Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

To George!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: To George! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Any advise on my water adjustments and do I need to include the "Carapils" in the calculation ?
Bohemian Pilsner 10 Gals.

Bohemian Pilsner.jpg
 Description:
EZ Water
 Filesize:  284.21 KB
 Viewed:  10563 Time(s)

Bohemian Pilsner.jpg

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All grain should be included in the calculations - Carapils/Carafoam's a Crystal 2L. Won't make much of a difference but you might as well... it only affects what the software thinks your pH will be but I don't use that anyway (since it's not accurate). I use a pH meter to confirm and then add lactic acid to get it down lower if needed.

For a Bo Pils I treated my water with brewing salts to: Ca=21, Mg=5, Na=18, Cl=16, S04=21
So pretty low. Some people like to go even lower (even softer).

Your number are pretty darned close and down really low so I bet it would taste about the same as what I did.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kal
Wanted to put forth my best effort on this brew, since it's my favorite style.
Did I read somewhere that you could pull up different water profiles from around
the world within EZ Water or was it just a daydream! LOL
Cheers!

kal wrote:
All grain should be included in the calculations - Carapils/Carafoam's a Crystal 2L. Won't make much of a difference but you might as well... it only affects what the software thinks your pH will be but I don't use that anyway (since it's not accurate). I use a pH meter to confirm and then add lactic acid to get it down lower if needed.

For a Bo Pils I treated my water with brewing salts to: Ca=21, Mg=5, Na=18, Cl=16, S04=21
So pretty low. Some people like to go even lower (even softer).

Your number are pretty darned close and down really low so I bet it would taste about the same as what I did.

Kal

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennessee wrote:
Did I read somewhere that you could pull up different water profiles from around

I don't remember seeing that, but keep in mind too that water's only one part of the equation. Often brewers would alter their recipe (or water). So to alter your water to be like like that of Burton on Trent in the UK (for example) because you want to brew a beer that's made there, you have to keep in mind that the brewery may be diluting with RO water or doing something else. I think Fullers does something special to their water in this way.

All this to say, I think the idea of targeting your water to be like a region is the wrong approach. You should target for the style or taste - ie: what you're going for.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed
Was probably thinking about the feature in "beer tools pro".

kal wrote:
Tennessee wrote:

I don't remember seeing that, but keep in mind too that water's only one part of the equation. Often brewers would alter their recipe (or water). So to alter your water to be like like that of Burton on Trent in the UK (for example) because you want to brew a beer that's made there, you have to keep in mind that the brewery may be diluting with RO water or doing something else. I think Fullers does something special to their water in this way.

All this to say, I think the idea of targeting your water to be like a region is the wrong approach. You should target for the style or taste - ie: what you're going for.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: