Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

HOP % question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandovalch

Working on: Irish Red Ale, American Amber Ale

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: HOP % question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I see that in your recipes, you mention de hop %.
For example the German Pils, Tettnanger 4%. When I purchased the Tettnanger, it comes with a 1.7%.

Do we have to adjust accordingly?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The % you talk about is AA% which is a measure of bitterness. The higher the %, the more bitterness you get out of a hop. The longer you boil, the more you get too.

So yes, you need to adjust, within reason. Here's what I do:

If the hop is boiled for more than 20 minutes, I adjust the amount. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 oz of 4 AA% hop to be boiled for 60 mins and yours is only 2 AA%, then you need to use twice as much hops.

If the hop is boiled for less than 20 minutes (including dry hopping), I don't adjust the amount. This is because these hops are more about flavour and aroma so the AA% isn't as important.

The 20 minute mark is only a guideline. You may choose to adjust all the way down to 10 or even 5 minutes if you like but I don't think it's worth it.

In your case you're boiling Tettnanger hops for 60 mins so you'd definitely have to adjust for the 1.7 -> 4 AA% difference. 1.7% is pretty low which is unfortunate because you'll need to use 2.3 times as much which would be nearly 12 oz (in a 12 gallon post boil batch) instead of 5 oz. That's a lot of vegetal matter for a beer that isn't an American hop bomb. Wink

You may want to consider a different German noble hop with higher AA% or different supplier to get higher AA% Tetts.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
sandovalch

Working on: Irish Red Ale, American Amber Ale

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, just what I tought. Why is there a difference in AA%, is it the region where they are produced, the humidity, earth, fertilization, etc?
So it is better so pay a bit more for a hop with high AA%
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandovalch wrote:
I understand, just what I tought. Why is there a difference in AA%, is it the region where they are produced, the humidity, earth, fertilization, etc?

Why is there a difference in AA% between the same hop varieties? For some of the reasons you state probably and because they're living things which can vary, just like the same type of grapes can vary depending on the background.

Quote:
So it is better so pay a bit more for a hop with high AA%

Not necessarily. Depends entirely what you're going after. I've never seen anyone have different AA% hops of the same type the same year and charge more for one over the other.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: