Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

DC "dimmer" help

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berzai@sbcglobal.net

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: DC "dimmer" help Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I needed a way to control voltage to a load and wanted to know if anyone could recommend potentiometer. Basically I'm going to anodize a piece of titanium with a 9V chain of batteries, and, if possible, would like to be able to dial to voltage to the work piece ranging from 9v to 50 or 60v. I'm looking a getting the workpiece a dark blue, I know the voltage range of doing that is somewhere between 35 to 45. I could just hookup 3 batteries (27v) see what happens, then add another (36v), and maybe another. But I have a feeling the ideal blue (darkest I can get) is somewhere between the 36v and 45v range.

I'm just looking for an amazon link for a product I could tie in to control voltage. I read diodes could help, but a dimmer would be ideal. Hopefully under 20 bucks? Thanks for the time.

**edit - math
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

27 volts is pretty close to ideal, but 3 brand new 9v batteries will probably be a little higher than that.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that image is extremely helpful... Thanks!

Yeah, 27v does look ideal. I just didn't want any of the purples in there, so actually higher would be better. Thanks for the response. I'm not sure the amp draw on the batteries when this is going on, so really, just not exactly sure what tolerances or range the potentiometer would need.
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly I know nothing about the anodization process, but if the fluid bath draws any appreciable amount of current it's unlikely a potentiometer will provide the voltage regulation you're looking for. A resistor voltage divider works well for providing reference voltages to a high impedance device input, but once you start to pull current through the divider the voltage will decrease dramatically (assuming a load referenced to ground).

Any idea how much current you're talking about?
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: