Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

KEG DEALS (new and used)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: KEG DEALS (new and used) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

AiH is back with a new batch of brand new ball lock kegs on sale for $75! Normal price is $119.99.

Link: https://homebrewing.org/products/aih-new-5-gallon-corny-keg-ball-lock?sca_ref=1849110.tHliYN90EV

This is a great price as this is not far from the going price on *used* kegs.

Other sizes and used available too: https://homebrewing.org/collections/home-brew-kegs?sca_ref=1849110.tHliYN90EV

This is the style I prefer myself (ball lock, manual pressure relief, and thick double rubber handles for easier lifting). Ball lock kegs are narrower than pin lock so that you can fit more in a keezer or fridge. Ball lock kegs also come with a manual pull tab for pressure relief making it quick and easy to burp a keg to get rid of atmosphere after filling (pin lock requires you to disconnect the gas line, burp using the gas-in post, reconnect, repeat 2-3 times. It's more work). The double rubber handles make lifting easy. More on our draft setup here and here.

The fact that they're not covered in soda stickers like used kegs, and that you do not have to replace the o-rings is an added bonus. (O-rings on used soda kegs are often damaged and should be replaced. This is especially true if the kegs previously held root beer as that flavour permeates the o-rings and is impossible to remove. The o-rings must be replaced. Details and part numbers here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27786)

So how many to buy? While it depends, my recommendation is to have twice as many as the number of taps you have. I have 8 taps and 17 kegs. 8 can be on tap in the keezer, 6 in my conditioning and carbonating fridge waiting to go on tap, and then 3 more spares/waiting for new beers/long term aging (i.e.: Russian Imperial Stout, Barleywine, etc.). You can never have too many!

Supply is limited so pick them up ASAP! Worldwide shipping is available.

Note: Using our links helps support our site at no additional cost to you - we thank you!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:27 pm; edited 11 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for replacement o-rings for your kegs? See here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27786

Kal

Tyl012

Drinking: Pale Ale, brown porter, white whea, Irish red

Working on: Blonde, Pliny The Elder clone,

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, do you use barbed or MFL disconnects?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combination of both. I believe the first batch I bought were MFL to which I added barbs (as that's all they had at the place I bought from back when I first got into kegging). As I bought more over the years I just bought all barbed. No difference/advantage for me.

Kal

foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my disconnects are barbed. Going this route should be cheaper as the disconnect is the same price as the flare fitting disconnect and you don't need the additional swivel nut and flare fitting (at least at MoreBeer). On the other hand, I have a few flare fitting gas disconnects which are handy when I take a keg to a party, because I have pin-lock and most of my friends have ball-lock kegs. With the flare fitting I can hook my pin-lock kegs to their gas manifolds which have gas lines terminated with flare fittings.

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyl012 wrote:
Kal, do you use barbed or MFL disconnects?

I started with barbed fittings but have since switched over to MFL disconnects for all of my lines. For the beer lines in particular I find it convenient for cleaning. Note I also have the disconnect tailpiece fittings on all of my faucet shanks.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Tyl012

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info! Thanks for the replies everyone!
Mdunlop4428

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I received from them!

Dissapointed doesn't even come close to describe the adjectives floowing through my head right now. 3 of 4 are like this!
My used ones purchsed off craigs list are better than this crap.
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you believe it was just poor packaging or is the manufacturing inferior to what you already own?
Tyl012

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased 10 of these so far. Not a one has been damaged. These are good quality kegs. The ones pictured here looks to be damaged from the shipping company, which is at no fault of the shipper.
Mdunlop4428

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no damage to te exterior of the boxes. They were well taped and packaged with quality cardboard. The size of the dents indicate to me the boxes would show some type of damage if that were the case.

I suspect these are dropped shipped from the manufacture.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunate. I'm confident that AiH doesn't ship completely dented kegs on purpose nor do they purchase dented kegs and try to sell them as new/perfect. What you're seeing is not normal.

Contact them. They'll likely be as surprised as you were. I'm sure they'll make this right.

EDIT: I contacted Jim at AiH and they tell me you've already been in contact and will be replacing these kegs, no questions asked... let us know how it works out.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed May 06, 2015 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from the supplier that the kegs are going to be replaced. Their words: "...we will replace them with no questions asked. We have taken pictures of the replacements and hope there will not be any issues with his new kegs."

They do not understand how this could have happened as they say they have to take the kegs out of the box to put the posts on, and that they inspect every keg before it goes out for small dents, so something this large would not get by them.

@Mdunlop4428: Do you have pictures of the boxes they came in? Maybe they got smashed but the dents in the boxes were not easy to see? Everyone's confused about this one, but the important thing is that they're being replaced. Sorry for the troubles.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - pre-orders for another batch of new ball-lock kegs is now up - pay $75 instead of $119.99:

Link: https://homebrewing.org/products/aih-new-5-gallon-corny-keg-ball-lock?sca_ref=1849110.tHliYN90EV

These tend to sell out fast.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AiH is having a "Christmas in July" sale and is featuring these new kegs at an even lower price of $69! (Regular price is $119.99). These are the style I prefer and use myself. For complete details why, see the first post above.

The sale is on today and tomorrow only (July 20/21).

Purchasing through our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New $119.99 kegs are back on sale for $75 for a limited time! These always sell out fast.

These are the style I prefer and use myself. For complete details why, see the first post above.

Purchasing through our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$75 kegs are back again:

These tend to sell out fast.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
iBrewBeer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this last time... They came in great shape.

In fact, I bought the Blichmanns from AIH and the majority of the stuff I needed for my brewery from AIH as well - great customer service.

This time I need 2.5 gal for parties and the such

The cost conscious in me says hey, the extra 2.5gal is the same price get that, but then the realist in me says do you remember what you came here for.

Decisions.
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed these 2.5gal kegs over at MoreBeer.
http://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-kegs.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also make regulators that attach to paintball CO2 tanks. I find it cheaper in long run to refill those instead of buying the mini CO2 cartridges for portable keg setups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: