Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Not getting 240 Volts to my elements

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doubleplugga

Drinking: Store bought craft beer

Working on: Ruthless Rye clone!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Not getting 240 Volts to my elements Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi guys. Well after using my brewery for 2 years with no problems I decided to check out why my HLT and Boil kettle don't seem to get up to temp as quick as everyone says.
I got out my multi meter and did some checks. So I have 240 volts going into my panel as I checked the input socket, but when I switch on either my HLT element or boil element there is only 220-223 volts being fed to them. Is it common to lose 10 or so volts through the wiring in the panel or is this just he way it is? Doesn't seem right to me.

I can't figure it out!

Cheers guys.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no electronic guru but believe measuring the output voltage of SSR's with a multimeter does not give accurate results. The waveform is chopped up and not a smooth sine wave like the input. A "true RMS" multimeter might give better results but that I am not sure of. I think monitoring the current is the best way to tell your elements are performing normally. Hope this helps.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Not getting 240 Volts to my elements Reply with quote

Doubleplugga wrote:
So I have 240 volts going into my panel as I checked the input socket

Is that under load (ie: an element running, lots of current flowing) or just idle? What does the amp meter read?

Quote:
but when I switch on either my HLT element or boil element there is only 220-223 volts being fed to them.

Where are you measuring this exactly? Same spot as above? And when you say "when I switch on my HLT element" you mean the element is firing and drawing lots of current? What does the amp meter read?

What does the volt meter on the panel read in both situations?

Quote:
Is it common to lose 10 or so volts through the wiring in the panel or is this just he way it is? Doesn't seem right to me.

You shouldn't lose anything in the (relatively speaking) short distances used in the panel. If you measure the voltage going into the panel and compare to that going out to the heating elements it should measure the same.

Assuming you have a standard panel as described in our build instructions here, it's normal however for the voltage displayed on the volt meter to sag (lower) a bit under load vs no load, depending on the quality of your electrical service. It may not be all that uncommon in some cases to see 240V on the volt meter when you first turn it on and no element are running (only 0.1A or so shown on the amp meter) and then have that 240V drop to 230V whenever an element fires (23A or so shown on the amp meter). This voltage would measure the same anywhere in the panel (input side vs at the heating elements).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: