Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

GFCI For 120V RIMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brewtjbrew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: GFCI For 120V RIMS Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
There is no ground wire in my apartment and it is only 120v with 20amp breakers. Unfortunately I discovered this after building my panel. My RIMS panel is running a chugger, a solenoid and a 4500w 220V element which will only be using the available 120v. My question is whether a simple 20amp GFCI outlet like the kind with a reset button on the front of the wall receptacle will be sufficient protection. I have read about people adding spa panels etc, but I am assuming that is only for a full on multiple 220v element system where there is much more amperage powered under 220 Volts. My circuit will probably use like 18amps max if that. Every outlet runs into a ground bus in my controller box. Am I SOL? Can I just plug the whole thing into one of these if I replace the receptacle I was going to get power from with a gfci?
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewtjbrew,
Do you have an electric range or a clothes dryer in your apartment?
If you do, then you do have 240V service.
I'm would not advise you to change any of the circuit breakers in an apartment without permission and I would be surprised if they let you.
Having said that...
If you do have a Cloths Dryer, you could use that plug, IF there is a ground. At a minimum there will be two power wires and a ground wire, however I think (not sure) that most current (recent) codes require a 4-wire plug in.

The typical electric power in the US is a split 240 Volts AC by xx Amps. This is two 120 Volt wires and one Ground / Neutral. The two 120 Volt wires are 180 degrees out of phase, so that 120V to neutral gets you 120V and 120V to -120V will get you 240V. At your Breaker Box the Neutral and Ground are the same. Downstream of the Breaker Box the neutral and ground SHALL NEVER meet again.
The GFCI is Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt, this device is constantly measuring the current in the ground wire (there should be none) and as soon as it senses any current in the ground wire (meaning there is a short from power to ground) the breaker trips. This is to keep you from "lighting up". These are required any place water is present. Water makes a pretty good conductor and it has a knack of getting in all the wrong places.

I know this does not answer your question, but hopefully adds a little information.

David
Brewtjbrew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response David H. I think that your information is very useful but I don't plan on changing any breakers or anything like that. I am only talking about changing the wall receptacle where I will plug my panel into the wall using one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LFZTVI6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00LFZTVI6&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=F63PUJ6MPAF7PBTH , and I am fine with using the 120v because the RIMS is only for maintaining mash temps and doing stepups from protein rest through mashout. 120v should be sufficient for my purposes I think annd no I don't have 220v in my laundry area. I opened up my main breaker panel and there is only two wires coming in. Same thing in my laundry area.
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ,
the short answer to your question is it does not matter where in the circuit the GFCI is located. So yes you can replace an existing standard outlet with a GFCI outlet.

Before you install a 20 amp GFCI, MAKE SURE you are on a 20 amp circuit. I also think you will need a Power Wire, Neutral Wire and Ground Wire for the GFCI to function.

By the way. A 220 V 5500 watt Heater Element will only put out 1374 Watts and draw 11.5 Amps at 120 Volts.

Good luck and stay safe.

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much agreement on making sure it is a 20 amp circuit with proper wiring.

David_H wrote:
I also think you will need a Power Wire, Neutral Wire and Ground Wire for the GFCI to function.

GFCIs do not require a grounded conductor (commonly a bare or green-coated wire in the United States) to function properly.
VaWineSnob

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install a 20 amp GFCI on a 15 amp circuit. You cannot install a 15 amp GFCI on a 20 amp circuit.

Ground is not required for a GFCI outlet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: