Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian Imperial Stout (Bourbon barrel aged)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love2brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal,

Couple questions for you. I brewed this recipe a couple weeks ago and am just getting around to asking about it. It has turned out great so far, I split the batch to do both on C02, but one with the oak and the other regular so I could compare them side by side.

This leads me to my two questions:
[list]1) C02 - When carbing this at 1.6 volumes, in a 40 degree kegerator, the regulator should be set @ ~2.47 PSI. That pressure is not really enough to push the beer out so how do you serve the beer without overcarbing it?

[list]2) IBU in Recipe - When I build my recipes in Beersmith, I follow your IBU calculations, however, I can't get the IBU's to match yours when using the same base. I checked it against brewersfriend IBU calculator and it came out almost exactly the same as Beersmith, but not the same as yours. Below are some screenshots for comparison. Do you know where this difference comes from?

PS: Thank you for posting all of these recipes! I tried to insert the screenshots as .jpg but they don't show up properly. Sorry if the post ends up a little off, I added the word doc to see the comparison.

Electric Brewer-RIS.jpg
 Description:
Electric Brewer
 Filesize:  123.27 KB
 Viewed:  24866 Time(s)

Electric Brewer-RIS.jpg

Brewers Friend-RIS.jpg
 Description:
Brewers Friend
 Filesize:  96.65 KB

Brewers Friend-RIS.jpg

Beersmith-RIS.jpg
 Description:
Beersmith
 Filesize:  114.35 KB

Beersmith-RIS.jpg

RIS IBU Comparison.docx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RIS IBU Comparison.docx
 Filesize:  354.07 KB
 Downloaded:  619 Time(s)

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love2brew wrote:
1) C02 - When carbing this at 1.6 volumes, in a 40 degree kegerator, the regulator should be set @ ~2.47 PSI. That pressure is not really enough to push the beer out so how do you serve the beer without overcarbing it?

Short lines/big diameter lines/lines that do not restrict. Or serve a different way, not on tap.

Quote:
2) IBU in Recipe - When I build my recipes in Beersmith, I follow your IBU calculations, however, I can't get the IBU's to match yours when using the same base. I checked it against brewersfriend IBU calculator and it came out almost exactly the same as Beersmith, but not the same as yours. Below are some screenshots for comparison. Do you know where this difference comes from?

There are many different ways to calculate IBU, and different software may use different methods which gives different numbers. IBUs are one of the least useful / least understood numbers. Very difficult to compare given that the formulas are somewhat useless.

The difference between 54 and 69 IBU for the 90 min addition and 12 to 16 IBU For the 15 min addition is likely software differences.

Your document didn't show your volume either so that could account for differences.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Love2brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Short lines/big diameter lines/lines that do not restrict. Or serve a different way, not on tap.

Thanks. I have always wondered that. I will probably put them in bombers and free up the kegs once ready.

Quote:
There are many different ways to calculate IBU, and different software may use different methods which gives different numbers. IBUs are one of the least useful / least understood numbers. Very difficult to compare given that the formulas are somewhat useless.

I am definitely finding this out. The New Zealand IPA was an example of where I matched the IBU's in software, as opposed to adjusting your quantities based on AA%. It just didn't come out the same, much better when exactly compared. It's too bad because the software will auto calc the IBU's. Doesn't make much of a difference when making my own recipes but a huge difference when duplicating yours.

Thanks again for providing such a large base of excellent beers to brew! Gets the creative juices flowing Mug
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little concerned about brewing this one yesterday. It's the first brew session I did that ended up maxing out my setup (40.8#'s). I Had to do a couple of tweaks to pull it off but ended up hitting all my numbers. It was also pretty cool to break in my SS conical for the first time.

My normal recirculation manifold configuration.

RIP>RIS MOD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: This just in! Reply with quote

Racked to #3 char, bourbon (wild turkey 101) conditioned barrel on day 14. Will taste after 6 weeks. Something to look forward to!

SG 1.103
FG 1.022

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! How'd it taste before?

Kal

Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nice! How'd it taste before?

Kal

I kegged the other 5 G"s to carb and condition at the time I racked for the barrel test. The sample was great! Will give some feedback after I compare the the two side by side. Did the same thing with the Black Butte Porter a few weeks ago and the vanilla, oak, and char notes really came thru but weren't overwhelming.

Me and another gentleman are experimenting with some new 5, 10, & 15 gallon barrels using different char levels, beer styles, and recipes before he opens his barrel aged beer, tasting room!

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Oak Cubes, is 2 oz for 10 gallons? Just wanted to verify.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:
For the Oak Cubes, is 2 oz for 10 gallons? Just wanted to verify.

I do 2 oz per 10 gallons. I've updated the recipe to make this clearer.
Make sure to read my using oak in beer article too: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30859

Cheers!

Kal

Walts Malt

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tapped one of two kegs of this (saving the second - Oaked and Bourbon - for a Christmas Party) and still think this recipe stacks up with all the better commercial examples out there. If you like the style, you really should brew this.

Thanks again Karl for this recipe.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re welcome! Enjoy!

Kal

Walts Malt

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:

Thanks again Karl for this recipe.

Dang autocorrect. Sorry, Kal.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! I get Karl and Kai all the time. Wink

Kal / Karl / Kai

Diveralan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started making the RIS and the recipe looks fantastic. However I have one small problem, When I ordered the ingredients I accidentally ordered Warrior hops instead of Magnum. I didn't notice this until I started the mash. Can I sub these? The warrior are higher in AA content at 17.9 AA. My other options include Northern Brewer but I only have .7 oz. I also have Chinook.

Thanks
Alan

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diveralan wrote:
I just started making the RIS and the recipe looks fantastic. However I have one small problem, When I ordered the ingredients I accidentally ordered Warrior hops instead of Magnum. I didn't notice this until I started the mash. Can I sub these? The warrior are higher in AA content at 17.9 AA.

I'd have no issue sub'ing the Magnum for Warrior given that both are clean/neutral bitterness. I'd try to aim for the same overall bitterness however, so I'd cut the 60 min addition a bit if your replacement hops are higher AA. I'd keep the 15 min addition the same.

Good luck!

Jak

Diveralan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. Some days just aren't meant for brewing, just burnt up a SSR.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Going back a few posts...2oz for 10 gallons. That’s what I did. I filled my mason jar to cover all my oak cubes, soaked for 21 days, strained cubes, placed in dry hopping tube, and put it in the keg. Just tasted the beer. While it tastes great, I’m not picking up the distinct Bourbon flavor I had last year.

Should I have not strained the cubes and dumped the bourbon in as well? I don’t believe I did that last year, but can’t remember.

If I want a little more bourbon flavor, what’s a safe amount to start with? Maybe a tablespoon for five gallons?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get much Bourbon flavour. If you want more, you can definitely add the Bourbon too. Up to you. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30859

Not sure how much you should use to start with. Go easy, stir gently, taste, and add more if it's not where you want it. You can always add more, but can't take away.

Kal

braindead

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal
Would you still go with this water profile ?
Ca=50, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=70, SO4=70

Just been researching Imperial Stout recipes and so many varying ranges.
Palmers Imperial Stout is much different.
Just want the perfect profile for it
thx
My water is
Ca=11.5, Mg=2.6, Na=13.1, Cl=12.4, SO4=26.5 PH 7.5
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braindead wrote:
Hi Kal
Would you still go with this water profile ?
Ca=50, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=70, SO4=70

Yup. I have it on tap now (second batch) and I went with an identical recipe and water profile as the first batch as it was fantastic (and still is).

Now that said, that's my taste. Feel free to use whatever you like if you want something different out of the beer.

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: