Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

240 VOLT BOIL KETTLE GFCI INSTALLATION

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbird

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: 240 VOLT BOIL KETTLE GFCI INSTALLATION Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello experts.....really need your help here...and sorry for the novel...
I have been making beer for about 30 years or so. Went to all grain 2 years ago (stove top), and now I am in the process of getting set up in the basement for electric. I am trying to install a TRC 25000 inline GFCI for my heater element equipped brew kettle, without success.
I am absolutely USELESS when it comes to electricity! I don't understand it....but anyway, here's my question/dilemma.
I have a dedicated 240 volt wire, on a 20 AMP breaker, that comes directly from my 200 amp box. The circuit was previously used for a pair of baseboard heaters that have since been removed.
The dedicated wire, coming from the 200 amp box, has a BLACK lead, a RED lead and a BARE ground lead. My TRC 25000 GFCI unit has a BRASS colored screw, SILVER colored screw and a GREEN colored screw on the LINE side. It has the same configuration on the LOAD side. I have tried connecting everything as follows: From the dedicated 240 volt wire to the LINE side of the TRC GFCI:- BLACK lead to the BRASS screw, RED lead to the SILVER screw and the BARE ground lead to the GREEN screw.
From the LOAD side, I have connected an identical 3 lead wire to the TRC GFCI unit as follows:- BLACK lead to the BRASS screw, RED lead to the SILVER screw and the BARE ground lead to the GREEN screw...so same "lead color to screw color" as the LINE side of the GFCI unit.
The 3 lead wire leaving the LOAD side of the GFCI unit then goes to a 240 volt 3 terminal socket, 2 hots and one ground(GREEN colored screw).
Connection is as follows:-BLACK lead to one terminal, RED lead to the other terminal and BARE ground lead to GREEN colored "ground" screw. Please see diagram.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Nothing is plugged into socket and there is no DRAW/LOAD on the circuit, just a socket sitting there...
Once all connections are done as described above, I flip the 20 amp breaker at the 200 amp box to ON, and it trips right away.

Also worth mentioning: Before hooking up the GFCI unit I checked it for continuity between each circuit. LINE side brass screw to LOAD side brass screw, LINE side silver screw to LOAD side SILVER screw and LINE side GREEN screw to LOAD side GREEN screw. No continuity between either BRASS or SILVER circuits but I did get continuity between the 2 GREEN screws. Tests were done while both pressing in the reset button as well as not pressing on it. Same results.

what am I doing wrong???

THANK YOU!!! Mug Confused [/img]

WIRING.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.88 KB
 Viewed:  10411 Time(s)

WIRING.png

Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds to be the correct way to wire it up to me. Is there anything printed near the screws? You might want to check in your 200 amp box to make sure that the ground is hooked up there.
bigbird

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. It makes sense to me as well. However, does it sound right that there is no continuity between the 2 brass and 2 silver screws on the GFCI unit? That does not make sense to me?? The GFCI may be defective..??

Thanks again!
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed that part of your post. I would think that if there is no continuity between the brass pairs or silver pairs of screws the gfci would be tripped. With it reset and still no continuity, it would sound like to me that it is a defective one.
hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents worth. Disconnect load side wires at gfi and if it still trips, I would guess the unit is defective
bigbird

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent gentlemen. Thank you so much for your input! Cheers!
tlgrimmy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on how this turned out? Did you end up getting it to work? I just bought the same 20A in line GFCI and am a little concerned after reading this. I noticed another forum demonstrating how to use this unit with a dryer plug. From my understanding the there is no ground on a typical 3 prong dyer plug (3 flat tangs and no round ground style pin). If this GFCI is designed to have a neutral through connection and not a ground, I wonder if that would cause the issue. If so, I'm curious if it would work with just the two hots going through it, running the ground wire outside the gfci. What do you guys think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: