Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

MLT does not equalize HLT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tlpegg001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: MLT does not equalize HLT Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I finally got my set up going. I have brewed two times and both times I noticed the mash ton was not equalizing with the hot liquor tank. To get the MLT up to the desired 154° I would have to set the hot liquor tank to 169°. My set up is very similar to Kal's plan. I noticed I had a couple hoses about 12 inches too long and I've cut those down. I do not use Brinkman kettles, mine were made by Concord and purchased on eBay. I have a 50 foot coil in my HLT that was purchased by stainless steel brewing. My PID's are functioning correctly and my temperature probes are calibrated. During my last trial I took the temperature of the water flowing out of the mash tank hose, I noticed it was much lower about 2 to 3° then the HLT water temp. The suction on my tanks is pretty close to the bottom of my kettles, could I be transferring heat to my stainless steel table which is causing a high Delta T between the two tanks? My pumps are chuggers with stainless steel heads. My kettles are 1 mm thick for the eBay webpage. The only other thing I can think that it is is the coil isn't transferring enough of the heat from the HLT.

My water test tonight took an hour to go from 144 to 151

Any thoughts from the masses would be much appreciated thank you.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MLT does not equalize HLT Reply with quote

Tlpegg001 wrote:
To get the MLT up to the desired 154° I would have to set the hot liquor tank to 169°.

Some people have a degree or two difference, but that's huge. You likely have flow problems / heat transfer problems somewhere. You say your setup's very similar but it sounds like only in concept (I'm assuming) as most of the parts you mention are not the same.

Quote:
could I be transferring heat to my stainless steel table which is causing a high Delta T between the two tanks?

No. I have both my MLT and HLT on a stainless table too.

Quote:
My water test tonight took an hour to go from 144 to 151

That's really long.

So we need more info:

- What size kettles?
- What batch size were you doing?
- What wattage heating elements?
- Are you sure the heating elements are being fed 240V and not 120V? Ie: What's the amp meter read when the HLT element is firing?
- What's the temperature of the sweet wort coming out of the HERMS coil (as it heads back to the MLT)? It should be equal to the HLT temp.
- What sort of false bottom?
- What's your crush like? What was the mill gap set to? If crushed too fine you may get poor flow. I recommend 0.045" to 0.050".

Something somewhere is different causing these issues.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tlpegg001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

You are correct, like your design in concept not in practice, sorry for implying as much.

So we need more info:

- What size kettles?
80 QT 1.0 mm thick

- What batch size were you doing?
10 gallon batch (test run had 6 gallons in MLT)

- What wattage heating elements?
5500 W

- Are you sure the heating elements are being fed 240V and not 120V? Ie: What's the amp meter read when the HLT element is firing?
yes 240 V feed, is approx 27-29 amps HLT hits 154 fine,

- What's the temperature of the sweet wort coming out of the HERMS coil (as it heads back to the MLT)? It should be equal to the HLT temp.

It does not equal, that is what does not make sense... It's almost like the there is no heat transfer

Stamped screen on the MLT, nothing on the HLT. The screen is not flat, it has a similar geometry to a flattened top hat.

- What's your crush like? What was the mill gap set to? If crushed too fine you may get poor flow. I recommend 0.045" to 0.050". The hour long ramp was with water only, so grain was not relevant.

Something somewhere is different causing these issues.

My hoses were about 12 inches too long, but I have corrected that.

I am loosing heat somewhere.... I will follow up with pics
Tlpegg001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One clarification...

During the test run the HLT was filled above the coil.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply Reply with quote

Tlpegg001 wrote:
yes 240 V feed, is approx 27-29 amps HLT hits 154 fine,

Strange. 27-29 amps is high. A 5500W element running at 240V draws 5500/240 = 22.9 amps. The rest of the items add about 1-2 amps, so I'd expect to see 24-25 amps max. Maybe that's what you're seeing. This however shouldn't be something to look into as part of the issue, I'm just mentioning.

Quote:

It does not equal, that is what does not make sense... It's almost like the there is no heat transfer

Yes, strange.

Stamped screen on the MLT, nothing on the HLT. The screen is not flat, it has a similar geometry to a flattened top hat.

Quote:
- What's your crush like? What was the mill gap set to? If crushed too fine you may get poor flow. I recommend 0.045" to 0.050". The hour long ramp was with water only, so grain was not relevant.

Ok - good. Testing with water's the best idea because then questions like what false bottom you're using do not matter.
How's the flow look compared the videos I show in my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP article?

I don't understand why you're not getting much of any heat transfer. I can't think of anything else obvious to look for other than if for some reason the flow is really slow (?). I run both pumps open 100%.

Quote:
My hoses were about 12 inches too long, but I have corrected that.

That's a very minor thing and shouldn't affect much of anything.

Quote:
I am loosing heat somewhere.... I will follow up with pics

Pictures would be good. Often it'll become obvious.

Kal

foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply Reply with quote

Tlpegg001 wrote:

That is most troublesome. Are you recirculating the HLT (both pumps are running) and getting a good even temperature throughout the HLT? Have you measured the HLT temperature with a thermometer to verify it? Stirred and verified again? If you are not getting a good even temp in the HLT, is the wort feed though the coil going top to bottom or bottom to top?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the ID of your HERMS coil? Too little volume/flow makes for tough times when it comes to changing the thermal mass of the MLT. It would be very interesting to see what your actual HERMS input temp vs. output temps are. Also, consider the thickness of the walls of your HERMS coil. I talked to a guy that had some crazy-thick-wall tubing and he was also having trouble with thermal transfer. (Stainless, not copper) Likewise, I've got buddies who hate their HERMS because they are using a 3/8"OD HERMS coil. They have issues with it getting plugged by stray grains and when it's not plugged, they simply can't flow enough heated volume of wort to effectively step their mash. They can only maintain the mash if it isn't windy or too cold.

My 50' HERMS coil is 1/2" OD copper and I consistently have a 2°F delta from mash temp to HERMS.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
VaWineSnob

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MLT does not equalize HLT Reply with quote

Tlpegg001 wrote:
The suction on my tanks is pretty close to the bottom of my kettles,

Do you mean the dip tube is close to the bottom of the kettle? As in too close, restricting the flow?
Tlpegg001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reran the test again using full HLT and 6 gallon in MLT. Valves wide open, chugger chugging. It appears that my system for what ever reason has a 6° offset. When the HLT has a set point of 160 I can achieve 154 in the MLT. Here are some pics

The first Pic shows the Control panel reading. Mind the amp meter, that is why I said the 27-29, it actual bounces around. I checked the output voltage of the VR and it was 11 V.. oops. Not sure If this would affect the AMP meter accuracy or not but dialed in the Pot anyway, running about 4.06 V now. I checked the amps of the hot line to the HLT coil with a clamp on Amp meter, it was reading 22.8 -23.1 amp when running.

Looking at the picture of the control panel again, you can see the temp through the probe on the HLT is 159. Looking at the hose in the HLT that comes out of the HERMS coil you will see the temp as 155, A 4 deg Delta. Both probes confirmed accurate with thermo pen. As of this point, it look like I just might plan on running the HLT 6 deg hotter.

[/img]

FullSizeRender (7).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.44 KB
 Viewed:  33958 Time(s)

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

FullSizeRender (6).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.06 KB

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

FullSizeRender (5).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.32 KB

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

FullSizeRender (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.79 KB

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.91 KB

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.32 KB

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.24 KB

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.25 KB

FullSizeRender.jpg

hopster54

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see in all your pics you are pumping from your MLT to the top of your herms coil,switch your hoses around and pump from MLT to bottom of herms coil then out from top of herms coil to MLT.

Return water elbow inside your HLT should be at a 45 degree angle to aid in better recirculation in HLT.

On your mash tun screen,you are using a false bottom designed for a sanke keg,that false bottom is way to small for the diameter of pot you have and will cause you big problems when mashing-poor flow and not good efficency.

I am not an expert, my system is built but not in use yet.

Just my take on what i see,a little insulation under your pots wouldnt hurt either to prevent thermal transfer to your table,everything helps to maintain temps.

good luck

Mug

Just a thought---have you ever had the impellers out of your pumps and reinstalled them backwards= very poor flow possibly.
Tlpegg001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know of an alternative false bottom?
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think a false bottom sort of like this would work. http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/False_Bottom_Spike_Brewing_20_Gallon.html

On another note, I would get rid of the 90 elbow on the outlet of your pumps. It does look like you really need it, and it is just cutting your flow down.
Tlpegg001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

I have good flow, so the elbows are of little consequence. As far as the false bottom, and after reviewing how to brew (Palmer) chapter, does the false bottom really make that much of a difference? Does the gap (space under the bottom) allow for more even wort flow through the grain bed? I have missed targets, but attribute that to my temperature issues.

Thoughts?
Gameface

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tlpegg001 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I have good flow, so the elbows are of little consequence. As far as the false bottom, and after reviewing how to brew (Palmer) chapter, does the false bottom really make that much of a difference? Does the gap (space under the bottom) allow for more even wort flow through the grain bed? I have missed targets, but attribute that to my temperature issues.

Thoughts?

I don't think there's a problem with your false bottom.

The concerns are side wall shunting (getting most of your flow on the outer edge of your MT) therefore reducing the contact between your strike/sparge water and grain. Or channeling, which causes the same loss in contact between your water and grain.

Then there's stuck or slow sparge/recirculation. You might have a small concern there, but I doubt it. A larger surface area would give the liquid more ways to get to your dip tube, but I really doubt you're lacking.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that all these comments about the false bottom only apply when you actually go to brew with grain. For these tests that only use water, how well (or not well) the false bottom would work with grain doesn't matter.

Kal

Tlpegg001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The concerns are side wall shunting (getting most of your flow on the outer edge of your MT) therefore reducing the contact between your strike/sparge water and grain. Or channeling, which causes the same loss in contact between your water and grain.

This is an actual concern for me, how can I tell? Efficiency?

So far I have not had any stuck sparge, my biggest headache to date is priming my lines to the pump.
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tlpegg001 wrote:
Quote:

This is an actual concern for me, how can I tell? Efficiency?

So far I have not had any stuck sparge, my biggest headache to date is priming my lines to the pump.

I used to have an issue with my wort pump from the MLT to the pump to the HLT coil but realized I needed to make sure the coil is blown out and nothing at all is in it. So if I do that while cleaning up from the previous batch and leave the coil valves open and it's nice and dry the next session. so I simply open up the valves and watch as the liquid flows to the pump and then turn on the pump. If it seems like it's going slow for some reason I turn off the pump and back on a couple times. I see though your pumping to the top of the coil first though. I pump to the bottom of the coil and the top one goes back the top of the grain bed.
Just like Kal shows in the step by step here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/brew-day-step-by-step?page=6

Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really perplexing. Everytime I think of something else that could be the problem, I think "no... that wouldn't matter" or "he's already ruled that out" or "that still doesn't explain why his temp isn't even equalizing in the HERMS coil"... frustrating!
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Flow rate ? Reply with quote

Have you checked your flow rate ? I ran a simple test on my (Kal Clone) system
and taking a one gallon sample of water, from the sparge tube it filled in 35 seconds.
Which is about right for a March 809 with a 4 foot head
It might rule out the pump and coil. Did you pull all your connections
to see if one of the O-rings turned on ya ?

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my two cents.
I pump the wort into the top of the HLT and out the bottom. The bottom will always be covered in hot water and therefore should be the hotest wort.
The thermal inefficiencies of the entire system shouldn't matter, the only heat transfer that matters is between the SS HE and the loss between the HLT and MLT. The heat transfer at the SS HE should be the same for everyone and the temperature loss in the silicone tubing should be nil.
The important temperatures are the temp at the bottom of the MLT (this should be the reading on the panel), the temp of the HLT (again panel) and the temp of the wort as it flows into the MLT.
Following Occam's Razor, the simplest solution often prevails; I suspect temperature probe calibration. Double check all of your temperature measurements. Make sure they all read the same temperature. Try switching the probe leads between the MLT and HLT to see if you get a change in reading (just to see the temperatures not for operation).

JMTC.

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: