Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

JonyMac's Return Air System for Brewery Fan Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: JonyMac's Return Air System for Brewery Fan Build Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
For my brewery I wanted to install a return air grill for the brewery evacuation fan for several reasons:

1. I wanted to be able to close the door to my brewery and use the fan to evacuate evaporation from the brew kettle while replacing the air with fresh air from outside.
2. I have a propane furnace in the basement near my brewery and I didn't want to pull fumes from the furnace and hot water heater into the brewery.
3. I wanted to be able to open the damper to the return air grill when the weather was cool in order to assist my fermenters in keeping at proper fermentation temps.
4. I wanted to be able to close the duct to keep bugs out of the return air system.

So with these goals in mind, I found a return air grill and used a Nutone 24 volt duct valve so I can open and close the duct with a wall switch. I added a 12 volt LED to the return air grill so I could positively tell when the duct was open or closed. At first I wired in a pressure switch to open and close the duct vane when the fan operated, but found it to be unreliable depending on how fast I was running my fan. I ended up using a wall switch next to my brewery hood light switch and life is now good.

Parts needed:

- Vortex S-Line Ultra Quiet Fan 8" 728 CFM - this is the fan I used to evacuate condensation from the hood - $189
- Nutone MD6TU Duct Damper, 6" Automatic Universal Make-Up Air Damper w/Pressure Sensor Kit - $137
- AIRTEC MV360S Round Diffuser Grille for 4/5/6" Duct - $20
- R-Tech UL Listed 24 VAC to 12 VDC, 1.5 Amp Supply Current Power Adapter for Surveillance Security Camera CCTV - $20
- x2 Speedi-Products EX-WCHD 06 6-Inch Diameter Heavy Duty Wall Cap, Gray - $20
- DIALIGHT 559-0203-007F PANEL MOUNT INDICATOR, LED, 6.35MM, GREEN, 12V - $6
- Kb Electronics Veri-Speed Ac Motor Control - $12 - I use this to control the evacuation fan speed

IMG_9608 by jonymac, on Flickr
Running ducting for return air in front of hood location.

IMG_9073 by jonymac, on Flickr
Wiring and testing return air grill with LED, 120 volt to 24 volt transformer, Nutone 6" electric duct valve, 24 volt to 12 volt transformer for LED, and pressure switch (pressure switch was deleted from design and substituted with wall switch after it was found to be unreliable).

IMG_9906 by jonymac, on Flickr
So, I did not do near enough of a good job sealing the ducts for condensation and had water dripping all over my brewery hood and dangerously close to my breaker panels. A couple of intrepid buddies and I (that's David in the picture) had to pull the hood down (NOT FUN) move the fan, reduct it and use copious amounts of metal duct tape and duct seal putty to keep all the condensation in the duct. We went so far as to create a drip pan that sits on top of the brewery hood and a gutter that runs the length of the exiting duct from the wall to the pan to catch anything that we might have missed and redirect it to the drip pan. We then had to reinstall the hood. (NOT FUN) No more leaks!

IMG_0244 by jonymac, on Flickr
Duct in place and operational in front of brewery hood.

JonyMac

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470

Last edited by jonymac on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I added links to the actual parts to make easier for people to replicate if they choose to do so.

I like the LED on the damper idea so that you can positively know when it's open/closed.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can hear the the duct close and open if the fan isn't running, no one is talking and the music isn't playing... But it is nice to glance up and see the status. It's just bling for convenience. Depending on how cool it is outside, I sometimes open the duct and close the brewery door to drop the temp in the brewery during fermenting to limit the time the pumps run to keep the fermenters cool.
kentuckyjelly

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup! I read that the Vortex fan has a max operating air temp of 140*. There also wasn't much info about using this fan in humid applications. Has everything been working out ok?
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentuckyjelly wrote:
Nice setup! I read that the Vortex fan has a max operating air temp of 140*. There also wasn't much info about using this fan in humid applications. Has everything been working out ok?

Before using one myself I called the manufacturer and confirmed that the Vortex line of fans is appropriate for use in range hood applications where steam and heat are evacuated.

Kal

kentuckyjelly

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
kentuckyjelly wrote:

Before using one myself I called the manufacturer and confirmed that the Vortex line of fans is appropriate for use in range hood applications where steam and heat are evacuated.

Kal

You are using the Vortex atmosphere? Didn't notice it in the new build. Good to know!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kentuckyjelly wrote:
You are using the Vortex atmosphere? Didn't notice it in the new build. Good to know!

Err - no - sorry. I'm using this one:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Vortex-VTX600-6-Powerfan-452-CFM

Probably best you check with the manufacturer if you have any concerns about different models, including the newerVortex Atmostphere. I would imagine that it would be ok, but always best to check.

Sorry for the confusion.

Kal

jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed broken pic links
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:
Fixed broken pic links

It's like a being at an Oprah Winfrey show.....

A broken link for you!
....A broken link for you!
.........And a broken link for you!

But thank you for taking the time to fix them! Your posts are great!
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff!
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: JonyMac's Return Air System for Brewery Fan Build Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:
For my brewery I wanted to install a return air grill for the brewery evacuation fan for several reasons:

1. I wanted to be able to close the door to my brewery and use the fan to evacuate evaporation from the brew kettle while replacing the air with fresh air from outside.
2. I have a propane furnace in the basement near my brewery and I didn't want to pull fumes from the furnace and hot water heater into the brewery.
3. I wanted to be able to open the damper to the return air grill when the weather was cool in order to assist my fermenters in keeping at proper fermentation temps.
4. I wanted to be able to close the duct to keep bugs out of the return air system.

So with these goals in mind, I found a return air grill and used a Nutone 24 volt duct valve so I can open and close the duct with a wall switch. I added a 12 volt LED to the return air grill so I could positively tell when the duct was open or closed. At first I wired in a pressure switch to open and close the duct vane when the fan operated, but found it to be unreliable depending on how fast I was running my fan. I ended up using a wall switch next to my brewery hood light switch and life is now good.

Parts needed:

- Vortex S-Line Ultra Quiet Fan 8" 728 CFM - this is the fan I used to evacuate condensation from the hood - $189
- Nutone MD6TU Duct Damper, 6" Automatic Universal Make-Up Air Damper w/Pressure Sensor Kit - $137
- AIRTEC MV360S Round Diffuser Grille for 4/5/6" Duct - $20
- R-Tech UL Listed 24 VAC to 12 VDC, 1.5 Amp Supply Current Power Adapter for Surveillance Security Camera CCTV - $20
- x2 Speedi-Products EX-WCHD 06 6-Inch Diameter Heavy Duty Wall Cap, Gray - $20
- DIALIGHT 559-0203-007F PANEL MOUNT INDICATOR, LED, 6.35MM, GREEN, 12V - $6
- Kb Electronics Veri-Speed Ac Motor Control - $12 - I use this to control the evacuation fan speed

IMG_9608 by jonymac, on Flickr
Running ducting for return air in front of hood location.

IMG_9073 by jonymac, on Flickr
Wiring and testing return air grill with LED, 120 volt to 24 volt transformer, Nutone 6" electric duct valve, 24 volt to 12 volt transformer for LED, and pressure switch (pressure switch was deleted from design and substituted with wall switch after it was found to be unreliable).

IMG_9906 by jonymac, on Flickr
So, I did not do near enough of a good job sealing the ducts for condensation and had water dripping all over my brewery hood and dangerously close to my breaker panels. A couple of intrepid buddies and I (that's David in the picture) had to pull the hood down (NOT FUN) move the fan, reduct it and use copious amounts of metal duct tape and duct seal putty to keep all the condensation in the duct. We went so far as to create a drip pan that sits on top of the brewery hood and a gutter that runs the length of the exiting duct from the wall to the pan to catch anything that we might have missed and redirect it to the drip pan. We then had to reinstall the hood. (NOT FUN) No more leaks!

IMG_0244 by jonymac, on Flickr
Duct in place and operational in front of brewery hood.

JonyMac

Hi, just wondering whats the flooring and wall made of, Laminate ? , I like the rustic look

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like LifeProof from Home Depot...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifeProof-Heirloom-Pine-8-7-in-W-x-47-6-in-L-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-20-06-sq-ft-case-I969104L/300461609

I put about 1000 sq ft in my basement.
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its actually 4' x 1' tile from Lowes - it looks very real - had extra and we installed it in a bath upstairs too.
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so actual ceramic tile? interesting
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: