Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

New speakers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: New speakers Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I figured this was a pretty good place to ask. I'm pretty sure Kal is an A/V guys and most people here have expensive hobbies. I just purchased some Definitive Technology BP-8060st. They were 40% off and I've been meaning to get a set of real towers for a long time. I've always read good reviews on them. I've always been partial to Bowers and Wilkin speakers. I've never heard a pair of any size that I didn't think were amazing.

I haven't had these DefTech speakers long enough to break them in. While they do sound really, really good, they don't sound as good to me as B&W speakers I've heard. My question is this: Do they actually compare or is B&W simply a better speaker on a better tier? Is it they haven't been broken in or maybe positioning? Again they sound great, but I wasn't awed like with B&W.

I figure Kal will have a list of questions, so.....

Integra DTR-50.7
Listening in stereo (everything set to default)
14 gauge speaker wire and banana plugs (moster cable)
Room is about 30x30 with carpet

No "real" amp (that might be something there, B&Ws were always on a separate amp)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaker preference is very subjective. Both B&W and DefTech make speakers that are (for the most part) well regarded. I would go with whatever you prefer and work well in your room.

Maybe not the answer you expected but it's an honest one. Wink

If you're looking for more thoughts/ideas, try posting in my Home Theater forum here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/
There's a ton of real A/V nuts on there that will talk your ear off and will most definitely have lots of experience with both sets of speakers. I'll keep an eye out too and make sure you get the answers you need. Tell them I sent you!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
That forum looks VERY familiar!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Yup. It came first (almost 350,000 posts there and about 10% of that here). I didn't want to re-invent the wheel when I threw together a forum to use here. Software's getting a bit long in the tooth but still works reasonably well. Missing a couple of the nicer features of new forum software but oh well....

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: