Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

FAQ: HERMS vs RIMS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Every setup is different too, so always good to test yourself - just to be sure!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually use the top in and bottom out and really nothing to do with mashing it’s all about the cooling for me, since I use the coils to cool and use ice in the middle I had it set the traditional way for years but my cooling suffered some near the end "and a rare thought came in my head" that heat rises, so since the wort is starting through the coils warm at the bottom it was melting the ice sooner so I reversed it and it works perfectly the warm wort starts on top and most of the heat stays there and keeps the bottom cold longer and that led to a design change in my no hose set up, I put a T valve on the bottom of the coils, it either goes back up to the mash or out to my carboy and so far it all works out perfectly

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree there are risks with RIMS, I believe the risks are low to very low. I would imagine they are about the same as an element in a kettle for scorching wort. I guess the precaution is good flow.

The cost over my batch sparge set up was simply to add the controller and RIMS tube, hose, and element. I use the pump, hoses, MLT, HLT/BK, etc I already had.

I use a full volume no sparge technique employing a 115 house circuit to run the 1600w RIMS element and my dryer circuit to run the 3500w induction cooktop (HLT/BK). I heat water, add minerals, underlet the liquor into the grain in the MLT, begin the recirculation, then start the RIMS. The temp probe is in the RIMS tube so it does not heat the wort past the set temp.

Clean up takes less than two minutes so it is negligible. Pop two clamps, dunk it in the cleaning bucket, run a brush thru it wipe it down, dunk the element in the cleaning bucket, wipe it of with a paper towel and basta. It really is very easy to wipe the spongy ‘stuff’ off the element as long as good flow was maintained.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: