Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Won't Reach Anywhere Near Final Gravity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIBS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Won't Reach Anywhere Near Final Gravity. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey people
I have an issue with a Belgian Wit I recently made. Im made this exact recipe 2 months ago, and it was fantastic. So I though I'd make it again. Everything went great with the brew, besides the rolled oats being a little sticky and slowing down my sparge, but everything else was great. I reached my O.G of 1.045, and put it in my conical. Then aerated and pitched my yeast. I made a 4L starter with WLP400 yeast strain, and pitched it into my 30 Gallon wort. After 3 days, there was no more movement and my F.G was 1.03. Thats as low as it would go. So I drained the true out and made a new starter from the rest again to see if it would help. Nothing. I then bough more WLP400, made a 4L starter again, drained the true, aerated, and added new yeast again. It is doing nothing, again, 4 days later from re-pitch. F.G. is still 1.03. My question is, did I somehow end up with not enough fermentable sugar in the wort for my yeast do its thing? My boil was at 154'F, so it wasn't too hot. I know WLP400 is a very slow strain, but this is the first issue I have had like this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked to make sure your hydrometer is calibrated correctly. Or if you are using a refractometer make sure you are adjusting for the alcohol. Was the fermentation temperature, batch size, starter size the same as the first time you made this beer?
Scott
DIBS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,
We have checked out hydrometer. Usually every brew we check it with water at room temperature before we check the wort. Last batch was 20 Gallons, this batch was 30 gallons. Our starter size was obviously bigger, we ended up with a 4L starter as our yeast wasn't brand new, it was a few weeks old. But still the starter was more than efficient. We had the 6 packs of WLP400, with 400G of DME added into 4L of boiled water. Then put on a stir plate for about 36 hrs. It was going nuts in our 5L flask. Still confused as to what went wrong.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIBS wrote:
Hey Scott,
We have checked out hydrometer. Usually every brew we check it with water at room temperature before we check the wort.

Is it calibrated for use at room temp? Many (most?) are not, and are calibrated at 60F instead so you need to translate. You should use distilled water too.

See here for the calibration procedure: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=7

No need to check it every time either. Unless the paper inside slips (unlikely) it's never going to change.

Probably not your issue given that you made the beer before without issues, but I figured I'd point it out....

(not sure why this batch caused you troubles)

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
DIBS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal,
I'm not too sure what caused this. Even after all this, we re-pitched brand new yeast, and It never moved at all. Im at a loss for words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: