Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

where to find hops?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlemyre

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: where to find hops? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Am I the only one here who's having a hard time finding hops?

Each time I want to brew a new recipe, the hops needed are b.o...

I mostly buy from OBK since I'm from Canada...

I was looking to brew the Electric Pale Ale but I can't find Amarillo and Citra hops...

Any idea?
luke_l

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like buying from OBK, but he runs out of ingredients quite a lot. I always have sacks of base grain, and then buy my specialty grains and hops as I need them (usually for 3-4 batches at a time to save shipping costs) and find that OBK is missing what I need about half the time. I buy stuff from Brewers Pantry in Whitby ON quite often, his prices are slightly higher, but he tends to have stuff in stock better.

I just picked up a new freezer, so I will start buying hops in bulk I think.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely buy in bulk (that's what I do). You can see here for how I store them: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=11

OBK recently added hops by the pound: http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Hops_by_the_Pound_for_Homebrew_Online_Supplies_Canada_s/81.htm?Click=3715

No issues with keeping hops for years this way.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dlemyre

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, OBK doesn't have all the ingredients I want to order most of the time...but they are really good for brewery parts.

I do the same as you, I buy my 55 pounds malt locally and specialty grains/hops/yeast from OBK.

But I might be looking to buy hops in bulk instead, I thought hops wouldn't last for more than a year in a freezer.

thanks for the help!
dlemyre

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally I got what I needed from the Brewers Pantry... they aren't cheap but at least they had them in stock.

I will eventually buy in bulk to save money!
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion on a variety of hops to keep on stock. There are over a hundred different hop varieties and that is way too many to even consider. I am looking at maybe 10 different varieties to buy in bulk, about 1.0 lb of each. Even at 5 oz per 10 gallons that's a couple of years supply at a pretty aggressive brewing rate.

Need a few bitter variety (say 4) and the rest flavor and aroma.

So what are your favorite hops?

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the frequently used ones are Amarillo, Apollo, Cascade, Citra, Centennial, Columbus, and Simcoe.

Also, I purchased a 100g can of hop shots for bittering, so most of the pellet and whole leaf hops I use with be late addition aroma hops. Hop shots end up being less than a $1.00 each this way.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_H wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion on a variety of hops to keep on stock. There are over a hundred different hop varieties and that is way too many to even consider. I am looking at maybe 10 different varieties to buy in bulk, about 1.0 lb of each. Even at 5 oz per 10 gallons that's a couple of years supply at a pretty aggressive brewing rate.

Need a few bitter variety (say 4) and the rest flavor and aroma.

So what are your favorite hops?

What's someone's favourite hops shouldn't influence what you should keep in stock any more than what someone's favourite beer should influence what you drink.

Everyone likes different tastes and styles. For example, wscottcross mentioned his favourites and they're all American style hops for very citrusy/fruity/pungent/piney. The styles used in American IPAs, Pale Ales, and so forth. I love these hops too, but if you're the type of person that prefers English style beers, or Belgians or something else, you'd like different hops. None of those hops would work.

I recommend you look at recipes for beers you want to brew and choose your hops that way. Same goes with grain.

Take a look at the recipes here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/recipes

Pick out some you like and see what hops they use. Those are the hops you should consider.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that everyone is different. I was just looking for examples and suggestions. I went through the recipes in this section and came up with a list of 12 hops. I am also filtering through a large list of hops looking for similarities and substitutions. I tend to adjust my recipes to match what I have on hand and so far I only had one batch that was marginal, but I drank it anyway. Smile And I haven't had anyone complain about my beer, but I think their opinions are greatly influence by the cost of that beer.... free!

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: