Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

pliny

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeg

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: pliny Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anyone made a pliny the elder with Kals recipe lately?
How does it compare to the original?
Would you make any changes in ingredients or process?
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would do differently limit how much of it I shared. It's a great beer and this recipe, you won't be disappointed. Mug
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: pliny Reply with quote

joeg wrote:
How does it compare to the original?

While Vinny's changed the recipe slightly over the years, it's not like it's changed substantially in terms of taste/flavour. It's still a double IPA with massive fresh hop aroma of floral, citrus, and pine.

The one I list is close to the original. Because of the absolutely stupid amount of hops used, I imagine you could easily make some fairly significant changes to the balance between the hops (or possibly even sub some in our out) and not be able to tell the difference.

If you like pliny as sold today (or as it was sold years ago), I'm sure you'll like the recipe.

P.S. I'm assuming you're asking about Pliny the Elder and not Pliny the Younger. (Though most of what I wrote above holds true for both, Younger's simply not been around as long / hasn't undergone that many changes probably).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
joeg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I plan to make this in the next week or two.
The only thing I would like to change is a substitute for the high fructose corn sugar
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeg wrote:
The only thing I would like to change is a substitute for the high fructose corn sugar

What were you planning on using? Some simple sugars are often needed in high ABV beers such as this one in order to get them to attenuate enough. Regular table sugar works fine too and is often what I will use.

Kal

joeg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have organic cane sugar in stock. The only other alternative is the organic corn sugar from seven bridges, which is
pretty expensive when you include the shipping. They seem to be the only ones who sell it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go organic, organic cane sugar's available at just about any grocery store. Around here even Costco has it.

Kal

joeg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'm going for it. Let you know in about 4 weeks how it turns out
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! Let us know how it turns out. I haven't brewed this one in ~2 years so I'm due myself.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: