Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

will this water profile work

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: will this water profile work Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
will this water profile work for an IPA
concerned about the -279 RA

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 27
Mg: 10
Na: 6
Cl: 13
SO4: 15
CaCO3: 88

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 7 / 13
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 22.1

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 8 / 14.85714286
CaCl2: 2 / 3.714285714
MgSO4: 2.3 / 4.271428571
NaHCO3: 1 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 6.6
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 116 / 116
Mg: 18 / 18
Na: 16 / 10
Cl: 49 / 49
SO4: 217 / 217
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.23 / 0.23

Alkalinity (CaCO3): -182
RA: -275
Estimated pH: 5.40
(room temp)
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's way too much lactic acid. You only want to use 0.1 or 0.2 ml per gallon of water. So in the mash, if you need to add it, you'd want to stick around 0.7 to 1.4 ml of it.

If you change that, your RA level should drop to around 0 which is much more ideal for this type of style.

Cheers!
joeg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tungsten
that does bring my Ra way down but also raises my ph to 5.65
I've been trying to use my well water without any RO or boiling
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple notes, and then my recommendation on what I would do for an IPA (your water profile is pretty similar to mine):

1. I find that "mash pH" calculators tend to fluctuate wildly depending on the parameters used. My personal favorite is the calculator at BrewersFriend. But, when you enter in your grist info, you can select different options and the pH will work out up to 0.2 differently for the same recipe.

2. I think you know this, but the 5.65 pH that your calculator is telling you (I got 5.60, close enough) is at room temperature (which is considered 77* F). At mash temp that would read about 0.2 lower. In my opinion, 5.6 at room temp is right in your wheelhouse for an IPA, but some prefer to go lower.

What I would do: bump up gypsum to 10g, and calcium chloride to 3g. Add the 1.4ml of lactic acid to the mash, let it mix, and after you take a measurement, add 0.1 or 0.2 ml at a time until you hit the pH you want. But you don't need to overdo it. Mash pH is pretty forgiving when it comes to conversion. You just might not see 5.4 at room temp.

If you are really insistent on seeing the 5.3 or 5.4 at room temp, you'll probably have to cut your well water with distilled. But I know you said you didn't want to do that.
joeg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your input
That is the best advice I have gotten.
On a side note. My son who has a PHD in organic chemistry, suggested using CO2 to cut the alkalinity.
But didn't offer any type of process. In searching the internet for days I came upon 1 article that suggested that some German Brewers use CO2 to stay within the Reinheitsgebot purity law but that's it.
I will try your suggestions next brew day
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck - let me know how it goes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: