Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

High volumes for Belgians

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jengum

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: High volumes for Belgians Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi folks,

I've got a Belgian triple, a blonde, and an IPA on the faucets right now with separate regulators for each. For the Belgians, I'd like to get that lovely Duval effervescence...which I'm guessing is bottled to 4 or 5 volumes. Of course I can bump up the bars/PSIs on those faucets, but then I pour 1:3 beer to foam, or worse. I'd even take 1:1. 2:1 would be ideal. My lines are all 5'.

I've heard that you can improve the beer to foam ratio by lengthening the lines (while maintaining high carbonation levels). Are any of you getting nice high volumes and reasonable foam on pours? If so, spare some advice?

Thanks,
Jesse

Belgian styles, brett, lacto, fruited
Charcuterie
View user's photo album (13 photos)
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never run carb volumes that high, but I can share what I think I know. I am assuming you are carbed at about 35F and 30 psi. (4.6 Vol). The foam is caused by the sudden change in pressure at the tap. The line length you are mentioning causes friction and back pressure thereby reducing the pressure at the tap. The longer the line the higher the pressure drop between the keg and the tap. I use an excel spreadsheet I found online at http://www.mikesoltys.com/?p=1005
Quote:
Note: This spreadsheet was made to accompany the blog post: "Determining Proper hose length for your Kegerator" on MikeSoltys.com: http://www.mikesoltys.com/?p=1005 Please refer to the blog for more info on these calculations. I've also updated the website with an easy to use javascript calculater to perform these calculations.

The quote is from inside the spreadsheet. The accompanying article / blog is pretty interesting. I put 30 psi into to the spreadsheet and it came back with a 26ft line length.

So the short answer to your question is Yes, a longer line length should reduce the amount of foam. The exact length is subject to question. If you don't mind experimenting, start long and cut it down until it works the way you want.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you can consider are Perlick's flow control facuets

https://www.morebeer.com/products/perlick-beer-faucet-650ss-flow-control.html?site_id=7?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

I use them and they work great. However, I haven't used them with that much pressure.

Scott
jengum

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super. Thank you Scott and David!

Holy cow...for 25 psi and one foot raise, that's around 25' of tubing!

Charcuterie
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g8tors wrote:
Another thing you can consider are Perlick's flow control facuets

https://www.morebeer.com/products/perlick-beer-faucet-650ss-flow-control.html?site_id=7?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

I use them and they work great. However, I haven't used them with that much pressure.

Scott

These are what I'm going to go with as I add/replace taps. I don't like having the long line length as the first pour of the day (after sitting for a day or two) is less carbonated than desired. I used long line previously, but might change going forward.
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you also need to consider what type of tubing you are using for the beer. vinyl tubing has more resistance than barrier tubing so if using barrier tubing, you will need longer lengths compared to the same diameter of vinyl. at 4+ volumes and warmer temps, 30+ feet of tubing is not out of the question.
jengum

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks INR. Has anyone served 4+ volumes with a flow controllable faucet, such as Perlick's 650? Since the control valve can go to zero flow, I'm guessing you could adjust it to that point, but possibly pour very slowly.

Charcuterie
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: