Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

hello to all

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDD

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: hello to all Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
hi everyone, i'm Tom. I'm in Lehigh valley, PA, and i've been brewing on and off for about 20 years. up to now, i've been rigged "classically" (turkey fryer propane burner, various dubious pots, and a gatorade cooler mash tun when i switched to all grain). now, before my wife knew what she was agreeing to, i started setting up the basement with a Kal setup. i just received my control unit kit (mike and kal are the best i've ever worked with) and i've built my brew table.i think i have everything i need now (god only knows), but part of the deal with the wife was that i put up a drop ceiling in the basement, so my build is slowed downa bit for that.

i've posted a few questions on here, been lurking since december, gathering info and seeing what i'm getting myself into. i can't even begin to tell you how helpful and resourceful all the people on this site have been, and i look forward to communicating with you all as i go. who knows, i may even know something that can help somebody some day! dreams...

anyway, i'm a brewer and a civil war nerd, so happy to discourse any time

looking forward to continuing the journey.

Tom
Last Full Measure Brewery
Ben58

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the obsession! Mug
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Tom...
Hey, if you are ever in Fort Worth, TX, you have got to make time to go visit the Texas Civil War Museum. I was expecting a dinky little museum. I was wrong! It's a great collection.

http://www.texascivilwarmuseum.com/
View user's photo album (10 photos)
TomDD

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't been yet, but i've read a lot about it.

spending a week in gettysburg in august, and going to make a day trip from there to antietam. g'burg has a new museum opened a couple years ago too.
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Tom.

We're planning a summer move to the Charleston, SC area so I'm sure that area in addition to Fort Sumter is much more rich in Civil War sites than KS. I'm going to have to get used to hearing it called "the war between the states" as on trips to visit my wife's family in Atlanta I noticed they don't call it the Civil War.
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadie wrote:
Welcome to the forum Tom.

We're planning a summer move to the Charleston, SC area so I'm sure that area in addition to Fort Sumter is much more rich in Civil War sites than KS. I'm going to have to get used to hearing it called "the war between the states" as on trips to visit my wife's family in Atlanta I noticed they don't call it the Civil War.

I lived in Upstate SC for a while near Greenville. The good folks around Charleston are very proud of the fact that technically, South Carolina is still at war with the North. (SC never signed a peace treaty) I've hear lots of folks there call it "The War of Northern Aggression". HA!

That low country is beautiful though. Great seafood, sites, sounds and beaches. I think Holy City Brewing is there... or it's named something like that anyway. lol
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Tom and thanks again for your purchase!

Please feel free to post pictures of your progress and ask any questions you like. It hopefully won't be long now before you're brewing on the new setup!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
James Edmonton

Drinking: West Coast Dry Hopped IPA

Working on: Session Ale

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

I followed a similar path, although I built my own from scratch. I still have a collection of pots, hoping to upgrade my oldest one soon. Hopefully I will be able to stop replacing large appliances soon and be able to justify the new pot and coil!

James
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
I lived in Upstate SC for a while near Greenville. The good folks around Charleston are very proud of the fact that technically, South Carolina is still at war with the North. (SC never signed a peace treaty) I've hear lots of folks there call it "The War of Northern Aggression". HA!

That low country is beautiful though. Great seafood, sites, sounds and beaches. I think Holy City Brewing is there... or it's named something like that anyway. lol

My wife has family in Atlanta and any visit to Stone Mountain to catch the laser show and you'll catch on that they don't feel the war is over yet either.

We've only heard good things about the area and look forward to our first visit there - once we are under contract on this house. I Googled Holy City and that seems like a great place to check out.

The downside of low country is there are no basements so brewing will be relegated to a garage. Not what I really wanted which is why I went electric instead of propane but not many alternatives as we are downsizing house and lot from our place now in KS so probably no room for an outbuilding. An alternative I've been entertaining is opening a brew shop there similar to the one we have locally here in which not only can you buy your grain/hops/yeast/adjuncts/supplies but you can brew and bottle there too. They have 2 electric brewery setups for all grain and a boil kettle for extract. Really cool place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: