Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

FBC Brewery Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Tiny wrote:
McGruber, your setup is really nice. My wife loves your light fixture. I am try to build one for her new bathroom, but figuring out what the name of that electrical elbow is proving to be tough. Has anyone figured it out by chance?

I looked online for a little bit. Best I can come up with is it's called a 'swivel'.
http://www.grandbrass.com/catalog.cfm?category=Swivels&subcategory=All If you have the patience to search all the key words and images I'd also include 'knuckle', 1/2" NPT, socket, wing nut, etc.

If you can't find the exact part, I found this article too. http://blog.homedepot.com/diy-industrial-lamp-cool-desk-lamp-made-from-pipe/ which shows an alternate way of building a non-adjustable 90.

An antique lighting store clerk gave me the address of some guy's shop/ garage where he builds/ repairs lights. That's where I bought them. I don't have a phone number and I basically had to figure out the secret handshake to get them to tell me where he was located, but I could probably find it again. My receipt was a post-it note with no contact info on it. I don't get out much to the city where I bought them, but if I'm out there again I'll stop in and ask the guy. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Tiny

Drinking: Simcoe IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you McGruber, that is super helpful. Those swivels will work great.

Thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate it.

Cheers
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Panel Mount Reply with quote

Hello McGruber - another question for you. Do you remember the model of the drop down panel mount (tv mount) you are using. I see a bunch on amazon, but would prefer to order one that is proven. Cheers. (also, is is working well for you?)

Thanks.
// brian
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Panel Mount Reply with quote

Anticlimaddox wrote:
Do you remember the model of the drop down panel mount (tv mount) you are using. I see a bunch on amazon, but would prefer to order one that is proven. Cheers. (also, is is working well for you?)

Hi again Brian, (how is the light assembly working out?)

Here is the link to TV mount I got (work your magic Kal) http://amzn.to/26m6eMT . I think it's a great mount and I was impressed by its construction. It's very well designed, it was easy to assemble, and I think it's practically bomb proof if you secure it to a sturdy ceiling.

I modified it slightly by cutting the horizontal arm so it doesn't protrude from the sides of the control panel. *Be forewarned that the steel is thick and ovoid shaped, so have a good way to cut a double-thickness of heavy duty steel clean and straight on both ends. I made it work but it was a battle. I then filed it smooth and placed the plastic caps back on. It might be hard to tell from the pictures but the power cord can run down through the top of the tube if you like, which is what I did.

Good luck!
Anticlimaddox

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel Mount Reply with quote

McGruber wrote:
I modified it slightly by cutting the horizontal arm so it doesn't protrude from the sides of the control panel. *Be forewarned that the steel is thick and ovoid shaped, so have a good way to cut a double-thickness of heavy duty steel clean and straight on both ends. I made it work but it was a battle. I then filed it smooth and placed the plastic caps back on. It might be hard to tell from the pictures but the power cord can run down through the top of the tube if you like, which is what I did.

Ah perfect. Pricer than the others I've looked at but I want something sturdy. Thanks!

On the light - still working out the bigger details at the moment. Got a little hung up on where to vent out of my basement but I'll soon be back to the more aesthetic stuff. I'm thinking of a similar approach maybe outdoor galvanized cage lights, less finished than what you did. Build process is here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28835

Thanks again for all the input, very much appreciated.
// brian
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: FBC Brewery build AFTER pictures Reply with quote

@McGruber... how tall is your hood? I'm thinking of going 18" tall and yours definitely looks taller than 12"

Thanks!

McGruber wrote:
...and here are the AFTER pictures.

Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: FBC Brewery build AFTER pictures Reply with quote

Jerz wrote:
@McGruber... how tall is your hood? I'm thinking of going 18" tall and yours definitely looks taller than 12"

Its total dimensions are 15" deep X 35" wide X 96" long.
jimmiec

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice setup. I was wondering if you were getting any condensation on the light fixtures or noticed any problems with having them behind the kettles like that?
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmiec wrote:
Very nice setup. I was wondering if you were getting any condensation on the light fixtures or noticed any problems with having them behind the kettles like that?

Thanks! I haven't noticed any condensation. The steam moves up into the hood pretty quickly, and the lights are far enough behind the kettle to not get directly steamed. I haven't had any problems with them being in the way, though I have tapped the light behind the MLT with my mash paddle once or twice (glad it has a cage).
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the steam tends to funnel straight up in the vent hole in my hood. Mine's directly centered above my boil kettle (left most kettle) and you can see this funneling here as I have a light shining down on it:

Because of that the steam doesn't go anywhere else. If it does pool enough to get to other places like the back wall, your fan isn't strong enough.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jimmiec

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Sounds good because the wall I want to put my brewing table along already has a light fixture and was worried it would be in the way, until I saw this set up. I'm going to keep the light outlet but change out the fixture so that there are multiple light bulbs.

I'm going to install a temporary condensation hood this weekend. The fan (VTX600) and variable dial are coming tomorrow. Thanks for the link to the fan and idea of the hood. If it is not enough than I will upgrade to the 8" 800 CFM but hoping it will be fine since it will be a short run.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump - I updated a bunch of pictures and links.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a disgusting, abused, Perlick Keg dispensing system (built in 1995 I discovered) off an out of business restaurant for a steal. It had four tap handles for 1/2 barrel kegs. I can't seem to find many pictures of the build (but it was a pain in the a**) - I'll have to do more digging. Maybe I just never wanted to touch my phone while working on it. Here's the finished product. It has an attached side cabinet for storing/chilling glasses and/or wine.

I stripped it down, scraped and pressure washed the 3" of moldy water out of the bottom of the inside (which I ended up wearing most of), rehabbed the doors and tried with some success to fix the door seals, buffed out the mold and rust from all the the inside surfaces, rehabbed the stainless steel top, redid the electrical, had the cooling unit serviced, silicone caulked and rehabbed the drainage system, put in Micromatic CO2 regulators for each handle, installed new towers/ draft lines/ CO2 lines and 8 Perlick Flow Control Faucets and installed a glass pre-rinser on it.

Works pretty awesome. I call it ÜBS - the Ultimate Beer System. My friends like my ÜBS.

IMG_9465.jpg
 Description:
Apparently the glass rinser isn't installed in this picture. Will update soon.
 Filesize:  215.36 KB
 Viewed:  29183 Time(s)

IMG_9465.jpg

IMG_9500.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  286.03 KB

IMG_9500.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 8.17.29 PM.png
 Description:
This is was supposed to be a video of the pre-rinse working, but I can't figure out how to post it. Here's a screenshot.
 Filesize:  293.2 KB

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 8.17.29 PM.png

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! What's it going to be used for? Meaning, I assume you already have a serving setup and this one's (somewhat) portable?

Kal

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nice! What's it going to be used for? Meaning, I assume you already have a serving setup and this one's (somewhat) portable?

Currently it's my only serving system. I need to update the pictures of the SS jockey box with three handles in this thread, but that's my "portable system". This one's crazy heavy. I actually had to use a truck to drag it out through the restaurant entrance doors because I didn't have a better method or manpower. It could be portable but it sticks several feet out of the back of a standard pickup truck and is extremely heavy. I was able to get it on my backyard patio with relative ease for a big party this summer, but it's currently living in my garage.

We want to remodel our basement common room which abuts the brewery space, but I'm not sure there will be a better solution down there and this will likely be my dispensing system for the foreseeable future. I can't get it downstairs because of weight, and there's a sharp corner at the bottom of the stairs that would not allow its length to pass. I could maybe run my glycol to chill a system like yours in the basement, but the way the room is arranged it would make for an awkward seating arrangement.

I have a keezer that I built as the first version of my fermentation cabinet build (see that link for specifics on why that didn't work out) and is visible in my updated images in the brewery. I've been using it for crash chilling/ conditioning kegs recently and it's very useful as such - (I have a Munich Helles doing a diacetyl rest right now that I plan to rest in there for several weeks). I'm trying to decide if I want to put 4 tap handles in it and use it for serving - especially sour beers, but I'm not sure yet.

Last edited by McGruber on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best way to post a video of the glass rinser?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those things are definitely heavy! Loud too - I wouldn’t want one indoors in a normal living space where you’re trying to watch TV or similar. Perfect for the patio or garage like you mentioned.

Best way to post videos? Post to some service like YouTube, Instagram, or similar and post a link.

Kal

Joey

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it somewhere on this thread, but what is the fourth kettle for in original picture posted?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same question. Wink

kal wrote:
P.S. I see 4 kettles - what's the 4th for?

McGruber wrote:
The 4th kettle is a whirlpool. It's a 160 qt aluminum stock pot, which is a little ridiculous given that 11 gallons of wort only fills it less than a 1/4 full. I wanted a wider bottom at a lower cost than the Blichmann's. I had thought about having the height cut down about halfway, but I'm going to leave it for now. I wasn't impressed with the whirlpool speed on a wet test - it was fairly lazy. As an aside, does anyone know if it's possible to run the pumps in series? I'm thinking about trying it to see if I can increase whirlpool speed.

Kal

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal correctly quoted that it's a whirlpool. Also, I fixed the whirlpool speed issue by using a dedicated WP pump and I replaced the stock impeller with a larger impeller that is available for purchase. It's much better now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: