Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

turbid mash

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkedbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: turbid mash Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was reading about tubid mashing in the fairly recently released book American Sour Beers. I'm wondering is it possible to do a turbid mash in this system. I would like to try and employ this technique in a lambic.

thanks for any help and suggestions.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not.

To quote:

Quote:
Incompletely converted mash: Turbid mashing is the most traditional of lambic brewing techniques. It is similar to decoction, except that it involves removing and boiling liquid (rather than grain) portions of the mash. Unlike more mainstream mash methods, turbid mashing results in large amounts of unconverted starch in the finished wort.

Just pull off what you want into the boil kettle and boil it.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really related to use of the equipment, but to simulate turbid mashing without it you can just add some starch to the kettle as well.
inkedbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I don't see why not.

To quote:

Quote:
Incompletely converted mash: Turbid mashing is the most traditional of lambic brewing techniques. It is similar to decoction, except that it involves removing and boiling liquid (rather than grain) portions of the mash. Unlike more mainstream mash methods, turbid mashing results in large amounts of unconverted starch in the finished wort.

Just pull off what you want into the boil kettle and boil it.

Kal

this may be a silly question but as I'm still in the process of building my system what would be the easiest way to add the boiled mash liquid back to the mash tun? just open the boil kettle valve without and hose and let it drain into another kettle and then pour it back into the mash or could I hook up hoses and pump it back into the mash?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Just dump it back in. I don't see the point of doing anything fancier. That said, I've never brewed this way. I've never tried a turbid mash. I bet 99% of brewers haven't.

I wouldn't worry too much about some of these methods. They're somewhat esoteric (few brewers use them) and any brewing setup can most certainly accommodate something like this once and a while. Take liquid off, boil it, put liquid back. If you were only brewing this way commercially and doing it every day it large volumes, then I'd worry more more about optimizing the process.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I think you're worrying about the easiest way to do things that you may only do once in your lifetime, if at all. Don't worry about optimizing the process behind something you'll likely never use or only use once. You'll spend more time optimizing than the time it takes to just do it. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
J-Brosky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently performed a hybrid Turbid/Step mash with my electric brewery. I had a total of 5 different temperature steps that I wanted to hit; 113, 136, 150, 160, and 168. . I used the HLT/HERMs coil to reach each of these steps. I pulled off stratchy wort at the 136 and 150 F steps and boiled them using a small kettle on my stove top. Because I was using the HLT to reach my temperatures I didn't bother adding the starchy wort back to the mash. I added it all into the boil kettle during the sparge. I used a water/grain ratio of 1.35. Because I didn't add the wort back into the mash I had to top off the mash with some water from the HLT. This is the first time I have ever tried this method. I have no idea how it will turn out but it was enjoyable experimenting.
inkedbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Brosky wrote:
I recently performed a hybrid Turbid/Step mash with my electric brewery. I had a total of 5 different temperature steps that I wanted to hit; 113, 136, 150, 160, and 168. . I used the HLT/HERMs coil to reach each of these steps. I pulled off stratchy wort at the 136 and 150 F steps and boiled them using a small kettle on my stove top. Because I was using the HLT to reach my temperatures I didn't bother adding the starchy wort back to the mash. I added it all into the boil kettle during the sparge. I used a water/grain ratio of 1.35. Because I didn't add the wort back into the mash I had to top off the mash with some water from the HLT. This is the first time I have ever tried this method. I have no idea how it will turn out but it was enjoyable experimenting.

let me know how your beer using this method of mashing turned out. glad to hear i'm not the only who likes to experiment with different brewing techniques.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a very similar method as J-Brosky. I brew in my garage so I boiled the turbid portion with my old turkey fryer. This "lambic" was brewed 2 years ago and I haven't touched it since. I will be trying it soon.

As Kal said this is something that is done once in a great while. I wouldn't try to optimize your brewery for it. Just my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: