Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian Imperial Stout (Bourbon barrel aged)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Browningbuck

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
foomench wrote:

Did you think about running that through the grain bed again?

we fly sparged it, so i had about 18gal of volume in the mash tun once we were at pre boil volume(instead of stopping the water pump we still had it going past the volume of the 5 gals we should have pumped in on the fly(normally we arent worried about having too much water, part of the distraction issue) . if i were to drain off what was left in the mash (i think thats about 13.2gals (4.8 gals absorbed by grain) and i tested the grav of what was in the mash tun after sparging while i was boiling and it was only 1.011 which isnt much sugar 26 g per L) i doubt running it over the grains would have yielded any more sugar.

i am very interested in hearing your thoughts though? hope the extra data helps.
Discdoc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reviews or description of this RIS from someone who has made it?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discdoc wrote:
Any reviews or description of this RIS from someone who has made it?

There's one about ~5 posts back:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=307363#307363

You can also refer to the original recipe and my description there.
Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browningbuck wrote:
... if i were to drain off what was left in the mash (i think thats about 13.2gals (4.8 gals absorbed by grain) and i tested the grav of what was in the mash tun after sparging while i was boiling and it was only 1.011 which isnt much sugar 26 g per L) i doubt running it over the grains would have yielded any more sugar.

i am very interested in hearing your thoughts though? hope the extra data helps.

Yeah, that sugar is pretty low and if the tun is maxed out with water, that wouldn't have been easy. I don't think it would have been practical, but something to think about.

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This beer is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! Love it! Thanks!
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! I still have one keg left that I've been aging. It'll go on tap in the next ~12 months.

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I brewed this one on April 18, 2015 and carbed it with CO2 and just love the flavor. Definitely one of my all time favorite stouts and one that I will brew consistently along with the Kolsch...
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
joeg

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we want to get as many fermentables out of the mash as we can, so mashing in at 150 degrees will accomplish this.
How will this affect the mouth feel of the finished beer?
Will the 90 minute mash and 120 minute boil help in that area?
I am planning on brewing this weekend
Thanks for your help
TheGecko

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeg wrote:
I know we want to get as many fermentables out of the mash as we can, so mashing in at 150 degrees will accomplish this.
How will this affect the mouth feel of the finished beer?
Will the 90 minute mash and 120 minute boil help in that area?
I am planning on brewing this weekend
Thanks for your help

The 2 hour boil definitely thickens it up. Also, the high amount of dark/roasted malt provides some sugars that are less fermentable. I've made this recipe a couple times (including last Sunday), and couldn't be happier with it. This stuff ages like a champ, too. I usually put 5 gallons on nitro and 5 gallons in bombers to age.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We mash at 150F to ensure that we attenuate the beer far enough. Yeast attenuates a certain percentage so all other things being equal, two beers with different starting gravities will finish at different gravities. The higher starting gravity beer will finish at a higher gravity too. If the starting gravity is very high (such as this one) you want to mash low to ensure the beer's not overly sweet.

This one finished in the low 1.020's because the starting gravity was at 1.100. If the starting gravity had been 1.050, it would have probably finished around 1.010 and may be to dry for the style, so you'd mash that beer higher to give the same sweetness/dryness balance.

That said, mouthfeel's also about the ingredients too.

We mash long because of the relatively low mash temp. The lower the mash temp, the longer it takes for the starches to convert.

The long boil helps bring the efficiency back up a bit given that it's going to be lower due to the high gravity. This was asked earlier in the thread here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=306523#306523

Good luck with the brew!

I have some on tap on nitro too - it's over a year old and it's fantastic!

Kal

joeg

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies
This one sounds great. its going to be a long 3 to 6 months before serving
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I found mine was phenomenal after only a month.

Kal

TheGecko

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

Agreed. Never would've believed this beer is ready to drink after 1 month, but with a close eye on fermentation temp, I've found it is. Brew it up you guys!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGecko wrote:
kal wrote:

Kal

Agreed. Never would've believed this beer is ready to drink after 1 month, but with a close eye on fermentation temp, I've found it is. Brew it up you guys!

Old Rasputen is bottled only 3 weeks after production. Of course, they've nailed down their process on this beer quite well I should say. It's a wonderful RIS.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight update to the recipe:

*After racking to the brite tank (secondary), I like to mimic a bourbon barrel aged taste by adding two ounces of American medium toast oak cubes that were soaked in bourbon for a few weeks directly into the brite tank with the beer. These get left in for ~21 days at room temperature and then the beer is kegged (taken off the oak). The resulting beer after a few months of aging is a subtle toasted oak/bourbon flavour as you would get with bourbon barrel aging without all the complexities of barrel management. More information on using oak in beer.

Soaking American medium toast oak cubes in bourbon.

I have some on tap at the moment that is nearly 2 years old and there's still a subtle bourbon/oak taste to it. Fantastic!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal, the instructions state to rack to secondary, cold crash, add gelatin. let clear for 2-3 days and then keg. how does the oak soak play into this? seems like you transfer to secondary, soak on oak for a few weeks and then cold crash/gelatin/keg. is this correct?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotrequired wrote:
kal, the instructions state to rack to secondary, cold crash, add gelatin. let clear for 2-3 days and then keg. how does the oak soak play into this? seems like you transfer to secondary, soak on oak for a few weeks and then cold crash/gelatin/keg. is this correct?

Correct! Though keep in mind there's no right or wrong way to do this. Some have even fermented in oak barrels or added oak to the primary.

First time I did this (2 years ago) I had already kegged up the beer and wanted to try one of the kegs with a subtle bourbon/oak taste so I put the ounce of oak cubes in one of these and dangled it in the keg for ~3 weeks at room temp: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Stainless-Steel-Dry-Hopper-for-Kegs

Kal

Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this beer next in line to brew and had a question. Has anyone had problems with US-05 (or equivalent) stalling out in a beer this big? I'm going to make a pretty large starter with a couple of packs of yeast and decant before pitching, but thought I would see if there were any other tips to make sure it ferments out.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to make a starter if you pitch the recommended amount of yeast. You should be fine. Good luck with the brew!

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have this one fermenting away right now, 10 gallon batch. due to the amount of yeast required, i built two starters, one for each carboy. i used a fresh pack of wyeast 1056 for each starter. pitched last saturday afternoon, lots of activity for the first few days, definitely use a blowoff tube. after nine days, the airlock is still popping about once every two-three seconds. i haven't taken a gravity reading yet but it would seem it is fermenting away just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: