Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Volt & Amp meter wiring diagrams

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Volt & Amp meter wiring diagrams Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Wiring the volt and amp meters seems to be a common source of confusion, so I thought I'd throw together a picture using the meters that we sell in our kits (and use in our pre-built panels) that provides more information.

First, here is the existing wiring diagram found in our instructions:

Followed by the new diagram:

Meter labels will vary by manufacturer. Below are two popular meters with the connection points labelled to match those found in our wiring diagram:

For complete details, see: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=9

Other manfucturers of these meters may use completely different labels, and there's no guarantee that the manufacturer shown above will continue to use these same labels with the same pinouts, so please heed the warning in the instructions:

Quote:
WARNING! Always confirm the connection points on the transformers, power supplies, and meters with the documentation that was supplied or by referring to the labels directly on the device itself. Your devices may use connections that are slightly different from the ones shown here. For example, do not assume that the left most connection on the back of the volt meter is for +5V DC. The manufacturer may have changed the pinout or you may have purchased a slightly different version than the one we use here. Always confirm and read the labels that are provided with the devices you install before attaching wires and turning on the power. Failure to do so can easily destroy the meters.

I hope this helps!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dnierer

Drinking: Electric Hop Candy

Working on: Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Volt meter orientation Reply with quote

Why does the volt meter appear to be orientated upside down compare to the amp meter. Mine are from the same manufacturer, shouldn't the pins both be located at the bottom when both are installed? And not opposite as shown in the instructions.

Thanks,
Dru
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Volt meter orientation Reply with quote

dnierer wrote:
Why does the volt meter appear to be orientated upside down compare to the amp meter. Mine are from the same manufacturer, shouldn't the pins both be located at the bottom when both are installed? And not opposite as shown in the instructions.

The ones in the photo are also the same manufacturer (MINLIN). These are the ones I used in my build and instuctions and they're also the same ones we use in our control panels (both kits and assembled).

For whatever reason the manufacturer decided to build them this way. When properly installed, one will have one the connectors near the top, the other near the bottom. This does not affect functionality.

You can always install them such that the connectors are on the same side (either top or bottom), but then one set of numbers will be upside down. Wink

Kal

dnierer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way to tell how they should be orientated with out applying power?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Orient them as per the pictures in my instructions. The picture above shows the correct orientation. You can see the outside (top) edge of enclosure waterproof surround. The volt meter will appear be upside down from the inside of the panel. The amp meter the right way up.

Kal

dnierer

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick responses! Upon closer inspection of my volt meter, I can see the decimal points for the digits are on the bottom right, so in my case both the volt meter and amp meter should be orientated with the pins on the bottom. Mine are Asia Engineer from eBay

Dru
Rodrigo Lima

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Ive read your instructions about using independent power supplies for each meter, but I was wondering if youve ever tried a converter to direct convert 220v ac to 5v dc, just like the one bellow. So that, we will use only one power supply (5v) to both meters.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-110V-220V-to-DC-5V-5A-25W-LED-Strip-Light-Switching-Power-Supply-Converter-/391232118816?hash=item5b17406020:g:~sMAAOSwT6pV1v8e

I know that you have the knowledge and hands on this subject, but dont you think that this could work?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodrigo Lima wrote:
Ive read your instructions about using independent power supplies for each meter, but I was wondering if youve ever tried a converter to direct convert 220v ac to 5v dc, just like the one bellow. So that, we will use only one power supply (5v) to both meters.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-110V-220V-to-DC-5V-5A-25W-LED-Strip-Light-Switching-Power-Supply-Converter-/391232118816?hash=item5b17406020:g:~sMAAOSwT6pV1v8e

I know that you have the knowledge and hands on this subject, but dont you think that this could work?

Yes, we used to use exactly something like that for our pre-built panels. Example:

We stopped because most required an internal board modification because of the way they were built. Most times you cannot just use them as is because of the non-isolated way the insides are wired - the same issue with sharing a single power supply/transformer with both meters. So I don't recommend them unless you have a good understanding of what sort of low level circuit board changes may be required. Given that all brands are different detailed instructions can't be given so you have to have a good understanding of electronics to be able to reverse engineer the combined specific power supply you're looking at.

You'd still need to use separate supplies however given how the two meters are wired.

Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: