Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Digital timers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
chastuck wrote:
wscottcross wrote:
chastuck wrote:
wscottcross wrote:
Squid wrote:
I have the PTC-21version which wscottcross' diagram doesn't seem to match. Has anyone had luck with this version? Wired according to wscottcross and it runs in timer mode continuously as soon as power is applied.

The Inkbird E2RH also runs as soon as the power is applied. If you set it to single shot, it will count down, set the alarm and stop. If it distracts you while it's running, you can set it to some very short time and just let it stop.

Or you can wire up the the 'Pause' terminal to a push button switch and leave it switched in. That way when you turn the power on the timer will not run. At the same time you can reset it to zero ready to go as soon as you lift the pause button. I have used an illuminated push switch on my set up that glows red when the pause button is in.

OK, so that's what the "Gate" terminal is for! I think I would need a three position switch to make this work. Reset - Run - Pause. That way you can pause the timer and still resume without resetting the running time.

Why not use two push button switches - a latching one for the pause and a momentary one for the reset? That is, one to reset the timer and one to pause it. That way you can still resume the timer without resetting the the running time.

Because I already built my panel and don't want to cut more holes in it. I also happened to have a leftover 3 way switch so it was a very simple wiring change. I did it in about 20 minutes and it works great.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chastuck wrote:
after a boil you might just want to pause the timer between adding different hops while doing a multiple hop stand.

But that's my point - you can't really pause that because if the hops are in the wort, time marches on. You can't pause the extraction/isomerization.

Quote:
Also, with this particular timer it means you can set the period time you want and start the countdown by releasing the pause button when you are ready.

I start the countdown with the reset button. Reset doubles as a start/reset.

YMMV!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
chastuck wrote:
after a boil you might just want to pause the timer between adding different hops while doing a multiple hop stand.

But that's my point - you can't really pause that because if the hops are in the wort, time marches on. You can't pause the extraction/isomerization.

Quote:
Also, with this particular timer it means you can set the period time you want and start the countdown by releasing the pause button when you are ready.

I start the countdown with the reset button. Reset doubles as a start/reset.

YMMV!

Kal

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying here. I'm not talking about timing the hops already in the wort - as you say, time marches on for those. What I am referring to is post boil multiple hop additions and timing the length of each batch of hops you add. The Omega timer cannot be paused once running, even if you had some non-Electric Brewery desire to do so.

I have built two brewery control panels now. The first was a 30A 240V complete kit ordered from you using the Omega timer as supplied. The second one I built was a scaled down version using your methods that I use for my 50L Braumeister, to which I have fitted the Inkbird timer. I have to say that for looks and performance I much prefer the Inkbird timer. Wiring up the Inkbird is a little more difficult until you get to grips with the rather poor instructions, but you can use it in exactly the same way as the Omega if you want it that way. The other consideration if you are buying a timer outside of your kit is the price. In the UK the Omega is more than ten times the cost of the Inkbird - £120 as opposed to £11 - so the Inkbird is a clear winner if you are seeking high performance at low cost.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chastuck wrote:

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying here. I'm not talking about timing the hops already in the wort - as you say, time marches on for those. What I am referring to is post boil multiple hop additions and timing the length of each batch of hops you add.

No misunderstanding. Whether it's during the boil or post boil, the extraction is similar and timing dependant. For example, if you add hops #1 after the boil and want to hold at a specific temp for 20 mins, and then add hops #2 and hold at a specific temp for 50 mins, the first hops are still steeping and oils will be extracted/isomerized during the first 20 and then additional 50 mins. If you were able to pause between the two additions because it takes you 10 mins to go get the hops, it doesn't make the first hop steep 20+50 mins. It would be 20 + 10 + 50.

We're getting off topic... Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Squid

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We're getting off topic...

Indeed. I apologize for starting it. On the bright side, my timer functions perfectly. Thank you gentlemen.
chastuck

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
chastuck wrote:

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying here. I'm not talking about timing the hops already in the wort - as you say, time marches on for those. What I am referring to is post boil multiple hop additions and timing the length of each batch of hops you add.

No misunderstanding. Whether it's during the boil or post boil, the extraction is similar and timing dependant. For example, if you add hops #1 after the boil and want to hold at a specific temp for 20 mins, and then add hops #2 and hold at a specific temp for 50 mins, the first hops are still steeping and oils will be extracted/isomerized during the first 20 and then additional 50 mins. If you were able to pause between the two additions because it takes you 10 mins to go get the hops, it doesn't make the first hop steep 20+50 mins. It would be 20 + 10 + 50.

We're getting off topic... Wink

Kal

Agreed - though I still think you are missing the point I am making. Maybe it's an American English to UK English translation problem! Let's move on. Both timers perform well and do their respective jobs at the end of the day.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have the manual for this, I'm thinking about using it for a simple count down timer, I bought the jsl-71 for the same reason but controlling it for a simple countdown timer wasn't that easy or could you tell me how to set it up for say a 90 minute countdown with a pause

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chastuck wrote:
wscottcross wrote:
Squid wrote:
I have the PTC-21version which wscottcross' diagram doesn't seem to match. Has anyone had luck with this version? Wired according to wscottcross and it runs in timer mode continuously as soon as power is applied.

The Inkbird E2RH also runs as soon as the power is applied. If you set it to single shot, it will count down, set the alarm and stop. If it distracts you while it's running, you can set it to some very short time and just let it stop.

Or you can wire up the the 'Pause' terminal to a push button switch and leave it switched in. That way when you turn the power on the timer will not run. At the same time you can reset it to zero ready to go as soon as you lift the pause button. I have used an illuminated push switch on my set up that glows red when the pause button is in.

got it working per the specs above but have the same issues as others, it doesn't pause until you hit start it runs right away, you can reset it but I would rather have it pause showing the set time until I hit start so Im confused on the gate/pause setting in the manual, and what the center 11 and 12 pins do, How do you wire the pause on this?
chastuck

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the Inkbird:
I’m assuming that you have the pidgeon-English Chinese instructions with details of the pinouts. For simple control mode join 7 and 9. Connect 9 to your live (hot) AC supply. Connect 10 to the AC neutral. Connect the live of the device you want to control (i.e. the buzzer) to 8. Connect the neutral of the device to 10. The ‘Gate’ pin 2 on this timer is not to start the timer, but to hold or pause it. Pin 3 is a reset. Both 2 and 3 have 8V on them and this needs to be brought down to 0V for their respective actions. 0V is on pin 5. Put a switch between 3 and 5 for a reset action and a switch between 2 and 5 for a pause in the countdown or countup.

You need to change the counter’s default mode of countup to countdown for the Electric Brewery panel. Do this by holding MD for 3 secs to get into control mode. When in control mode each push of MD takes you to another function and a push of the double arrows changes the value of each function. Once you change a function value push MD to move to next function. The values I use for each function are:
(Time) Unit – min
(Count) Mode – down
Time mode – one shot (- - - -)
Input select – NPN
(Key) Lock – off.

Hold down the MD for 3 secs to go back to run mode when changes are done.

The diagram in the supplied manual has the pins 6 and 8 back to front. 6 is in fact NO and 8 is in fact NC – well at least it was on my one.

Good luck!
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I used the diagram that wscottcross posted and it works, got it set up and running and Im currently using a NO switch set to open to permanently reset to 0 and that works to stop the time until im ready but wish it would not start with the set time right away its not a deal breaker just a nuisance

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh for those who haven't figured this out and I did by accident, I was looking for the longest time,"hours" going into frustration mode with the thought "why did I buy this" again lol but to set the set value time which is no where on the Internet and hard to figure out from the instructions you don't use the MD button or go into any menu you just hit any up or down button and it goes into the set value menu to set your time Smile which I like very much, easy to change on the fly
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok figured out the pause, if you set pause to on at power on it holds your time and you can use that switch to start the timer, also pause to on and reset sends it back to start and holds the time instead of reset which held at 0, so essentially I would need another switch to run a reset button and a pause button unless I just use the reset on the timmer panel, thanks for helping me brainstorm this
IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Inkbird timer setup with Mypin TA4-SNR Reply with quote

Do you know how to wire up the inkbird timer? with Mypin TA4-SNR help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you be more specific, the time is independent from any pid

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
could you be more specific, the time is independent from any pid

I am looking for something similar to the diagram that's attached, but for mypin TA4 - SNR sorry I am visual and have been following the electric brewery guild.

1476240436189-2116645775001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.67 KB
 Viewed:  30121 Time(s)

1476240436189-2116645775001.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the wiring is the same if you look close the only thing that comes off the pid is a power wire that powers the timer on, its the number 9 from the hot bus and number 10 from the neutral bus that powers the timer, that is it, what ever post on your ta4 is hot you jumper that over to number 9

Last edited by Ozarks Mountain Brew on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
IrelandGarry

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
ok, the wiring is the same if you look close the only thing that comes off the pid is a power wire that powers the timer on, its the number 9 from the hot bus and number 10 from a switch that powers the timer, that is it, what ever post on your ta4 is hot you jumper that over to number 9

Thanks so much that's what I did I just wanted to double check that what I had done was correct.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my post the neutral wire can come from anywhere but in the diagram it actually comes off the neutral side of the buzzer, I didn't have my glasses on , sorry

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Inkbird Timer Reply with quote

wscottcross - could you please post the Inkbird schematic again? I can not download and I can really use it!
czmer1jw

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant view that diagram, anyway someone can send it to me? I have an inkbird timer hooking up to mypin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: