Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian Imperial Stout (Bourbon barrel aged)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFITZ

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
What are the chances of pulling this off in a keggle mash tun and boiler?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFITZ wrote:
What are the chances of pulling this off in a keggle mash tun and boiler?

I don't know your boil-off rate, mash efficiency, or losses, but I would imagine you would have to scale down the volume given that you only have 15 gallons to work with.

Do the math with your mash efficiency and see what sort of amount of grain you need to see if it'll fit in your keggle. (At 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness, ~40 lbs of grain needs 15.7 gallons of space, so it won't fit). At 88% mash efficiency my 20 gallon kettle was nearly full with ~40 lbs of grain. Your mash efficiency is probably going to be lower as keggles aren't as efficient (no stepped bottom) so more grain is probably going to be required.

You can see how full my 20 gallon mash tun (middle kettle) is in this pic when I brewed this beer a couple of weeks ago:

Couple of videos:

Mashing: https://www.instagram.com/p/BK6Z4xjAgPI/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery
Boiling: https://www.instagram.com/p/BK6n3XpACYa/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Then take your boil off rate and see how much you need to collect in the boil kettle to end up with the expected post-boil amount. In my case I have 15.9 gallons at 212F when I first come to a boil. That's more than a keggle can hold.

So the max amount you can produce depends on your losses, your mash efficiency, and boil-off rate.

Good luck! It's definitely a beer worth making and I'm sure many scale down to 5-6 gallons instead of 12. In fact, I find most beers just don't work with 15 gallon keggles - not just high gravity ones with long boils like this. I'll often start with 13.9 gallons pre-boil which for me would just foam up too much in a 15 gallon keggle. YMMV. Depends how you brew/how vigorous you boil/etc.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've settled in for my long brew day, and have taken all the warnings into account. I have a quick yeast question. Is there any reason not to mix Safale yeast with Wyeast? Any contraindications? My reason for doing it would be to ensure that I have plenty of yeast for this big beer.
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
Is there any reason not to mix Safale yeast with Wyeast?

I think you'll be fine. The Wyeast needs to be aerated or oxygenated well normally, but even more so since this is a big beer. Generally the Safale doesn't need to be aerated, but it won't hurt to do so. Otherwise I think they are a very similar strain, and even if they weren't it's still ok to mix yeasts. Good luck!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Wyeast did you want to mix? If it's Wyeast 1056 which is basically same Chico strain as US-05 (and white labs WLP-001) then I don't see any issues.

McGruber is right on his info too (though I still aerate my US-05 beers...) Wink

Kal

OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question gang. Brewed this last Saturday and hit all numbers just fine. First week seems to be going well. Aerated like Kal said with oxygen and 12 hours later. Did a big yeast starter. Haven't noticed a big fermentation like I thought it would do. I know this is a slow fermenting beer but very little activity. Is that normal to not have a lot of yeast activity?
TheGecko

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, both times I've brewed it the fermentation has taken off like a rocket and been explosive. That said, if you pitched recommended amount of 05, give it time. How much did you pitch? When did you pitch it? Did you rehydrate? If not, maybe a little lag time but I would expect it to take off!
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
Haven't noticed a big fermentation like I thought it would do.

How you are judging this? By airlock activity?

Depending on the vessels used, airlock activity is not always a great sign of anything. Especially true if using buckets or other vessels that do not seal well as CO2 will escape other ways. Sometimes the airlock/stopper may not be in tight and CO2 escapes around stopper instead of going the airlock.

TheGecko has some really good questions too, the answers to which will help. I'd also ask: What temperature was the wort at when you pitched, what temp has the wort been at since then, and is it stable? (Ie: Is it in a controlled fermentation chamber of some sort - you want stable temps with any yeast - at least at the start, with a slow natural ramp up at the end. One of the worst things you can do to a yeast is ferment in (say) a basement that swings 10 degrees up and down every day).

Kal

OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in answer to all answers. Sort temp was 64 when pitched and is temperature controlled so stays tight on it. Pitched 60 grams rehydrated 05, and liquid Wyeast after making a starter. Plenty of yeast. Just no Krausen.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the expiry date on the dry yeast?
Did you have any issues making the Wyeast starter? (Ie was it slow to start too)?

Kal

OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the expiration date but all yeast was purchased 3 Days. Score. And the Wyeast starter was like a rocket. So in total I began the Wyeast starter with 5 packs and left for a day, and still added 60 grams of 05. Aerated with pure oxygen from a stone and. Ew bottle of O2 before pitching and 12 hours after. Haven't tested anything except starting gravity, which was 1.096. Don't know, guess I'll just follow it through and see what happens. Don't remember my biology but don't think the yeasts compet for resources, but it is a RussiN so maybe!
McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I tweaked Kal's recipe a little bit for a RIS I made last year. Mine also didn't seem to have ever have a lot of crazy blow off activity, but at three weeks it was still bubbling more than once per minute. I did a 4 L starter and oxygenated well. My fermenters are not temperature controlled, but in a stable 68' F room.

Also, when I dumped the yeast (1056) out of my conical after primary was done I was surprised at the lack of a yeast cake. I was further surprised when secondary and fermenter clean-out also didn't yeild more yeast. Seems the yeast stayed in suspension and never really flocc'd out until I kegged and cold crashed- maybe because of the high gravity? It ended up at 11.4% ABV though, so just be patient.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
Don't know the expiration date but all yeast was purchased 3 Days. Score.

Not sure what that means - you purchased the yeast 3 days ago? Purchase date doesn't matter - it's expiry date that matters, though dry yeast is fairly tolerant. In fact, while I don't recommend it, the dry US-05 I used for my last batch just a month ago was 10 months expired. No issues. I find US-05 (if stored at freezer temps) is fine. Not true with some other yeasts. Definitely not try with liquid yeasts. I always hydrate my dry yeast to make sure it's viable.

Quote:
And the Wyeast starter was like a rocket. So in total I began the Wyeast starter with 5 packs and left for a day, and still added 60 grams of 05.

If you stepped up from 5 packs of liquid yeast, while it depends on how much you stepped up, you likely had enough yeast there for 10 gallons of this beer without having to add in any dry yeast. The amount of dry yeast I recommend (if only adding dry) is 60g so you've used way more yeast than you need. Just a heads up for next time. See the recipe for more info.

Quote:
Haven't tested anything except starting gravity, which was 1.096. Don't know, guess I'll just follow it through and see what happens.

Yup. Nothing you can really do now. Test it if you like. It's probably already a ways down. I brewed this just recently again (Sep 28, 2016) and it went from 1.100 to 1.048 in 4 days fermenting at 64F (wort temp) with 60g of US-05. After about a week of fermenting I let the temp naturally ramp up to 70F and it took another 6 days to go from 1.048 to 1.023. Then to go the last 2 points from 1.023 to 1.021 took 8 days. It's been sitting on oak now since Oct 16th.

Kal

OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just tested, after 3 weeks of fermentation. Was at 1.0444. My thought, especially with all the yeast I added, was that it would be way lower, and closer to being done. (If you read a couple of posts above this) Temperature controlled fermentor, at 70. Was just wondering 2 additional thoughts. Do you think it'll come down? (I know that's a loaded question) and Can you add more yeast at this time? Have people done that and have it work? The biology guy in me says there is no reason that it shouldn't work, as there is food for new yeast, but not sure what that would do? Thanks

Also, looking forward to getting this into bourbon barrel. I've got some spent 5 gallon ones that I want to do 5 gallons in keg, and 5 in barrel.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
So I just tested, after 3 weeks of fermentation. Was at 1.0444.

Wow - that's really high for 3 weeks. Sounds like it stalled for some reason unfortunately.
For comparison sake, I just brewed this one again back on Sep 28 and fermentation went something like this:

Sep 28, 2016 (5PM): Wort created. 1.100 (original gravity)
Sep 28, 2016 (10PM): Wort chilled to 64F & aerated, hydrated 60g US-05 and pitched (into ~11 gallons). Fermenting fridges set to 62F which gives a wort temp of ~64F.
Oct 2, 2016: Wort at 1.049
Oct 3, 2016: Turned off fermenting fridges to allow wort to rise naturally to 70-72F.
Oct 8, 2016: Wort at 1.023
Oct 16, 2016: Wort at 1.021 (final target gravity), Racked to 5 gallon glass carboys, added oak to let it soak for ~1 month.

Quote:
Do you think it'll come down? (I know that's a loaded question)

What has the gravity been doing over time? Do you have a date vs. gravity list like above? If it hasn't moved in a week or so odds are it's done.

Quote:
Can you add more yeast at this time?

If the gravity hasn't moved in a week or so you might as well try.

Quote:
The biology guy in me says there is no reason that it shouldn't work, as there is food for new yeast, but not sure what that would do?

Usually the problem is that there's no oxygen left for the yeast, that the conditions are not ideal.

Kal

OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me give you an update on what I've done on this, since my "fermentation problem". After the 3 weeks of fermentation, and my reading of still a high gravity, I went ahead and added 60 more grams of yeast, and let it sit for another week and took a new reading. Still 1.040! I said "screw it" and was prepared to just have a really week beer. Then for kicks and giggles, i tested with the normal hydrometer, and it ended up being 1.018. I had been using a digital meter, so i tested them next to each other. Floating hydrometer read 1.018 and digital read 1.040. Guess the digital isn't working well.

Fast forward to tasting and kegging, it's awesome!!!!! Even my wife who only likes the lighter beer that I make, was like, WOW! that's really good! About to finish the second part of the experiment; split batch with 5 gallons straight in keg, and 5 gallons in a bourbon barrel. It sat in barrel for about a month and just ended up in keg. Tasting it right away, was not as good as straight in keg, but we will see over time.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What "digital meter" are you using? Most refractometers (digital and analog/optic) will not work correctly once fermentation has started and there is alcohol present, so what you are seeing may be completely normal. For complete details, see the documentation that came with your meter.

There are online calculators available that try to get around this but they are somewhat flaky and may introduce extra errors.

Kal

P.S. Gravity finishing very high doesn't only make the beer weaker in terms of alcohol, but if it's too high it'll be very sweet and undrinkable as well.

g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal,

I'm going to brew this beer either this weekend or next and I was wondering what lovibond chocolate you used. Lovibond of chocolate seems to vary quite a bit between maltsters and I would like to get close to what you went with.

Thanks,

Scott
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I used Muntons Chocolate malt which they rate as being somewhere between 340 - 414.5L.

Kal

g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: