Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Dusseldorf Altbier

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Dusseldorf Altbier Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/dusseldorf-altbier

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:36 am; edited 17 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pepindavid

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning of doing something similar in a few months (I was thinking of something like the Sticke Alt from Les Trois Mousquetaires, which seems to be a bigger version of Altbier). I may give this recipe a shot.

Anybody ever tried to brew an Altbier with a Kölsch yeast?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepindavid wrote:
I was planning of doing something similar in a few months (I was thinking of something like the Sticke Alt from Les Trois Mousquetaires, which seems to be a bigger version of Altbier). I may give this recipe a shot.

Let us know how it goes!

Sticke Alt is a darker and stronger, seasonal, variation of the traditional Düsseldorf Altbier. Think of it as an 'imperial' version of Altbier. (It was invented by the Uerige brewpub of Düsseldorf, and is brewed only twice a year, though others do brew it now as well such as Schumacher).

"Sticke" is local vernacular for "secret," which means the brewery does not reveal the recipe.

Quote:
Anybody ever tried to brew an Altbier with a Kölsch yeast?

Seems like a fairly common thing to do. It'll work and be tasty.
I'd recommend one of these:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Wyeast-2565-Kolsch-Yeast
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/White-Labs-WLP029-German-Ale-Kolsch-Yeast

You'll get slightly accentuated hop flavours with the Kolsch yeasts as compared to a 'true' Alt yeast. I'd probably bump the IBUs down 10% or so, though it really depends what you're going for.

You could then use the slurry to follow up with a Kolsch. Our recipe here:
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26737

Good luck!

Kal

pepindavid

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'm using Brulosophy's idea on yeast harvesting: I am overbuilding a starter (by roughly 100 billion cells), and keeping that aside for next brew. I did that with WLP001 for my last three brews, and it went really well. I only brewed 6 batches so far in my homebrewing "carreer", but I feel that I am making progress quickly. My last batch was a slightly modified Electric IPA, and it is hands down my best brew so far. It may have something to do with the fact that it was my first brew with controlled fermentation temperature.

I'm brewing a Köslch next week (your recipe...!), with Wyeast 2565. I was then planning to do an American Wheat with the same yeast (my summer brew), and then an Altbier, or Sticke Alt. So it will take a few months before I get to this one. I am just doing a lot of research in advance, trying to grasp the "idea" behind the beer I want to brew. With so many styles to choose from and the fact that I can only brew about once a month, choices are not easy to make!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepindavid wrote:
With so many styles to choose from and the fact that I can only brew about once a month, choices are not easy to make!

I know exactly what you mean! I usually put a TON of research into recipes, at least new ones.

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might have to be my first recipe when I finish my setup in the next week or two...I LOVE this beer style. Lived in Germany the past 2 years and I had a crate on hand always!
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal (or anyone who has brewed with this strain before):

I'm on day 5 of fermentation @ 60F - OG was 1.055 and I'm currently down to 1.028. Plan is to ramp up to 70F when I hit 1.017 or so, but unfortunately I have to travel for the next 3 days. I'm assuming the relatively slow fermentation is due to the low temp - looking for suggestions to see if I should ramp it up prior to leaving or let it sit. Thoughts?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you pitched the recommended amount of yeast and it’s healthy, I’d leave it as is until you get back in 3 days. It’ll be fine. You can ramp it up after it hits terminal gravity if you don’t have any other choice.

Kal

Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Assuming you pitched the recommended amount of yeast and it’s healthy, I’d leave it as is until you get back in 3 days. It’ll be fine. You can ramp it up after it hits terminal gravity if you don’t have any other choice.

Kal

Thanks Kal. Made a starter and pitched at high Krausen.... We'll see what it's like when I get back!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shocked there aren't more reviews here. Sure it's not a trendy new IPA or anything, but this beer is just plain good. Distinctly German. It's very crisp, dry, and light taste for it's color. Very slight caramel. This has an easy recipe, quick turn around time, and low cost. The ONLY drawback is it's a session beer that you can drink by the liter (or 2), so it doesn't last long.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! Guess you need to make more! Wink

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/dusseldorf-altbier

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

potasken

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Recipe clarification. Altbier Reply with quote

Kal,

I was in Dusseldorf this past October and had the opportunity to indulge a few altbiers. My friend who lives in Germany will be visiting in March and I thought it would be a great idea to brew up a batch according to your recipe. Can you clarify the grain bill please. The amounts and percentages seem not to match. The pilsner malt is listed at 80% of the bill but it looks like 68.27%. Are the percentages just off or should there be more pilsner malt listed? I calculate an original gravity of 1.049 with the amounts listed so, I am assuming the percentage is listed at 80% in error.

Thank you sir!

Ken...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that Ken! The amounts are all correct but the pils % was off like you saw (cut & paste error from when I moved the recipe to the new site). I've now corrected it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Enjoy the beer and please do let us know how it turns out!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: