Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

PID Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awesomo

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: PID Issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've been brewing on a weekly basis for several months and I had an odd problem come up when I was brewing the other day.

While heating my strike water in my HLT my PID started randomly rising very quickly up to 1050 degrees. I unplugged the probe and replugged it in and things worked fine for a little while until it happened again. I changed to another probe and things seemed to be back on track until I hit my strike temperature and the the element continued to fire even though the PID was not telling it to. I noticed that even when removing the probe, the element kept firing continuously. To get through the brew day, I moved the the probe and HLT to the boil controller until my mash was complete.

I did notice a melting smell coming from the panel, but I couldn't see anything damaged. Is my HLT PID defective or is there likely another issue happening? It's weird that after consistent, regular use this just happened all of a sudden.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something in the PID may have indeed failed.

The following parts are connected:

Temp probe tip -> Temp probe cable -> XLR connector -> wiring inside the panel -> PID

You've got 3x of these on your setup (assuming you're using a 3 kettle setup but I think that's a fair assumption as you purchased a control panel kit from us 2-3 years ago). So I would swap temp prob tips and cables by swapping at the XLR connectors on the panel to see if the problem moves to another PID. If not, it's something inside the panel. Replacement PIDs are available here if you need one: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/temperature-controllers

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: