Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

power outage on brewday

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkedbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: power outage on brewday Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi I was wondering how power outages would affect the 50A 240V control panel and also if anyone has a back up power source for though instances when the power goes out during a brewday?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: power outage on brewday Reply with quote

inkedbrewer wrote:
Hi I was wondering how power outages would affect the 50A 240V control panel

It would stop working. Wink

Quote:
and also if anyone has a back up power source for though instances when the power goes out during a brewday?

Nope. That would be be pretty expensive (12000W generator with reasonably clean power).

If power went out for an extended duration, depending when it happened in the process and for how long, I'd probably just continue where I left off.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I never lost power while brewing, I have a whole house backup generator that I had installed before I went with the Electric brewery. I lost power while out of town on business and the wife was pissed because she didn't know what to do. The very next week I went ahead a had it done. We had our new born grand daughter and her mother stay with us when they came home from the hospital that following December and we lost power for 10 hours due to and ice storm. We were lucky to have the generator automatically switch over within 15 seconds and never missed a beat.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how far I could get with my 5500w generator (8k peak). It runs the AC in the house with a lot of other things, and can run the hot water heater with nothing else on. I know the math, but as long as the peak load doesn't spike it should work for one element.

I will try it soon and see what happens. Not that I want to have an entire brew session with the generator making noise! Smile

http://www.thebeerjournals.com/
Dean Palmer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to run the brewery with a single 5500w/240v element going, and a pump. This was using a Troy-Bilt 5550 generator with 8550 starting watts. I kicked in a second element and it ran for a few minutes but then blew the breaker on the generator. That said, it is possible to run one of our setups on a rather cheap generator if needed. I'm going to use this new found capability for brew day demonstrations at the LHBS.

wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same generator. Nice to know I could use it to finish a batch if I had to. I'll need to work on an adapter plug for my current setup.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wscottcross wrote:
I have the same generator. Nice to know I could use it to finish a batch if I had to. I'll need to work on an adapter plug for my current setup.

I found it cheaper to order an adapter from Home Depot online than buying the separate parts, and it is completely sealed/rubberized.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: