Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Harvesting yeast from a conical

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Harvesting yeast from a conical Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Howdy. I've got my first batch of beer (from the new setup) in my homemade temp controlled conical. I'm at the point where it's time to cold crash it. Should I harvest most of the yeast now and then crash it followed by hitting it with gelatin or should I simply cold crash it, wait a few days to harvest the yeast and then add gelatin? I realize I'm probably over thinking things but just curious what experience others have had. Thanks.
hopster54

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I harvest the yeast then crash the beer with gellaten -crash the yeast with a little beer left on top and refridgerate.
Funkalizer

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is a brilliant way to harvest yeast which I urge you to consider before your next batch:
http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkalizer wrote:
The following is a brilliant way to harvest yeast which I urge you to consider before your next batch:
http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/

Nice blog Funkalizer. I actually did 2 x 1000ml starters and then a 2000ml starter (all with a stir plate and foam stopper) and grew a bunch of yeast for the Alt that's currently residing in my fermenter. I kind of bastardized the yeast washing process by boiling distilled water and adding some to my mason jars and then letting them cool with lids attached. Once cooled I dumped some more trub from the fermenter and then dumped what I thought was yeast into each of my mason jars, capped, swirled and then put in the fridge. I'll probably wash them again later.
kwdriver

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopster54 wrote:
I harvest the yeast then crash the beer with gellaten -crash the yeast with a little beer left on top and refridgerate.

Thanks hopster. That's exactly what I ended up doing. Cold crashing 10 degrees per day until I get it close to freezing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: