, this time with the style guidelines, as you are not allowed to have guidelines while taking the tasting exam. The instructor had printed material for us in a notebook, but I also downloaded the BJCP study material and used it.
http://bjcp.org/examcenter.php
The hardest part??? The waiting! Took 4 1/2 months to get the score back!
pg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huaco,
Thanks for the info. I definitely think I will pursue, however it will be hard at my current location (Minot, ND). Guess I'll start reading and start self judging when I go to GABF...or I may just drink/enjoy there...
-pg
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used this site but a few have. Poke around the site to see if they have any online classes coming up. With your remote location, this may very well be the way to go.
http://craftbeeru.com/25-2/
JimS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Congratulations Reply with quote

Congrats! I took the test in May, I guess I have a couple more months to wait. Sad

Jim
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, likely 6-8 more weeks of waiting for your part... I know, it sux!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: