Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Keg replacement o-rings

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Keg replacement o-rings Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
When purchasing used kegs, it's recommended that all 5 of the o-rings be replaced. This is especially true if the kegs previously held root beer as that flavour permeates the o-rings and is impossible to remove.

Many home brew shops will sell you a pack with all 5 ready to go, but below is how you can do it yourself and save money. O-rings can tear or become damaged over time so purchasing extras is always wise. I purchase the smaller dip tube and post ones in packs of 100 and the larger keg lid o-rings in packs of 5:

That said, I use and recommend using red silicone o-rings instead of the black nitrile rubber (Buna N) o-rings that manufacturers normally use as silicone stays softer at lower temperatures so there's less chance of leaks. These are available here:

These work on all kegs, ball lock or pin lock.

If you're just looking for the 5 pack, they're available here (these are mostly Buna N however):

Adventures in Homebrewing
MoreBeer
OntarioBeerKegs

(Purchasing through our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you! )

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:29 pm; edited 15 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
luke_l

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Keg replacement o-rings Reply with quote

kal wrote:

While this is what everyone always seems to say, the two kegs of beer I have vacuumed out of my keezer beg to differ. Pin lock kegs *mostly* work with the ball lock o-rings, until you do something in the fridge and bump the line and don't remember to check it for a few days. I have all pin lock kegs since I got a good deal on them, and until I finally found the right o-rings, getting the liquid side to seal without a tiny leak (a drip every 15-20 seconds or so) took the proper planetary alignment, holding your breath and tiptoeing away, as well as copious amounts of keg lube. I bought some from OBK that work properly, and have kept me happy...
Ontario Beer Kegs Pin Lock O-Rings

Not sure if its just my pin locks or not, but I have been meaning to figure out what the difference in the o-rings is (the new ones I have now definitely are a tighter fit) and order a bunch off of amazon.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the others that you were using on the pin lock also silicone? (They're purposely tight). Or were they rubber, meant for ball lock?

Kal

luke_l

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both silicone and rubber ones. I'm not sure if there is actually a difference or not, as I have never had a ball lock keg, but I see some places sell "universal" ones and some places sell different ones for the two types of kegs. That and the fact that I have lost 2 batches of beer Sad means that I now only use the ones that I know work. (It could however just be like a lucky penny, and the fact that I haven't lost a batch since I switched is just coincidence...).

It's on my list of things to research that I never get around to. A buddy of mine down the road has ball locks and just replaced all his posts and o-rings, so maybe I will wander over, drink some of his beer, and compare o-rings.
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Keg replacement o-rings Reply with quote

kal wrote:
When purchasing used kegs, it's recommended that all 5 of the o-rings be replaced. This is especially true if the kegs previously held root beer as that flavour permeates the o-rings and is impossible to remove.

I recommend using red silicone o-rings instead of the black nitrile rubber (Buna N) o-rings that manufacturers normally use as silicone stays softer at lower temperatures so there's less chance of leaks.

Many home brew shops will sell you a pack with all 5 ready to go, but here's how you can do it yourself and save money. O-rings can tear or become damaged over time so purchasing extras is always wise. I purchase the smaller dip tube and post ones in packs of 100 and the larger keg lid o-rings in packs of 5:

Dip tube o-ring (2 required per keg)
Post o-ring (2 required per keg)
Lid o-ring (1 required per keg)

(Purchasing through our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you! )

Kal

Thanks Kal, just ordered a pack of 100 each for my keg posts, and dip tubes. Thanks for posting, I used your links!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John - it's appreciated!

I have 100 packs for the keg posts and dip tubes as well. I don't have to replace them often so that's likely a lifetime supply.

Kal

Diveralan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
Do you ever replace the o-ring on the pressure relief valve? I have had a couple valves that leaked and had to replace the valve but If I can find the correct o-ring it would most likely take care of the problem.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never replaced them. Most of mine do not have an o-ring that's replaceable - they look like this:

Though there are some that may be replaceable that look like this:

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal, i use the same 'old ale' kegs from adventures in homebrewing that you use. have you ever replaced the o-ring on the poppet valves? any idea on the size? after some $0.10 research, looks like the below will work?

https://www.amazon.com/008-Silicone-O-Ring-Durometer-Width/dp/B000FN0X2M/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=ab88bffa0e9524054c4b8afc91a7bfee
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotrequired wrote:
kal, i use the same 'old ale' kegs from adventures in homebrewing that you use. have you ever replaced the o-ring on the poppet valves?

I have not. I don't know if the o-ring you linked to will work - sorry!

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently found out that not all Keg lid o-rings are the same. I had some problems with relatively new keg lids leaking - tried to replace the black o-rings with one's I got at my local brew supply store. But they were the same type and I still had leaks. I thought is was a problem with the lid itself. It wasn't until the other day when I visited a keg restoration facility in Cincy that I learned there are different o-ring materials available for kegs. They gave me softer black o-rings. I put them on and no-more leaks. So even with new kegs, there could be issues depending on the o-ring material used.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjo2125 wrote:
I recently found out that not all Keg lid o-rings are the same. I had some problems with relatively new keg lids leaking - tried to replace the black o-rings with one's I got at my local brew supply store. But they were the same type and I still had leaks. I thought is was a problem with the lid itself. It wasn't until the other day when I visited a keg restoration facility in Cincy that I learned there are different o-ring materials available for kegs. They gave me softer black o-rings. I put them on and no-more leaks. So even with new kegs, there could be issues depending on the o-ring material used.

Agreed - that's why the links to Amazon above are for the softer silicone ones, not the harder Buna N ones. (See my original post above). Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: