Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Pale Ale (sessionable version)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Electric Pale Ale (sessionable version) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-pale-ale-sessionable-version

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:24 pm; edited 35 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to try this, hopefully Sunday will be brew day. I'll try it with 1099 instead of 1056.

We just ran out of the London Pride clone from early this Summer and I need another session beer!

The half-New Zealand IPA clone is still going strong!
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasted the first semi-carbed sample today! We're on day 15 since the pitch, so still early. OG was 1.042, FG was 1.012. I did use 1099. I ended the dry hop at 6 days... perhaps a little too early. The color is a gorgeous light gold with nice clarity from the gelatin. Aromas in the glass are bright with the scent of green apples and tropical fruit, with maybe a little dank pine. Mouthfeel is great, very light body and obviously sessionable. It's on the dry side, but not too much. I wouldn't want it any drier than this. The flavor is grapefruity, citrusy, and with a little pine and a hint of sweetness. Bitterness is very subtle, but still present.

I'm tempted to add some hops to a teaball and throw that in the keg, but I worry this beer doesn't have the body to support more hops, plus any grassy/vegetable notes from Citra might become very noticeable.

Overall a very nice light but hoppy beer. I can't wait to see how it matures in a few weeks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this one! 15 days after yeast pitch is indeed early but nothing wrong with trying and seeing how things change over time. I find 1 to 1.5 months or so in (after it's fully carb'ed and fully conditioned) it's better.

You're right about the dryness - I wouldn't want it any dryer either. Next time I may try with a little bit of carapils/carafoam to try and give it a bit more body. We'll see!

Let us know what you think after another 3-4 weeks.

Kal

Dan Cook

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

If you're brewing a sessionable pale with the same basic recipe as The Electric Pale Ale (batch #130), and same target volume but with fewer hops and less malt, wouldn't you want to tone down the water treatment too. In particular I am thinking that the sulfate and calcium should come down, either in tandem so as to maintain the same ratio but fewer overall ions, or perhaps just bring down the Sulfate. The latter would give a more 'balanced' beer (i.e. less bitter), which would seem to be the goal of a session ale. Your batch #130 recipe calls for a ratio of 1:5.5 (Cl = 50, sulfate = 275). I am wondering if having a Sulfate concentration of 150ppm, therefore a ratio more like 1:3, would be better?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

That's really a personal choice. I wouldn't do it myself, but you may certainly try both ways and see which you enjoy more. Many British beers are not overly hoppy but do have a lot higher sulphate levels than any of these beers I've posted recipes for. There's a wide range of what most people would fine acceptable with no clear "right" answer.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I've tweaked this recipe slightly (see above) to have it finish at a slightly higher gravity (1.012 instead of 1.008) as I was finding it a tad dry for my tastes.

The biggest change is that the single infusion mash temperature was raised from 152F to 160F and I used a healthy dose of CarapilsŪ or CarafoamŪ. This raises both the original gravity and final gravity as this malt produces mostly unfermentable sugars. The higher mash temperature helps ensure we end up at the target gravity we want (1.012), slightly higher than the 1.010 final gravity of our normal Electric Pale Ale. Too low and a beer can taste overly thin, a common problem with lower alcohol version of beers where nothing but the amount of malt is modified. When making lower ABV versions of your favourite beers you want to re-assess the percentages used in the grist.

This last batch I feel is perfect. This is going to be a staple beer that I plan on always having on tap. I find this 4.3% ABV session version is much more approachable than the regular 6.0% ABV version and it doesn't give up anything in terms of flavour. Don't get me wrong: I love the 6.0% version, but sometimes you want to have 2-3 and not feel the effects (as much).

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Cook

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
UPDATE:

I've tweaked this recipe slightly (see above) to have it finish at a slightly higher gravity (1.012 instead of 1.008) as I was finding it a tad dry for my tastes.

Kal

I've done a variation on Kal's sessionable recipe twice recently and it's been a big hit, especially as the season warms up. Pretty much the same hop schedule as Kal, and I also deliberately targeted FG/OG readings of about 1.045/1.012, but through different methods:

● grain bill = Maris Otter + Vienna + acidulated malt. No Crystal or Cara (and like Kal I use an elevated mash temp)
● a yeast strain with a lower attenuation, therefore a higher terminal gravity
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Base for a fruit beer Reply with quote

Any thoughts on why this base grain bill would or would not work for a fruit beer such as apricot or peach?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not! That said, I've never made beer with fruit... good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Kal

drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light body of this beer seems like it would be ideal for showcasing additions other than hops, like fruit.

You know I STILL have this beer sitting in a keg in my keezer since November? It's nice and smooth, but the hoppiness has since dissipated. The dryness still reminds me to aim for a higher FG with the next attempt, and hopefully your adjustment will do the trick.

After I posted this it occurred to me that you have never written up a fruit beer recipe. I guess you're not a fan?

This past winter we were down in Clearwater and stopped by Dunedin Brewery. They have an absolutely stunning apricot peach beer that I'd like to clone. The only info they publish online is that it's 6% ABV. My first attempt at a clone was an extract batch using about 80% golden light and 20% wheat, with some crystal. I used 1098 yeast (because 1099 wasn't available, and I wanted something fruity). Hopping was minimal at about 13 IBU using Hallertau for bittering, and a single addition of 1 oz Galaxy at 5 min. I put one big can each of apricot and peach puree from VH in the secondary, and then cold crashed with gelatin 1 week later.

The result? Tart as F with obviously British fruitiness. The gelatin did not do much to clear it up, but I only waited two days before kegging. NOT what I wanted at all. I tried to save it with 1/2 lb of lactose in the keg, which has sweetened it up a bit, but it still tastes like an experiment gone wrong. I'm particularly annoyed I did't just use US-05 instead of the 1098.

I think I'm going to try again using a lighter malt base, like this one, perhaps with as much as 40% wheat, use Conan yeast (I saved a jar from a HT clone two weeks ago- attenuation was 75%), and STOP the fermentation in the secondary with K-sorbate or something prior to adding the fruit. I'm also going to keep the hops even simpler this time, noble for about 12-15 IBU max, no aroma. Let the fruit do that work.

I'm curious as to your opinion on a water profile for a beer like this. I went with straight RO water the first time around, but the beer has kind of a "dead" mouthfeel, which I think may be due to lack of salts.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcraig wrote:
After I posted this it occurred to me that you have never written up a fruit beer recipe. I guess you're not a fan?

I wouldn't say I'm not a fan (there aren't really any styles I don't like), just that there are other beers I'll reach for first so I've never been interested in brewing a beer with fruit myself.

Quote:
I'm curious as to your opinion on a water profile for a beer like this. I went with straight RO water the first time around, but the beer has kind of a "dead" mouthfeel, which I think may be due to lack of salts.

I really don't know what the right approach would be. If I had to guess, I'd go with something basic that I do for most of my non-hoppy beers: Ca=50, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=71, S04=69
But that's just me guessing. I have no idea what the fruit would do or how to approach it. More research would be required. I'd suggest you start a new thread about it. Good luck!

Kal

Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this May 28th and have been enjoying it for the past three days. Everything worked perfect with this beer (with the exception of one bum pack of us-05 that didn't take off...another pitch sprinkled on top fixed that).

Probably my favorite of all the beers I've made from the site so far Kal. I did use a hop screen in the boil kettle - I noticed the hops there didn't get agitated as much through the boil, but whether this affected the bitterness..I'm not sure.

Either way, first time I crash chilled by putting the conicals right in the keezer. Can't get over how much I like it and how clear it is.

Tackling the Double Citra IPA next!

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topdollar wrote:
Probably my favorite of all the beers I've made from the site so far Kal.

I'm glad to hear that! It's definitely one of my favourites as well and is always on tap now as guests like it too (actually on 2 taps: The basement bar as well as the sunroom kegerator).

Kal

Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this beer on tap at home and I really like it. I did not use any gelatin and it's a bit cloudy. Going forward I will probably start to use gelatin where appropriate in my beers. I was wondering though if there are any other points in the process that I should be a little more careful with to help get clearer beer. I did use a whirlfloc tablet at 15 minutes.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long's it been in the keg?

For what it's worth, I don't use gelatin much anymore for my hoppy beers. This one I will dry hop in the primary near the end of fermentation then go straight in the keg. After 2 weeks it's settled out. So other than Whirlfloc I don't use anything else.

Kal

Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About two weeks, but I did dry hop it at room temperature. Just moved into serving chest freezer on Friday night. Based on what you said, we'll see how it clears up over the next couple of weeks. Still tastes great, just the geek in me wants the appearance aspect as well.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just chilled it a couple of days ago for the first time you likely have chill haze. It'll go away.

Kal

dward4421

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the update on facebook about tweaking the recipe to make this more like the "New England IPA" style. I know you will not make too many changes at once, but will you still be sticking with the us-05 initially or will you use an English strain? Once my panel arrives in the upcoming weeks, I'm sure this will be the first recipe I attempt!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dward4421 wrote:
I saw the update on facebook about tweaking the recipe to make this more like the "New England IPA" style. I know you will not make too many changes at once, but will you still be sticking with the us-05 initially or will you use an English strain? Once my panel arrives in the upcoming weeks, I'm sure this will be the first recipe I attempt!

The first change was only water adjustments as I mentioned on the Facebook post. It's not even where I expect the water adjustment to eventually be, but I want to take baby steps as I want to learn and compare the differences. Its happily bubbling away now. Wink

In the next month or two I do want to make a full blown NEIPA with different yeast (likely English like you mentioned) ", water, malt bill, hops (lots of fruity ones like Amarillo, Citra, galaxy, mosaic, etc).

Good luck!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: