Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

English Mild

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: English Mild Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/english-mild

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 pm; edited 14 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great recipe, and it's came at the right time as I am about to brew a mild. I just have one small comment to make - here in the UK we would generally have a 1:1 Cl to SO4 ratio in the brewing water when brewing a mild. A matter of taste I guess as our milds would hardly have any bitterness accentuation.

Last edited by chastuck on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment chastuck! I did go back and forth with the Cl:S04 ratio but eventually went with 1:2 as in the recipe to make the hops just a bit more 'bright' or 'sharp' if that's the word. The difference is very subtle, especially given that EKG hops are not anywhere near as aggressive as American ones. A matter of taste you like said!

Cheers,

Kal

LastCall

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Dry Hop? Reply with quote

Recipe calls for dry hopping 7 days??
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dry Hop? Reply with quote

LastCall wrote:
Recipe calls for dry hopping 7 days??

A cut & paste typo - now removed! Thanks for catching that.

Kal

DeNomad

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have brewed two 10 gallon batches of this mild and it is excellent! If you are after a easy drinking English flavour I would look no further.

My two cents on water profiles. I have done one batch with a balanced profile and one batch with a hoppy 1:2 ratio of Cl:SO4. I used Thames Valley yeast in both, my personal favourite English yeast strain. This is a yeast which emphasizes the malt character in a beer. When I did the balanced water profile the nuttiness of the Maris Otter was very forward and I almost thought it needed to be more bitter. I am drinking the 1:2 ratio of Cl:SO4 and now the Maris Otter is not as apparent. Note both beers were served on beer gas, low carbonation.

My recommendation would be to tend towards a "slightly hoppy" water profile of about 3:4 Ca:SO4 to enjoy that Maris Otter flavour without going over the top with it.

Anyway Kal thanks for the recipe!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent DeNomad - Glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback! Agreed that a balanced ratio doesn't really work with this beer - I've always gone with my "hoppy lite" numbers here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/water-adjustment?page=3

Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/english-mild

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on this recipe for brewing in November. Thoughts on adding the 4 oz Black Patent Malt only during sparge instead of mashing?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do that, but it's only 2% of the grist so I doubt it'll make any difference. I only add highly roasted malt at the start of sparge for my Dry Irish Stout as it's 10%.

Try both ways and see!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: