Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop Spider and late hop additions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadie

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Hop Spider and late hop additions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a large hop spider in my BK that we've used for several batches without issue. I love not having to worry about hop debris in the filter/chiller now as our filter used to clog all the time before the hop spider.

Having said that however, we brewed an IPA yesterday where we added 9 oz of hops late (from 5 minutes to whirlpool) in a 5 gallon batch and when we pulled the hop spider for cleaning a lot of these late addition pellets were still intact and had never dissolved. We whirlpooled for 20 minutes starting at 180 F. using a chugger pump connected to the tangential inlet of the BK but it appears that not much force is applied this way as the hops are just resting in the center of the kettle inside the hop spider.

As we have never had such a large addition so late is what we experienced normal? Do the pellets need to dissolve to get the proper hop utilization? Should we have whirlpooled longer or started at a higher temp?
redllama

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a small startup brewery (7BBL) and we have found similar results with our hop spider. We typically put the early additions in the spider and then all late additions (anything later than 30 min to go) go directly into the boil. This gives us a good balance of minimizing trub and making sure we get full utilization of the hops for the late additions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: