Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

hop stopper - the achilles heal of the electric brewery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I do the same

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike0416 wrote:
Hi All,

I know this is an older thread but I feel everyone's pain on this issue. I've been through only 2 brews with the EB, which has been really great aside from a few minor tweaks (read: operator error - lol) that Kal has helped me out with. However, I'm consistently frustrated with the hop stopper and the chilling process due to it. I appreciate Dennis' post, but I feel that even if I get this working correctly, the time and sensitivity it takes is way too touchy for me personally. I like futzing around with the parts of the brewery I want to futz with -- draining the BK into the CFC and into the fermentor is not one of them. Plus, I don't want the wort flow to come to a crawl when draining. Today my wort came out too cold due to this and I had to warm it up before I pitched, plus I lost about a gallon or wort all of the above due to losing suction.

Applying the "keep it simple stupid" philosophy, I'm thinking of going few different ways with this:

1. Use a hop spider like this and remove the hop stopper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9FBFS5/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=916916d56e701844481c7dfb218f7b08 . This is definitely the cheapest and simple solution.
2. Try @zeppman 's solution above by just whirlpooling with my paddle, remove the hopstopper, and hope for the least amount of trub. See if I like how this turns out.
3. Or, just buy the Blichmann whirlpool kit (why does no one want to put another hole in their kettle? - we all already have the punch! It will probably take ten minutes to install) along with the hop blocker that goes on the original Blichmann dip tube for an extra layer of protection. See how that works out.

If anyone has any further suggestions that don't involve having to buy an inline filter to attach to my pump along with a bleeder valve and a tri-clamp (and I thought I was a brew nerd!) I'm all ears. Appreciate it!

What mesh size is yours? I have used my 28x28 mesh(600micron) for 6 years and never has a problem. I think people who use 300 micron will. There is no need for finer, the break +hop creates a filter.

With large flameout, I use a spider also. I just had arbor fab make me a 500 micron 10.5 x 15 filter to allow more wort contact.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What mesh size is yours? I have used my 28x28 mesh(600micron) for 6 years and never has a problem. I think people who use 300 micron will. There is no need for finer, the break +hop creates a filter.

Not sure. Are there different 'models'?
ghandlin

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to add the Blichmann whirlpool to mine. I'll post how it turns out.
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do @ghandlin! I already have some extra Blichmann G2 linear valves since I replaced them with the 3-piece ball valves on my G2 kettles. Might just just use one of those along with the hardware that Kal used on the water input valve during the HLT build and just angle the stainless tube 90 degrees instead of 45. Let me know it goes.
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issues with the hop stopper. All you need to do is slow down to a trickle when the water hits the top of it.

If your wort is too cold in the fermenter then adjust your cooling water and measure the temp in the fermenter to keep it right. Turn the cooling water off if its getting too cool.

Rivet
ihomebrewsolutions

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone still watching this thread, the Hop Stopper 2.0 has been introduced by Innovative Homebrew Solutions. It is completely redesigned to address many of the issues mentioned here and the issue of recirculation. I welcome all questions and comments.

Dennis Collins
Innovative Homebrew Solutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: