Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

The Clean Up - Maybe I need a How-To?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Based on having now done 3 brews my with EB, I recommend cleaning the boil kettle level gauge glass and the MLT kettle level gauge glass. Using the hex key simply remove the set screw at the top and bottom. Pour clean water from the top and then run the cleaning gauge brush thru the tube a few times.

More detailed instructions, including photos, are on page 8 of the Boiler Maker manual.

I was surprised how much gunk/debris came out of the gauge glass.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kraig wrote:
Based on having now done 3 brews my with EB, I recommend cleaning the boil kettle level gauge glass and the MLT kettle level gauge glass. Using the hex key simply remove the set screw at the top and bottom. Pour clean water from the top and then run the cleaning gauge brush thru the tube a few times.

More detailed instructions, including photos, are on page 8 of the Boiler Maker manual.

I was surprised how much gunk/debris came out of the gauge glass.

Definitely clean them! I do every time, pass the included brush through after removing the nut, and then pushing some water through with the hose when cleaning the MLT, or the sink spray wash arm when cleaning the boil kettle. Pics: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/kettles-overview?page=4

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that to clean the boil kettle element, many say they just use a sponge to wipe it down. This simply doesnt work for me. I scrub the **** out of this element with a soft sponge and it still gets white and brown crust on it. What gives?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
I know that to clean the boil kettle element, many say they just use a sponge to wipe it down. This simply doesnt work for me. I scrub the **** out of this element with a soft sponge and it still gets white and brown crust on it. What gives?

Is it still wet when you go to clean it? What's the water like that you use? If it's not coming clean you may want to try a cleaner, though starting with something simple like PBW or Oxiclean. Commercial breweries will use something more caustic in their CIP setups (works fine on these elements).

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to follow up to this as I brewed recently and still have the same problem. I don't know that the element is still wet when I clean it, in fact I'd probably say not. The time it takes to pump the last bit of wort (the liquid level having dropped below the element at this point) is probably long enough for the element to dry.

I just use my tap water in my kitchen, about as hot as my hands can stand.

I haven't done a full Oxiclean recirc in about a year...so probably going to try that next.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used Oxiclean Free to clean all my brewing equipment. I recently used PBW and don't think I'll go back to to Oxiclean. That PBW is amazing! It cleans so much better. Yes it is more expensive but with quality comes a price I guess. Acid #5 works well too.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
KB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me cleaning up is similar to playing sports, especially baseball. I'm standing around, basically doing nothing, then all-of-a-sudden, I'm busy. Especially at the end of a long brew day. I know cleaning up is important and should not be put off. If I could only figure out a way to clean up at the beginning when I'm fresh... ha ha where's my time machine?
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a scrub with a spray hose and a pad on everything after brewing then a full PBW and star-sans clean out right before the start of brewing , it’s just amazing where it hides, I really go after it some days and still have dirty cleanout water on brewday
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother with StarSan (a sanitizer) on the hot side as everything will be boiled. There's no need to sanitize. You're just going to dump in a bunch of unsanitary grain.

On the hot side I just make sure everything's reasonably clean but don't fret if it's not perfect as it just doesn't matter (and won't make a difference to the finished beer). The exception is the boil kettle element. It should look as close to new every time as you don't want to cook on anything. I use a kitchen scrub brush and/or a blue scrub sponge to make sure there's nothing on it. Usually there's a white residue that just wipes off.

Then about once a year I recirculate PBW or Oxiclean at ~170F for a couple of hours through everything to get rid of any caked on grime/hop oils/etc.

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using star-sans not as a sanitizer on brew day at first, it was a problem for me with PBW leaving a white film everywhere, I researched this and they said use an acid to remove it and star-sans will work and it does so the problem was solved.

I also think it’s necessary because I brew outside I was worried about my hlt and mash tun after seeing a little mildew one day so it’s just a safeguard at that point

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sense!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think I have plenty of time left in the brew day to cleanup. Next thing I know I'm cooling the wort thinking, "crap. Why didn't I do this earlier?".
mtweeman

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, how much of PBW you pour into your kettle when making a throughout clean? As recommended on the package or some different amount?
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember off the top of my head but I would assume I just took a scoop and filled with water. With that said, I would recommend doing what the package says.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtweeman wrote:
Just wondering, how much of PBW you pour into your kettle when making a throughout clean? As recommended on the package or some different amount?

I use 1 oz of PBW per gallon of water.
What's the recommended dosage on the packaging? I'm not even sure...

Kal

mtweeman

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I found it. Your dosage is the lowest recommended value, Kal. Upper boundary is 3oz. See:
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/PBWTech.pdf
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the doc:

"CIRCULATION CLEANING: Use 1 to 3 ounces per gallon depending on soil load. Heat to 130° to 180° F for 30 minutes."

So yep, I'm at the low end at 1 oz per gallon but the 'soil level' is extremely low so I think it makes sense. I do this when the kettles and everything are clean, I'm just trying to get them shiny again. I heat to 170F and recirc for quite a bit longer (an hour or two or whatever - I just let it run for a while).

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the "Once a Year Cleaning" on Saturday, October 27, 2018. I clean everything, and I mean everything, after every brew. However, I was glad/saddened/surprised, etc by the murky, malty colored water when I did the 170F PBW recycle for 45 minutes.

Why saddened/surprised? Thought I cleaned everything really good after each brew. Didn't expect the murky/malty colored water after doing the cleaning cycle.

Why glad? Glad I did and got rid of the gunk I obviously missed when cleaning after brewing.

I highly recommend the yearly cleaning cycle! Yes, was a PITA, but worth the time and trouble.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Why saddened/surprised? Thought I cleaned everything really good after each brew. Didn't expect the murky/malty colored water after doing the cleaning cycle. Why glad? Glad I did and got rid of the gunk I obviously missed when cleaning after brewing.

The important thing to remember however is that even though you likely had some build-up that got cleaned off, had you not cleaned it off it would do absolutely nothing to the quality of your beer.

I like to do a deep clean to my hot side brewing equipment too about once a year, but it does nothing to make my beer better. It's just to make things shiny again.

Kal

Dan Cook

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kal"]
KB wrote:

I like to do a deep clean to my hot side brewing equipment too about once a year, but it does nothing to make my beer better. It's just to make things shiny again.

Kal

At the end of brew day yesterday I decided to pump hot water + PBW through a CIP ball in order to give my boil kettle that shine again (it's quite deep and almost impossible to clean the concave dish at the bottom other than by laying it on the ground and crawling into it). The pump was running and the elements were running and the water heating up. Then my Kal control panel's power supply shorted out and everything shut down. After resetting the panel and turning it back on, it shut down again as soon as I turned on the elements.

I've used my panel a dozen times and never had the breaker trip like this. Other than a possible short in my element wiring, the only other explanation I can come up with is that the ionic solution of water + PBW is causing arcs or similar from one element to the other, like static discharge.

Is there anything to that theory? It's not like I bumped the element housing or otherwise caused the wiring to suddenly go loose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: