Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

My oxygen setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: My oxygen setup Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Got the bit I was finally waiting for from Morebeer.com - a 1.5" triclamp sight glass. I've now got all the parts I need for my oxygen setup. Main parts before assembly are shown below:

I am going to fix the assembly onto my existing wort CFC. The present outlet and temperature dial is held on with a cone hex union, so I can easily replace it with any other outlet assembly. Before and after as below:

I've used the existing CFC caddy as the support for the disposable oxygen cylinder and the flow control valve. Cable ties hold them to the caddy legs. In the oxygen supply tube I have fitted a one-way valve to stop any wort flowing back into the regulator. PTFE tape has been used on all the joints, except for the stainless steel oxygen stone and the new temperature dial. I have fitted these into their respective tees with stainless steel dowty food-grade washers, so that I can readily disassemble these two parts for cleaning and sterilisation. I've tested for leaks and all is well, but I've not tested it in a live brewing situation yet. I will be brewing at the end of the month - an imperial IPA - so will post again on how it performed.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered doing something similar... I changed my mind though with the prospect of all those threaded fittings on the cold side. Do you plan to disassemble them and sterilize after each use?
View user's photo album (10 photos)
chastuck

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
I had considered doing something similar... I changed my mind though with the prospect of all those threaded fittings on the cold side. Do you plan to disassemble them and sterilize after each use?

Short answer is no. The triclamps, airstone and dial thermometer will be unscrewed for sterilising these components as they are not screwed in with PTFE tape, but nothing else. Once these are off, and the rubber washer and dial removed from the cold water inlet, all the CFC and remaining connected parts can be removed from the caddy and put into an oven for baking if required. I have never understood the concern for threaded fittings on the cold side. After all, where the cold wort goes the sterilising liquid can go as well. Even if there are traces of solid matter in the threads, this would be sterilised. I generally flush through everything with hot water, followed by Starsan or Videne, after using. After 45 years of home brewing I have never had a spoilt beer due to any contaminate being in the threads of fittings.

Last edited by chastuck on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
ParadiseBrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks sweet! can you show a pic of the output of the water side? where did you get that inline temp prob, it just what i am looking to add to my cfc.
Thanks
chastuck

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParadiseBrew wrote:
looks sweet! can you show a pic of the output of the water side? where did you get that inline temp prob, it just what i am looking to add to my cfc.
Thanks

The output of the water side is clearly shown in the CFC photo - it's the brass outlet at the top with the push-on hose fitting. As for the temp probe, it's a 2.5 inch dial thermometer, 6cm stem length, 1/4" bsp fitting. I added a couple of stainless steel bolts on the back to make sure that the long probe length was able to clear the depth of the tee.
Creepy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a proper setup! Excited to hear how it performs.
Cheers!
Scott
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!! 45 years of home brewing experience, WOW. Sounds like you been brewing longer then most people on this forum have been alive. With that much experience, whats the best beer you ever brewed? Why the sight glass? Thanks for sharing, Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
Looks great!! 45 years of home brewing experience, WOW. Sounds like you been brewing longer then most people on this forum have been alive. With that much experience, whats the best beer you ever brewed? Why the sight glass? Thanks for sharing, Castermmt

I guess the best beer I ever brewed was a Timothy Taylor clone, but to be honest I've not yet brewed one I didn't like! My tastes have changed somewhat over the years and I now prefer heavily hopped styles. One thing that has changed for the better is the high quality ingredients available now to home brewers. When I first started it was only the goods that farmers/stores didn't want that you could get.

The sight gauge is a clover clamp with a one inch inside flow for placement inline during transfer of wort from kettle to fermenter. In my system I will use it to monitor flow and to see how the inline oxygenator is working. Not strictly necessary I know, but just gives that extra piece of mind when you can see the bubbles! Plus - it's shiny!
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about you liked all the beers you brewed. I tell people it's like having Children, you have to love them all. Shiny is nice LOL
Stay Safe, Castermmt Shocked

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Modifications to my oxygen set up Reply with quote

In the light of first use of my oxygen set up, I have modified it to improve performance. The main revision is changing the position of the dial thermometer. Originally I had it placed after the oxygen stone, but what I found was that it was giving a false reading of the wort temperature as it was exiting the counterflow chiller. I think this was because the oxygen bubbles in the flowing wort were preventing a good surface contact with the probe of the thermometer. After I used it the first time I found the pitching temperature in the fermenter was 28 deg C instead of about 20 deg C, in spite of the dial thermometer showing 18 deg C. I also found the pieces were quite heavy once put together, so I have fitted a Hilti 1.25 inch pipe support bracket on a 30mm M10 bolt to support its horizontal length. The second equal tee is not needed in the new arrangement. The use of a type A and a type B camlock completed the changes. I think the modified oxygenator is much better since it has enabled me to use the original output arrangement, which had a more accurate dial thermometer. The photos below show the modifications.

inkedbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: parts Reply with quote

still building my system and i may want to eventually build something like this. do you have a list of all the necessary parts..and where you got them from?

cheers Matt

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: parts Reply with quote

inkedbrewer wrote:
still building my system and i may want to eventually build something like this. do you have a list of all the necessary parts..and where you got them from?

cheers Matt

Sorry I don't have a list. But this photo might help.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you find it difficult to control the flow of O2 to get it low enough?

I picked up an O2 regulator and stone recently to try to see if it made a difference on really high gravity beers. Like this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMOP9YK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00QMOP9YK&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=52FN4AWK6EJUGDZI

All you need is to get somewhat low flow (not too many bubbles coming to the surface) for about 90 seconds into the bottom of ~5-6 gallons of wort to properly oxygenate. Stone at the bottom and it bubbles up. If it bubbles like crazy at the surface you're just wasting O2.

Chilling takes much longer than 90 seconds so I would think you'd be over oxygenating / using up almost a full canister per batch no? Then flow rate of O2 has to be tied to the wort flow rate too so there's more dials to turn at the same time?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chastuck

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Do you find it difficult to control the flow of O2 to get it low enough?

I picked up an O2 regulator and stone recently to try to see if it made a difference on really high gravity beers. Like this one here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMOP9YK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00QMOP9YK&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=52FN4AWK6EJUGDZI

All you need is to get somewhat low flow (not too many bubbles coming to the surface) for about 90 seconds into the bottom of ~5-6 gallons of wort to properly oxygenate. Stone at the bottom and it bubbles up. If it bubbles like crazy at the surface you're just wasting O2.

Chilling takes much longer than 90 seconds so I would think you'd be over oxygenating / using up almost a full canister per batch no? Then flow rate of O2 has to be tied to the wort flow rate too so there's more dials to turn at the same time?

Kal

It's quite easy to control how much oxygen goes into a batch. I use a gas flow meter (shown to the right of theCFC in the above pictures) to control the L/min flow rate and simply time how long I allow the regulator to be open. I devised a spread sheet using milligrams and mole equivalents per batch size to work out the timing (see attached). I also use a DOM to measure the final oxygen content in the wort before adding the yeast.

OxygenWortFlow.xlsx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  OxygenWortFlow.xlsx
 Filesize:  15.58 KB
 Downloaded:  686 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chastuck wrote:
It's quite easy to control how much oxygen goes into a batch. I use a gas flow meter (shown to the right of theCFC in the above pictures) to control the L/min flow rate and simply time how long I allow the regulator to be open.

Cool! Sorry - completely missed that in the picture. Where'd you get this flow control valve? How about the dissolved oxygen meter? Just curious.

Kal

chastuck

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
chastuck wrote:
It's quite easy to control how much oxygen goes into a batch. I use a gas flow meter (shown to the right of theCFC in the above pictures) to control the L/min flow rate and simply time how long I allow the regulator to be open.

Cool! Sorry - completely missed that in the picture. Where'd you get this flow control valve? How about the dissolved oxygen meter? Just curious.

Kal

I bought the flow meter from ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-LZQ-2-0-5LPM-Oxygen-flow-meter-control-valve-Oxygen-conectrator-DS-UKU-/131590444166?hash=item1ea366d486:g:gooAAOSwIBBUZCjQ&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&siteid=3&campid=5336652980&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

The DOM was purchased from Testsafe: http://www.tester.co.uk/extech-do600-waterproof-ii-dissolved-oxygen-meter
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The flow meter's certainly inexpensive and gives you a fine adjustment with visible flow rate. Had to be installed vertically on a solid structure for it to work right of course.

A 0-3 litres per minute (LPM) one may give you slightly finer control over a 0-5 LPM:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=0-3LPM%20oxygen%20flow%20meter&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A0-3LPM%20oxygen%20flow%20meter&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&url=search-alias%3Daps&linkId=IU75QJN2AM2GOPSA

Dissolved Oxygen Meters (DOMs) are expensive, but worth it if you want to really be sure how much O2 is in there. Found it on Amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WN6AO6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004WN6AO6&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=S6L3MIU5ZJJTEWAW

Things to consider... Thanks!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An even better 0.1 to 1.5 LPM oxygen flow meter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PCXTYMK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00PCXTYMK&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=UPOIDO7R2QE5MLNN

Will give you finer control.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chastuck wrote:
I devised a spread sheet using milligrams and mole equivalents per batch size to work out the timing (see attached). I also use a DOM to measure the final oxygen content in the wort before adding the yeast.

Hey chastuck - when you measure with the DOM, are you seeing the ppm of O2 you expect?

Reason I ask is that unless I'm reading your spreadsheet incorrectly, your it doesn't give similar numbers as to what I'm reading around the 'net and also in the book Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation.

For example, assuming a 5 gallon (19 L) batch of 1.050 ale that I want to get to 10ppm (a generally accepted ppm value for such a beer), your spreadsheet tells me I'd have to flow pure O2 at a rate of 1 L/min for 8 seconds.

But the Yeast book (page 79) indicates 60 seconds at 1 K/min to get to 9.2 ppm (close to 10).

60 seconds at 1 L/min is also in line with what I've been reading on the 'net.

Am I not reading your spreadsheet correctly?

Thanks!

P.S. Your target numbers at the bottom of your spreadsheet are in line with everything else I've read, which is:

Medium strength worts (e.g. 1.035 – 1.060): 8-12ppm
Lager yeast strains: 10-14ppm
Strong worts (1.060 and above): 12ppm +

Kal

chastuck

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
chastuck wrote:
I devised a spread sheet using milligrams and mole equivalents per batch size to work out the timing (see attached). I also use a DOM to measure the final oxygen content in the wort before adding the yeast.

Hey chastuck - when you measure with the DOM, are you seeing the ppm of O2 you expect?

Reason I ask is that unless I'm reading your spreadsheet incorrectly, your it doesn't give similar numbers as to what I'm reading around the 'net and also in the book Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation.

For example, assuming a 5 gallon (19 L) batch of 1.050 ale that I want to get to 10ppm (a generally accepted ppm value for such a beer), your spreadsheet tells me I'd have to flow pure O2 at a rate of 1 L/min for 8 seconds.

But the Yeast book (page 79) indicates 60 seconds at 1 K/min to get to 9.2 ppm (close to 10).

60 seconds at 1 L/min is also in line with what I've been reading on the 'net.

Am I not reading your spreadsheet correctly?

Thanks!

P.S. Your target numbers at the bottom of your spreadsheet are in line with everything else I've read, which is:

Medium strength worts (e.g. 1.035 – 1.060): 8-12ppm
Lager yeast strains: 10-14ppm
Strong worts (1.060 and above): 12ppm +

Kal

How are you forcing the oxygen into the wort? My spreadsheet is based on theoretical total absorption rates, that is, it assumes all the oxygen is absorbed for the flow duration. The way I feed-in the oxygen in a closed glass tube, rather than in the open fermenter, normally gets near the theoretical level. I always measure the wort in the fermenter afterwards with the DOM as I have found that the oxygen readily escapes from solution as the wort enters the fermenter - even though I use a tube submerged in the wort as it flows in. In practice, I normally double up the flow time just to make sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: