Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian Imperial Stout (Bourbon barrel aged)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windquest

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After the first keg, I can say without a doubt.....this is the best beer I have ever brewed. Outstanding, oaked for more than a month, this will hold it's own with anything I have ever tried. Bravo Kal ......this is a real winner. I want to have this on tap year around. Thanks for a great system and even better beers. The American Pale Ale is also one of my best.....wow, it doesn't get better than this!

Henry
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it Henry!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to brew this to have ready for the fall/winter of 2020. Any updates or suggestions for other additions in place of the oaked bourbon cubes. I love this beer as is, so I really don't think there is a need for much change. Still have a few bottles brewed in 2018 and they have turned out to be amazing beers.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:
Getting ready to brew this to have ready for the fall/winter of 2020. Any updates or suggestions for other additions in place of the oaked bourbon cubes.

No updates or suggestions from me. I like the beer as it is! Someone else may have different suggestions.
Keep in mind that per my suggestions on oaking, you need to start soaking that oak a good month or so before you brew.

Cheers!

Kal

Tripel

Drinking: Winter Wit, Kolsch, Flemish Red, Imperial Stout

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this again 3 weeks ago. Excellent recipe. Kegged last weekend. Hit 11.7% ABV. It's resting on nitro. Tasted yesterday, it's young and still a little hot but delicious. I added 2 vanilla beans and 2oz. of cocoa nibs at the end of the boil. I did that on the last batch and it really enhanced the coffee note. Thanks again Kal for all the great recipes. Keep Calm and Brew on.

York

"Whisper to Thunder" Jimmy Page
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! Vanilla beans and cocoa nibs would definitely work well with this beer!

I added your comments to the testimonial too: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/russian-imperial-stout-bourbon-barrel-aged

Kal

biglakewill

Drinking: Barley Wine

Working on: Weissbeir

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal this is one of your best recipes. I entered it in the Shamrock Open in Raleigh.NC and received a 2nd place in the Stouts group with a 40.5 rating. I have only 4 bottles left for some special occasion in the future. Excellent beer....thank you
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the 2nd place win - that's great news!

Kal

Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's time for my annual brew of this beer. I really think this beer is wonderful on it's own without oak. This year I'm considering using Crown Royal (so many people in MN love Crown Royal, so it has some crowd appeal). Has anyone used oak chips soaked in Crown Royal in this beer? I'm willing to give it a go, but thought I would check before proceeding. The last thing I want to do it have to dump 5 gallons because I've ruined it by oaking on Crown Royal.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:
So it's time for my annual brew of this beer. I really think this beer is wonderful on it's own without oak. This year I'm considering using Crown Royal (so many people in MN love Crown Royal, so it has some crowd appeal).

Of course! It's good Canadian Whiskey! Wink

Quote:
Has anyone used oak chips soaked in Crown Royal in this beer? I'm willing to give it a go, but thought I would check before proceeding. The last thing I want to do it have to dump 5 gallons because I've ruined it by oaking on Crown Royal.

My suggestion is to make the beer as you would normally and then if you'd like to see what the Crown Royal adds, just add a bit directly to a glass and see what you think.

That said, I frankly think the bourbon (or crown royal) soaking adds very little flavour bourbon (or whiskey) flavour. It's more about the oak. I've had this beer on tap pretty much permanently for 6 years now and given the ABV it tends to last a couple of years per batch as it's definitely a sipping beer. The bourbon is hard to make out even new so I'm sure the CR would be the same.

Enjoy!

Kal

JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When carbonating this beer for a nitro tap, do you carbonate with CO2 like normal then hook up to nitro blend for dispensing, or carbonate the beer with the CO2/nitro mixture?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffW wrote:
When carbonating this beer for a nitro tap, do you carbonate with CO2 like normal then hook up to nitro blend for dispensing, or carbonate the beer with the CO2/nitro mixture?

Both work. I've always just hooked it up to my beergas and let it carbonate "naturally" from the CO2/Nitro blend. Takes a week or two, but this is not a beer you want to consume very young anyway. If you pre-carb with CO2 you have to be careful not to overdo it.

Here's me pouring a sample: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7FZ8KJnihQ/?utm_source=ig_embed

Kal

JeffW

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Will just hook up to the beergas and let it happen.

Brewed this two weeks ago and I'm really excited to try it.

Thanks for the quick reply!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy Jeff!

This beer is one one that I've had now permanently on tap for about 6 years now. It's not one we reach for often but it's delicious! (If I do say so myself). I've always served it on beer gas through a nitro faucet.

Kal

DFB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Enjoy Jeff!

This beer is one one that I've had now permanently on tap for about 6 years now. It's not one we reach for often but it's delicious! (If I do say so myself). I've always served it on beer gas through a nitro faucet.

Kal

Kal
Have you ever bottled this one? I'm tight on keg space so I'm wondering if I should bottle some of this one.... Currently in carboys waiting.
Thanks
Kris
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not Kris! You can certainly bottle any beer you like.

Kal

JSB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it make sense to have a keg of this beer in a keezer with just a picnic tap?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSB wrote:
Would it make sense to have a keg of this beer in a keezer with just a picnic tap?

Hi Jeff,

Do you mean when carbonated with beer gas (mix of CO2/Nitro)? You need a stout faucet to correctly pour beers on beer gas as it has a special restrictor plate that knocks the gas out of solution: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/stout-faucet
Video of this in action from the recipe page: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7FZ8KJnihQ/?utm_source=ig_embed

If you use CO2 to carbonate a beer then you may certainly serve that beer with just a picnic tap.

Cheers!

Kal

JSB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... CO2, with an inline pressure regulator

And one of these:

https://www.homebrewing.org/Keg-Faucet-Adaptor-Assembly-Ball-Lock_p_909.html?AffId=95

[Kal feel free to 'fix' the link... I took a stab at adding a affiliate part]
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! That'll work just fine for any beer. You may find the pours a bit "violent" as you have basically no hose (so very little restriction) so you may want to turn the pressure down a bit (or just pour and wait).

Thanks for using the affiliate link - it's appreciated!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: