Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

JonyMac's Stillwater Home Brewery Bar Basement Build Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This make my garage setup seem absolutely plebian.
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kegging a bitter nut brown to go on nitro...

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you simply purge your sanitized keg, then open the PRV and push from the fermentor to the keg letting the PRV vent the headspace of the keg? That's a nice setup there... maybe the QD is getting lost in the blackness of the handle, but I don't see a QD.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jbrace1

Drinking: Saison de Sol, Summer Noon, Labor Day Pale Ale, Cold Press Coffee

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful build.

I'm interested in the sap boiling. I usually boil with propane on my deck. I am VERY interested in boiling indoors using my brewery vent hood to get rid of steam and electricity from my control panel. I have a 10 gal sap boiling pot and an extra 4500 watt camco heating element that I am planning to add to the pot. My question is: does boiling sap result in a lot of sticky residue on everything? I know the commercial sugaring houses around here drip sap from the ceiling but I don't think their vent systems are keeping up with the steam as they are like the amazon (hot and humid) when they are boiling.

Jeff
View user's photo album (20 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
Do you simply purge your sanitized keg, then open the PRV and push from the fermentor to the keg letting the PRV vent the headspace of the keg? That's a nice setup there... maybe the QD is getting lost in the blackness of the handle, but I don't see a QD.

I should probably let the OP respond but if you look closely the lid latch of the keg he is filling is not engaged. Maybe having the lid a little loose provides enough of a gap to allow displacement of the atmosphere by the liquid.
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huaco - yes - there is a QD there. I purge the keg from the bottom using the beer out connector for a minute or so with the lid cracked and then push the beer at 2 PSI from the fermenter into the keg.

Jbrace1 - Thanks! I boiled 32 gallons of sap this past Sunday in the boil kettle bringing it down to 6 gallons, then drained it to a 5 gallon pot and finished it on my propane cook top. The electric system is awesome for this and creates a nice rolling boil to quickly boil off the water and concentrate the sugar. The sap starts at around 4 Brix and ends up at 66 Brix to be shelf stable and "officially syrup". I run the fan in the hood on high to evacuate all the condensation and it works like a champ. I have a return air duct that I open to bring fresh air in from the outside. No more sticky residue than brewing beer - in fact it's a lot cleaner. Just soak in PBW and wipe out afterwards.

IMG_0046 by jonymac, on Flickr

Maple syrup boiling away - the hose going into the boil kettle is attached to my wort chiller drain that runs behind the back wall up to the ceiling and out to the rain gutter so I don't fill up my septic system with chiller water. I put two valves on the PVC pipe coming out of the basement so I can use the drain line to bring sap down to the basement from a 30 gallon food safe barrel with a locking lid. Flip the valve one way and I can eject chiller water out of the basement, flip them the other and I can send sap down the line and into the boil kettle. I put a control valve on the end of the hose so I can match the boil off rate with the drip rate from the barrel. There is also a NEW stocking over the end to catch debris from the sap collection process.

IMG_0080 by jonymac, on Flickr

After the boil - I kept the boil kettle at a full boil as I dripped sap in. My limit is 6 gallons or so because of where the boil element sits in the pot - don't want that sucker to be exposed to air!

IMG_0058 by jonymac, on Flickr

Here is a video of the boil in progress.

JonyMac

Last edited by jonymac on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
sandovalch

Working on: Irish Red Ale, American Amber Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonymac, I love your setup, it is well done proyect. I like your layout and your fermenters and the control unit.
But, since I am electronics engineer, the thing I will take from your proyect with flow control is the RaspberryPints. The whole time I was looking for something like it, and think it is the best solution for my setup.
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I love RaspberryPints - easy to setup and it adds a silly wow factor to the bar. Best of all, no chalk dust everywhere...
ElectricJosh

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonyMac, first of all huge props on taking the time to share all of this.. definitely a dream build out and it is great seeing it all come together, Thank You for that! My question is more general, sitting where you are now from the brewery perspective, what are your lessons learned? If you could go back a year, what would you have told yourself to do different?

Also, that is has to be the most expensive raspberry pint ever? Wink

Cheers man, and thank again for sharing!
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ElectricJosh - thanks - I still love using the brewery! I have 7 of 8 taps full and my buddies love hanging out and "helping". As far as what I would do differently after having the brewery up for a year now, I really can't think of anything. I had to fix my condensation exhaust system pretty quickly after the build - didn't quite understand what "sealed system" meant. But as far as the layout, tap and CO2 system, fermenters, kettles, kegerator, keezer and cooler, brewing system and the home built fermentation controller - everything is just awesome. I am able to keep everything clean and organized and SWMBO is happy my "beer stuff" is out of her kitchen.
JayBo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the lights in the hood. What did you end up using?
JayBo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jonymac, How did you mount your CFC chiller to the stand? Any close up pics?

thanks!
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaybo - I used Superbrightleds.com - got their waterproof motorcycle 2" led and a transformer: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/mini-auxiliary-lights/2-round-10-watt-led-mini-auxiliary-work-light/1386/ had a ballast go out on one of the lights and they replaced it - love them!

I mounted the chiller to a piece of 1x6 with copper pipe straps and mounted two pieces of C channel to the bottom of the table. Painted it all silver to match. I can slide the chiller out if I need to. I will take pictures this weekend and post them.

JonyMac

Pics:

IMG_2009 by jonymac, on Flickr

IMG_2010 by jonymac, on Flickr

IMG_2011 by jonymac, on Flickr

Last edited by jonymac on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "On Tap" display is very nice. How was this done?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kraig wrote:
The "On Tap" display is very nice. How was this done?

http://raspberrypints.com/

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Also found beermenus.com. Seems familiar, but I'm unable to find if a cost is involved.
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raspberry pints is free, so you can't beat that!
Stymingersfink

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds Like your Brewery is pretty awesome. I want to look at it, but on my end there are no pictures. Looks like all the links are broken. Can they be relinked?
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stimingersfink - great name - should be on a beer label! Yes, my images were hosted on Dropbox and they stopped all external links to images so I am in the process of moving and relinking on Flikr - should have them back up shortly.
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed broken photo links
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: