Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Belgian Tripel
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Belgian Tripel Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/belgian-tripel

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:15 am; edited 22 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you added a Trappist style beer to your list. Every recipe of yours that I have tried has come out great. I'm looking forward to this one. The real beer I'm looking for is a strong dark like Chimay or Abt 12.

You ever consider refermentation/conditioning in the keg? I've done it a few times and it came out great, especially high gravity beers. For example with this recipe: when I rack to the kegs I'd add 1/4 lb of sugar in water to each keg and fresh yeast. I'll put it up stairs in the laundry room for a 3 weeks, then I'd lager it. I know carbonation is carbonation, but I think this process really helps it age better.

Either way, I'll be making this soon.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fal wrote:
I'm so glad you added a Trappist style beer to your list.

Thanks! I've actually never been a huge fan of Belgian beers in general, but that's probably because I've had some questionable ones in the past which made me steer away. Now that this beer has carbed and is in its prime, I can see what all the fuss is about! It's absolutely fantastic. Recipe wise it's a very simple beer but this yeast has added some much depth and complexity. Not a 'heavy' beer or 'weird' beer if that makes any sense. If a beer can be simple but complex at the same time, this is it. I find you get different flavours from every sip as you think about it and as the beer warms up.

Anyone that has good temperature control for fermenting should be able to make a great Tripel like this as it's fairly straight forward.

Quote:
You ever consider refermentation/conditioning in the keg? I've done it a few times and it came out great, especially high gravity beers. For example with this recipe: when I rack to the kegs I'd add 1/4 lb of sugar in water to each keg and fresh yeast. I'll put it up stairs in the laundry room for a 3 weeks, then I'd lager it. I know carbonation is carbonation, but I think this process really helps it age better.

I haven't, but sounds interesting. Even the monks don't keg this beer - it's bottled only and if you read their information on it on the website they do mention that it undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle which changes the flavour.

I'm sticking to kegging however. I really, truly, hate everything to do with bottling. Wink

Let us know how your brew day goes - good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
tae

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal.

Which of the malt types used do you find to be "under modified" since you choose to use STEP mash for this beer? As far as I have read, all of the used malts in this recipe are modified so step mash shouldn't be required? Am I missing something?

Cheers
Karsten
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I don't seem to have kept all my notes on this so I'm going by memory here: A protein rest isn't really required for well modified malts but I have heard (read?) that it can still help improve clarity and reduce chill haze if done at the high end of the protein rest range (113-131F, though even this range is argued) for a very SHORT period of time. So I do it for 10 mins only at 131. Any lower can actually hurt head retention in well modified malts. Does it make a big difference? Not sure. I definitely wouldn't do it if you have issues with hitting target temps as you want this beer to have a big fluffy head. Here's mine from a week ago or so:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBWOLkIoKhT/

Bad video. The beer looks hazy and dark but it isn't. It's brilliantly clear when you hold it up to the light.

The other two steps hit the beta and alpha ranges to maximize fermentability. Then there's the usual mashout.

I always struggle with steps and the logic/science behind it and frankly was just going to publish this as a single infusion mash because I doubt what I did made a huge difference (if any) but figured I really should publish what I did for sake of accuracy. I should have actually kept better notes as to the why's behind this and posted them here too. I remember doing a lot of research on this. http://braukaiser.com/ has a ton of great info and is a good place to start. There's varying opinions on the subject but he (Kai) used to believe that separate beta and alpha rest help lock in a fermentability profile. I think he's mostly gone to single infusion mashes now. So opinions change over time too.

YMMV. Definitely an area of brewing where there's room to experiment and the science doesn't seem to be 100% understood. Hopefully some others will chime in with their thoughts/experiences.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Veritas

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, was I excited to see you post a recipe for Tripel, Kal! I've been contemplating brewing a this style, and recently finished reading Stan Hieronymus's "Brew Like a Monk," which is a great resource about the history, concepts, and brewing tips for the Trappist style ales. I had started putting together a recipe when I received your email stating that you had a recipe in hand. Talk about good timing!

I've purchased and received the ingredients for this beer, and plan on brewing it this weekend. I'll blog my process/results on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/PineGroveBrewWorks/ ) and let you know how it turns out!

By the way, I brewed the Hopslam clone again... as always, amazing.

Thanks again for all of the excellent work you do for the brewing community!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words! I'll definitely keep an eye open on that Tripel you're brewing...

Kal

Nimbus3000

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about the weight of the Melanoidin Malt. Is it 7 pounds or 7 ounces? Both units are shown.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimbus3000 wrote:
Question about the weight of the Melanoidin Malt. Is it 7 pounds or 7 ounces? Both units are shown.

It's 7 oz.

X lbs/ 1.5% = 29.34 lbs/ 100%. X=.44 lbs
.44 lbs X 16 oz = 7.04 oz
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely 7 oz. Sorry for the confusion. I fixed the recipe.

Kal

Nimbus3000

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I thought. This will be my next batch. Thanks
DFITZ

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to brewing this beer. It's actually christened my single barrel system but I only brewed 20 gal. I figured I'll fill a keg then bottle 4 or 5 gallons. It all came off without a hitch with exception of the gravity. I hit 1.080. A little off but I guess I can live with it. I'm looking forward to tasting this beer in a couple months.
DFITZ

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a single week fermentation I find my gravity at 1.012 already. I was expecting a slower ferment with a higher alcohol percentage and my using the WLP500. This was all that was available at my LHBS. This was the first gravity reading but it appears to have neared its goal already. I'll take another in a couple days. I'm considering 1.010 as a completed ferment however if it keeps dropping should I just go with it or should I finally go ahead and crash chill? In not using a secondary, I plan to just crash chill in the conical. Does this sound ok?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should let it any beer ferment to completion. Packaking before it's done is dangerous as it may continue to ferment and create pressure. Especially dangerous if bottling as you can create 'bottle bombs'.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe Kal. Although I had my first bit of trouble with this one on the system (identical to yours) - the mash kept packing down and slowing the recirculation to a crawl - was impossible to step mash without stirring several times. Could be the higher grain bill? Had the same mill setting with your Weizen and Blonde Ale. Recirc was open full on both of those with no issues. Added a bit more water to this one to thin the mash, think the water weight could have added to packing it down so much and restricting flow?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticlimaddox wrote:
Thanks for the recipe Kal. Although I had my first bit of trouble with this one on the system (identical to yours) - the mash kept packing down and slowing the recirculation to a crawl - was impossible to step mash without stirring several times. Could be the higher grain bill?

No - if your setup is truly identical then you likely milled too fine. Try a bit looser next time. If you have difficulties with grain compaction you can also try opening up the MLT pump valve slowly over a minute or so after you first mash in instead of opening fast. That can help on some setups.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try both next batch, thanks for the feedback. We got through it though - bubbling away at 65 currently (day2).

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brewed this.

Had a good time. But I clearly didn't do the math and add up all the time for the extra mash, started a bit late, so ran into a time crunch at the end of the day.

Regardless, I have an OG of 1.082 and just pitched a 4L Starter at 64* F. I plan on increasing one degree per day as suggested. Can't wait to try this.

Thanks for all the awesome information on this site. I am just beginning to be comfortable with my electronic brewery thanks to you!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it's working out NathanDH! You're only a couple of points below the target gravity so that won't really be noticed. Enjoy the beer and welcome to the forum!

Kal

Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting an OG of 1.082 but only got 1.070. I didn't do a step mash, but could of. Would that of helped? Other than that everything went well. My FG was 1.010. I used Wyeast 1762 Abbey Ale II.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: